• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Household items for positional dry fire practice

mvaldez1783

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I've been practicing some dry firing in my back yard. I don't have the equipment yet to build a barricade so I've been using household items such as chairs, ladders and buckets. Any other items I can use to practicing positional changes?

Anything that gets you into a position that is not prone or seated benchrest style. Car hood and/or roof. Pickup tailgate. Window sill. Table without chair. Ladder leg, not rung. Fence post or rail. Suspended chain or rope.

You can do a bunch w/ a common Step stool/ ladder

Open it up have three positions to shoot from
Fold it in a bit and lean it back toward you to simulate an unstable support. (used this to work on using a tripod rear support)
Opened on its side on mine gives a few small round place to shoot for a supported elevated prone practice.
Attach a sling/ rope of some sort in the middle of a ladder for suspended BS lol

One of the best things I have found dry firing is after you have found your stability- get that stopwatch out. Force a timed interval and repeat at least 5 times to get that flow and muscle memory. Even on that second/ third run when you feel like you're running it strong, it's surprising to see how much time you can drop by the last one.

sawhorses, step stool or ladder, table, fence, stairs (if there's no railing), stair railing, logs, suspended rope, dog houses, old barrels, vehicles, rocking chairs are fun...use your imagination and almost anything can be used for positional practice

Bar chairs, couch, TV dinner tables, makeshift tripod, and unsupported with sling are my go to objects. Aim at a tree in the backyard 20-25 yeards away with small peices of duct tape labled 1-12 so that I force myself to dial on made up stages.

Doing 5 positions, 10 shots with 5 yard lines and a mag change is a challenge for me. Usually time out at my last target right at 90 seconds.

If you aren't concerned about what you neighbors think, you could always use the children's backyard playset. Think of the possibilities!

1595684409389.png

If you aren't concerned about what you neighbors think, you could always use the children's backyard playset. Think of the possibilities!

View attachment 7383043
Sometimes I wish you could like a post more than once. I didn't know if I should laugh, act surprised, or like this post. So, I loved this post as I wanted to show all three. 😁 😁

Sometimes I wish you could like a post more than once. I didn't know if I should laugh, act surprised, or like this post. So, I loved this post as I wanted to show all three. 😁 😁

I’ve been accused of being to unconventional bordering on outrageous in the past. Let’s just say that I prefer to explore the left side of my brain on occasion.

View attachment 7383043
I can see it now... “Shooter will begin the stage mag in, bolt back, simulated baby in stroller. At the start signal, shooter must ground the rifle and fasten the “baby” into the plastic swing and start it swinging. Then the shooter transitions to the rifle. The shooting positions are the rubber swings. Rifle must be fully supported by the rubber swing. NO BI/TRIPODS! Shooter will alternate shooting from the left then the right swing. Shooter must give the baby a push after each miss. 10 shots. 10 points. 90 sec par time...”

I can see it now... “Shooter will begin the stage mag in, bolt back, simulated baby in stroller. At the start signal, shooter must ground the rifle and fasten the “baby” into the plastic swing and start it swinging. Then the shooter transitions to the rifle. The shooting positions are the rubber swings. Rifle must be fully supported by the rubber swing. NO BI/TRIPODS! Shooter will alternate shooting from the left then the right swing. Shooter must give the baby a push after each miss. 10 shots. 10 points. 90 sec par time...”

You need to add something about giving the baby a pacifier and putting hearing protection on the same.