• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Hottest factory 45 acp ball loads you know of?

DPRoberts

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
St.Louis, MO
I built a 1911 that's severely keyholing and I'm trying to rule out ammo/ slow barrel twist as the culprit before I throw money at it for a new barrel. So far I've tried federal and winchester 230gr fmj but it seems that they are both on the slow side.

Whats the highest velocity factory 230gr 45 acp load you guys have come across?

Re: Hottest factory 45 acp ball loads you know of?

Going by feel alone, Speed Lawman generally seems to sound off like it's got a pair.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DPRoberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I built a 1911 that's severely keyholing and I'm trying to rule out ammo/ slow barrel twist as the culprit before I throw money at it for a new barrel. So far I've tried federal and winchester 230gr fmj but it seems that they are both on the slow side.

Whats the highest velocity factory 230gr 45 acp load you guys have come across?
</div></div>

Try a lighter bullet.
Heavier bullets need a faster twist rate to stabilize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3LVX461ABE

I see underwood does a 230gr hardball +p @ 1000

In probably 95% of my tests doubletap has fallen short on everything they advertised. They seem to be almost on with the lightweight bullets. Used doubletap for a long time in 10mm...not anymore.

I appreciate the suggestions chaps. I'll try out a few new range trip. I'd been avoiding going to a lighter bullet because the 1911 was built for my dad who wanted to exclusively shoot 230's. For testing purposes though that's probably the easiest path.

If you really want a 'Scorcher' go with Double Tap's 450 SMC. Switch your spring out to 22#, and have fun!
smile.gif

Then, if you want to stick with 45 ACP go with either Underwood, Buffalo Bore, or Double Tap +P ammo.