• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Horus Vision Users

Re: Horus Vision Users

I like it a lot. Got my fingers crossed that their reticles will make their way into a major manufacturer's scopes.... You do NOT need the PDA, even though it might be nice if you're financially well-off. Just figure out your dope the old fashioned way, or use something like this to get you close.

Hope that helps,
Sfx

I have been running one since 2004 Hours H25. Its a little crowded and the ret is a little thick, ranging is easy and multi target engagement is a cake walk. It's a Mil/Mil scope, you take the good with the bad.

I'd say and its been said, that it's good for learning or for beginners but it has not failed me yet and I got mine for 900 bucks new in the box. MY buddy got one for 600 used. Tough to beat those numbers.

If you get a good deal on one that works you wont be disappointed. If you need Customer service your Fucked.

KT

I have the Horus 3-12x50 Hawk.

What I am about to say is subjective ok, so take it for what its worth.

I think that a person that has not used the Horus system, I would advise you to order a Hawk. The cost is $500, thats a lower cost than most long range optics.

If you do not like it, you can sale it here on SH for $400 to $450 and et some of your money back.

If you do not understand how a unit of measure works like MOA or Mil, this Horus system is not your cup of tea. If you like to dial DOPE, you can do so with a Horus optic, but thats not what it is designed for.

I will tell you this. I do not think the Horus hawk rifle scope as a whole is of the same quality of $700 to $1000 optics. But then again I did not buy a $700 to $1000 optic. I bought a $500 optic. So to compare it to a Leupold MK-4 is not a fair thing to do.

I have seen most lower end optics "less than $600" fail at the adjustment of the reticle. What I am talking about is dialing DOPE, ZERO shift, and such things.

Since the Horus Hawk is a ZERO and hold design I find this past experience useful but does not apply to this situation. Now do not read in to this. I am not saying the Horus is a POS. Just past uses of optics at this price point experiences.

The Horus 3-12x50 Hawk I have is a great optic, its on my 18" CLE SPR. I when I selected the optic I went with the best mix of use, application of, training needs and my goals for the 18" CLE SPR.

The Horus Hawk fit all the above needs I have. So far, no issues with this optic at all, the reticle is as advertised, works real well, and since I have a full understanding of the MILRAD system, I can do more things with this reticle using less effort than most other MILRAD reticle designs.

John

thanks for the in put guys, I have been using mil dots for years but am in need of another scope and the horus vision has my attention for puting on either my 300 rum or 338 lapua.

I say go for it!!!!!

I love mine, I know Clark K has a 4-16 on his Barrett Model 82A1 and its worked for YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would look at your DOPE in .1 MILRAD and pick the best reticle for your needs. The Hawk fit mine great, do to the fact I use a 300yd ZERO with .223 and the H425 has 8 mils down and 4 mils up, so I can hold from 100yds to 800yds just fine.

John

From everything I've READ, the reticle really works for fast target acquisition. When we get overrun with zombies, I would love to have that reticle from at the hilltop as I fend off the hordes. But when I thought about getting one of their reticles in a USO scope, it was something like $400 extra just for the license to use their reticle!!!!

You don't need a PDA. Just convert your MOA dope to milliradians by dividing your MOA dope by 3.438.

Then zero the scope at 100 yards, and just hold everything in milliradians.

I put a raptor on my .308 and I really enjoy it. I like being able to hold instead of dialing so it suits me fine. I'm thinking of getting a hawk for my AR for coyote hunting. It seems to make leading a target easier when you have marks instead of holding out in space. I didn't have to buy the software for it to work for me, I just used the eskimo site to figure mine. I did however buy a pda and the exbal for hopes of going long with my setup or putting it over on my ar50.

No complaints so far.As matter of fact my favorite scope a Horus 8-26 varmint sits of course, on my favorite rifle.A 6x47L MAK tube gun.

I've got the MP program on Palm and all my shooting buddies become more impressed every time we go out.We set the steel from 300 to 1000 yards and I tell them the coordinates given by the program(including wind) and they bang away.Granted they aren't real experienced shooters but sometimes they get confused as to how many revolutions they've cranked on their own rifles and scopes.I will have to actually time myself but I think I can hit all 8 steels in a minute or so.

Yah its not as clear as my Nightforce but I like the reticle system.I kinda wish I could talk myself into a USO with the Horus ret but just cant pry the money out of my hands.

Works for me. Have the H25 in my scope as well as my wife's rifle sports a Raptor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barry5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for all that have used the Horus Vision is it good or bad and do you have to have the pda software to use it. </div></div>

I had a USO with Horus Reticle in it. I never got past the learning curve and sold it just for that reason. Absolutely nothing wrong with it just to time intensive when I first got into LR.

I had the PDA but never used it. It shot fine but there was just TOO MUCH too look at in my personal opinion. Many people swear by them I just didn't care for mine..

To me, the Horus reticle is entirely simpler than a scope you have to dial.

You don't have to calibrate your scope clicks, since you aren't using any. Think you have a scope that doesn't need that procedure? Think again. Leupold M1 dials are supposed to be MOA. They aren't - they're actually in inches per hundred yards, or IPHY.

You don't have to dial windage.

You never have to worry about getting a turn off in dialing elevation.

To make a second shot correction, all you do is to note where on the grid the first shot impacted relative to your original point of aim, put that spot on the target, and pull the trigger. No computations.

It's conventional scopes which are complicated.

is it that time of year again? To place our presents under the Horus reticle tree?

Well, I like the reticle. I also think they are overpriced, and I have found that doing business with HorusVision is a huge pain in the ass.

I could tell you stories...

And I probably will. See you later this week.
laugh.gif

yeah.... JV has a few stories on that....

yup! see you Thursday!

Once you learn to look through, not at the reticle, and think in mils, the Horus reticle is hard to beat for banging steel.

For shooting small groups at extended range a more traditional reticle is preferable.

Just my experience.

Lindy,

I totally agree. I'm not a huge fan of the Horus line of scopes, though. They're pretty good. Not great. I would love to see Horus license their reticles to Leupold, or PR. Last time I spoke to Horus, it seemed like it might happen.

I wonder, how many people here (besides me :D) would buy a Horus-equipped Leupold or PR scope? I want an H27 in an FFP LR/T or ER/T.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoundFx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lindy,

I totally agree. I'm not a huge fan of the Horus line of scopes, though. They're pretty good. Not great. I would love to see Horus license their reticles to Leupold, or PR. Last time I spoke to Horus, it seemed like it might happen.

I wonder, how many people here (besides me :D) would buy a Horus-equipped Leupold or PR scope? I want an H27 in an FFP LR/T or ER/T. </div></div>

+1

Horus reticles have been put in U.S. Optics, Leupold (not many), and Schmidt and Bender scopes. More would be, but for the price. Well, it's their business what they charge.

Hoping a manufacturer comes to some agreement with Horus so they can market a better quality scope at a less eye watering price.

I'd sure buy a Leupy with a Horus reticle in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BETTER yet a NIGHTFORCE+HORUS.

Or if even Horus would give a less fearfull warranty and would of had a more responsive CS!

I'd sell all my other scopes and replace them with scopes of Horus Reticles if I had a lifetime warranty and they could be had for $1000 price tag.

I spoke with some lady at HV yesterday she said the only deal they were working on was with Schmidt and Bender for the H27. The deal is not finalized yet so the only way to get a HV reticle is to buy their scope, for now. Even at that you can't get the H27 at all, which I think is their best reticle the make.

Horus as a company sucks balls. Their reticle rocks though. As for a leaning curve, I found it was so easy it's actually been a crutch for me from having to learn the basics.

I pretty much just use the dope my PDA gives me, shoot it, adjust accordingly then hold.

I will usually dial in a 600y zero when shooting out to 1K just to keep off the bottom of the glass, but the rest is all holding.

I find it helpful when I lob one out there then look at the POI through the reticle. It's helped me put a numeric value on wind.

Even if the only H27 scope was an S&B PMII and cost $3600, I'd buy one. I HAD a real nice PMII, but PR wouldn't do the conversion (a surprise to all involved, except maybe PR). It was the only reason I bought the S&B in the first place. Sigh...... Can't blame PR, they're busy with their new scope, but it was a drag.

Only if they changed policies in the last two weeks. Was that your understanding?

When I spoke to them a couple weeks ago, there was no current option for retrofits, or an H27, even in Horus brand scopes.

Yes no reto-fits is what she said to me as well, the H27 would only be available in the S&B but their old deal was up and a new deal was being negotiated. IF/When they get it worked out HV is where you will get the S&B. Result NO H27 as of now.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I was about to whip out the credit card.
laugh.gif

It is BEST suited for the new shooter, you have the option to "grow" out of it, once you can put all the info the scope has in your head.

Lindy: "You don't have to calibrate your scope clicks, since you aren't using any. Think you have a scope that doesn't need that procedure? Think again. Leupold M1 dials are supposed to be MOA. They aren't - they're actually in inches per hundred yards, or IPHY.

You don't have to dial windage.

You never have to worry about getting a turn off in dialing elevation."

JRose: "Their reticle rocks though. As for a leaning curve, I found it was so easy it's actually been a crutch for me from having to learn the basics."

KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SINGLE.SHOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

JRose: "Their reticle rocks though. As for a leaning curve, I found it was so easy it's actually been a crutch for me from having to learn the basics."

</div></div>

BTW, that comment was directed towards learning the basics of the milradian system.

All my scopes are mil/mil now, and I've still yet to completely learn it. I know how to work my Horus and it's I've kinda lazily grown accustom to it..

Waking this to life. I was looking to buy a Leupold Mark 4 spotting scope, and the best reticle imo is the H32. But the price difference between the normal reticles, like MLR and mildot and Horus is 700 dollars! It 41% MORE than the exact same scope with another reticle.

Does Horus have a patent on a MIL-grid, and therefore can elevate the prices? Or do they just pay off "pro snipers" and celebrity shooters to advocate for their reticles and make it a "brand name", just like putting a lacoste croc on a regular polo shirt will double the price?

Making a MIL-grid reticle isnt rocket science, so there has to be a reason why optics producers wont develop their own design...

Everybody else here has hit the major points, so I'll answer the question about the PDA.
I have the Horus Vision PDA with Atrag, and it works great. It is usually left at the house though when I go to the range. I love how user friendly Shooter is on my droid phone. The ATrag used to make it to the range so that I could help "true" rifles that others are using. But now that I found the Muzzle Velocity tool on Shooter, the ATrag stays at home. The only time that the ATrag makes it out of the house is when the weather is rough and I need the durability of the PDA. They both give me accurate elevation and wind holds.....one costs $10, and the other costs hundreds more.