• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How about a WTF "Savage arms" call out!!!! Advice needed please

Mikillium

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2011
Saint Jo Texas
Ok so months ago i was shooting and went to take my can off and noticed my barrel was lose on my savage 110 300wm. Not wanting to purchase the 60$ smooth barrel wrench I decided to have it done right and send it to the factory for tightening and re-head spacing. Rifle was mailed to savage arms around the first of the year. Received a call on or about march 13th from employee in the tech dept named "Andrew".
Andrew informed me that the rifle in question was test fired and proved to be incapable of any type of accuracy. Andrew informed me that it would not "hold a group at all" at 100 yard test fire. Said the rifle in fact was "key holing". When I questioned this and why it would be doing that, I was informed that the barrel was "no good" and that the "crown had been ruined" by whoever threaded the barrel. He said it "was not threaded concentric and the crown job was bad"! I informed Andrew that the rifle was not sent in for repair due to an accuracy problem, but mearly because the barrel had become loose in the receiver. I was again informed that the barrel was "No good, and needed to be replaced"!
At this time I was quoted a cost of $396 for a new barrel and labor, and an additional 75$ to have it threaded.
I told him I would speak with the smith that threaded it and give him an answer on what to do.
After consulting with the smith who threaded it I decided to have it sent back as is, and I was not going to replace the barrel. I returned the call to Andrew a few days later, approximately March 17 and asked to have it shipped back to me as is. He insisted again that the barrel Was bad and should be replaced as it would not shoot at all with the barrel that was on it. I had it returned as is!
March 28th I Got the rifle back with my duracoated barrel and the head space set properly from savages previous test fire. I inspected the crown and as before, was still the factory crown job as it came from the savage customs shop years ago. I preceded to test fire the barrel myself and the first 3 shot group was under .75 inches at 100 yards.
That Monday (March 31) I contacted savage arms customer service and asked to speak with the head man in charge of the gun smithing dept. They connected me to Paul Smarrelli, director of technical services about my concerns! He searched up my order number and explained to me that on his end they had an invoice showing that they had completed new barrel install, cut to length and threaded! I said no sir I received back my original rifle and barrel( still painted) with an invoice sheet on my
end stating "Return No Repair". His response was "oh man". He said we have a problem here that I will get to the bottom of immediately and that I was not to worry, I would be taken care of for bringing this to his attention. I was advised to send him a copy's of the work order invoice I had received with my rifle "mainly the line showing where it stated "return no repair" ASAP along with a picture of the painted barrel. I also sent a picture of the 3 shot group I took with the rifle out of the box as it was returned to me with the "bad barrel"!
All these pictures were sent to Paul's direct cell phone as was provided to me at his request(413) 437-45xx
His direct desk line was also given to me as a point of contact in a text message he sent me thanking me for the pictures.

His contact info as was provided to me:
Thank you
Paul Smarrelli ,
Director of Technical Services.
413 642 4249 my direct desk line

A follow up call on my end was made 9 days later (april 9 at 12:56pm)to Paul's direct desk line(413-642-4249) as to inquire about any updates on the situation or any actions that had been taken to sort this out. A message was left and my call was never returned.

Few weeks later I consulted with a good friend that informed me what to do. We typed up this letter and mailed it certified mail to Paul Smarrelli at savage. Here is a copy of the letter and what was said.

Now it's been a few weeks and still no response! I'm really getting pissed that I've been blown off and fucked around! So anyone that has an idea please email me what my next steps should be? I've been completely professional to this point and I've had enough. This is such bullshit and I want to make sure everyone out there knows about it and doesn't get screwed over like they tried to do to me! I will never spend a penny more with that company and I hope for that matter no one does! This is a huge deal here and I'm sure it's happened to others who didn't know any better! I just happened to call their bluff! Again any advice is needed! Thanks

Clay
USMC/0321

Why don't you send him a link to this post? That might get you a reply.

I think my next step is to make another copy of the letter and mail it to the CEO "Ron Johnson"
Possible he has no idea this has happened and I believe being his company, he has the right to know how his customers are being treated and or pushed around! Makes me wonder who all is in on a scam like this!

'Did you ever stop to think "Why would Savage send my rifle back to me with an invoice in the box saying 'returned no repair' if there was an outstanding invoice with funds due for barrel work?

My guess is nobody was out to screw you (as you got your rifle back with the original barrel that is shooting accurately) but rather there was a screw-up in their internal communication or work processes. Perhaps the manager fixed the issue and considered it closed; I would agree he should follow up with you (and multiple messages unreturned is unprofessional unless he's out of office IMO) but I have a hard time ascertaining why you would feel "aggrieved".

I think you ran into a case of dyslexia. A shop person working on a rifle that wasn't yours and looking at paperwork that was yours. when they finally matched paperwork to rifles it was all a misunderstanding. No harm no foul, sort of. You just happened to be the recipient of a mix up. Everything worked out so why are you so pissed? I would bet that the other rifle had a new barrel installed and the owner is now has a rifle that will not key hole at 100 yds.

I don't see what advice is needed. You got your rifle back with same barrel retighten and headspaced. shoots good. Probally a mix up in their end. As long as they aren't charging you for a new barrel whats the problem? Now if their were numerous accounts of them trying to trick customers into buying unnecessary fixes. Then there is a problem like crooked car mechanics.

I guess I am confused.

You sent rifle in to get repaired. It came back repaired. Was there a charge for rebarreling your rifle?

If so, I can see being unhappy.

If they didnt try to charge you, I don't see anything to be upset about. Ignore the garbled crap that came from Andrew, that was obviously a mistake given the realities of how well your gun shoots.

Just my two cents.

So you send a rifle in for repairs, they fixed the head-space issue and sent it back per your request. You obviously didn't get billed for a new barrel so why the fuck are you all up I arms about them having a different invoice on their side. Unless you're just in it for the drama (which may be the case).

I'd file this under: Move on with your life man.

I am with Savage for this one!

Whoever threaded the barrel made the barrel loose, and they screwed up the crown.

I am with Savage for this one!

Whoever threaded the barrel made the barrel loose, and they screwed up the crown.

Only ever bought one savage rifle (MK2, from a hide member!)

Had a firing pin that had been shortened/rendered-useless by dry-firing or something, and I called Savage..

They told me to send them an e-mail requesting the firing pin along with a signed waiver, copy of DL, and some other stuff. I told them, "KelTec just asks you where you want it shipped for cheap stuff, and that + what's your CC number for the higher dollar items... Ya'll are ridiculous"

Then I carved a new pin out of a dewalt sawblade and things have been great ever since. Never buying a savage product again, though.

I guess KelTec is the standard by which you judge all others, sad really, but that's why hugo was able to sell cars.

I understand your anger and frustration as you cited the facts...(1) tech repeatedly telling you that you need a new barrel even after you tell him to simply send it back without repair; (2) the tech telling you that the crown is bad and that it won't shoot which turns out seemingly to be in contradiction to your experience upon receiving it back; (3) manager saying there is a problem and asking you to send documents and photographs so he can allegedly address it but then doesn't get back to you with even so much as a courtesy follow up (much less an explanation) over a month later. I guess the silver lining is you stood firm and didn't acquiesce to the tech's urging to needlessly replace the barrel for $471, and you received your gun back in working order.

It is concerning to hear about this situation, however it seems to be an internal issue of reconciling their repair orders/invoices, an overly aggressive tech named Andrew and a very busy Director named Paul. Paul should have timely responded with a follow up of their findings as he volunteered himself to help you, however Directors tend to have million dollar decisions to make and may not have the time to respond. In the end, you got what you needed and unfortunately discovered that Savage needs to better monitor their customer service and service order process.

I'm not seeing how you were harmed by this. As possible explantion is this "Andrew" who looked at your barrel was possibly trying to "up-sell" you. (Would you like fries with that?)

My guess is there may be an incentive to get customers to spend money on new work and he used your problem and crown threading as the premise to "up-sell" you. OK, maybe that tells us about Savage as a company, or "Andrew" is a bad apple and should be canned.

Being a sharp guy, you didn't bite. Good for you. At that point, I would have let it go. I'm not getting why you felt compelled to contact Savage again and go nuclear.

Maybe "Andrew" has been playing Savage and taking barrels home that were marked "installed" on their end when actually nothing was done.

Exactly! I'm upset at the fact that if I wouldn't have questioned their smiths, I would have been charged full price for a new barrel they was unnecessary! Y'all are missing the point, no I'm not a drama queen u homo, for the one that said that! It is an internal affair and I would be led to believe that someone is snagging barrels and or charging the customers unnecessary money for work that is not needed. If this doesn't frustrate you then something's wrong. All I was asking for was an update on the situation and what steps had been taken to fix the mix up and make sure it didn't happen again. Some of you got it, most just continued with your I'm a bad ass computer shit talking and missed the point. Thanks for those that stayed on track. It's simple customer service procedures here that are being missed and not the way a big company should conduct business.

I guess the advice I was looking for was more along the lines of letting others be aware that not everything g your told is true be it from a gunsmith at a reputable company or not. I'm not looking for anything, just sharing a story that could have cost me a good 500$ if I wouldn't have asked questions and just done what they said needed to be done.wonder how many others would have just paid up? were all in this shit together, just opening an eye that's all! Damn didn't realize this could be taken the wrong way and bashed on!

I told him I would speak with the smith that threaded it and give him an answer on what to do.
After consulting with the smith who threaded it I decided to have it sent back as is, and I was not going to replace the barrel.

I reckon I done got confused a bit.
Why did you send a smith-threaded barrel back to Savage because it was loose?
Wouldn't that be an issue for the fellow who threaded the barrel?

I've only had one single issue with Savage Arms. Had smokeless ML that ran out of scope adjustment.
They took it back and sent me new rifle, but only after mounting a scope and testing it themselves. Even included the test target.
I dealt directly with Joe.

I reckon I done got confused a bit.
Why did you send a smith-threaded barrel back to Savage because it was loose?
Wouldn't that be an issue for the fellow who threaded the barrel?

I've only had one single issue with Savage Arms. Had smokeless ML that ran out of scope adjustment.
They took it back and sent me new rifle, but only after mounting a scope and testing it themselves. Even included the test target.
I dealt directly with Joe.

At the time I found the barrel lose I had blamed the smith that threaded it. I didn't not want the same person working on it that had worked on it before. It would have been right to have him fix it but I knew he did not work on savage rifles and did not have the proper tools. According to the smith who threaded it, The barrel was never removed from the action to thread, nor was the crown ever touched, and that was later confirmed. He personally did not have the smooth barrel wrench to properly re-tighten the barrel so I wanted to make sure it was done right and sent it to the factory! No big deal right? And it wasn't until I was told it needed replaced. Then the questions started. Just wasn't making sense.

With you sending a letter letter like that, the first thing any major corporation will do is turn it over to their legal department and wait for direction from them as how to respond to avoid taking blame and possibly lawsuit. I don't see anyone trying to sue over this but big companies are sued over the littlest things and they are all ways on the defensive.

Maybe "Andrew" has been playing Savage and taking barrels home that were marked "installed" on their end when actually nothing was done.

Likely.
Last year I sent my Savage 116 to them to replace a pencil barrel with a heavy fluted barrel.
Action came back with heavy barrel, but not my pencil barrel which had only 25rds through it. Was told by Savage they had "scrapped" the barrel. I demanded my near barrel returned to me, and they called back later to say they found it in the scrap bin.
Strange things going on up there.

Yeah I have no intentions of doing anything other then what I did. I just got upset when I was blown off and it was swept under the rug! He was very concerned and sincere when we first spoke on the phone to just drop it and never give me a follow up. I don't get it. As I stated in the letter It is "not my current intention" to bring any action other then finding out what the heck is going on up there. I could care less about a handout as like most of us, I have always worked hard for everything I've ever been given! I'm just not one to sit back and be pushed. All I wanted to do was share my exp with y'all and get some others thoughts. Lance, them keeping your barrel is just the kind of shit im talking about, not enough people make complaints and that kind of stuff just keeps happening over and over and in the end, someone(paying customer) gets corn holed!

Yeah I have no intentions of doing anything other then what I did. I just got upset when I was blown off and it was swept under the rug! He was very concerned and sincere when we first spoke on the phone to just drop it and never give me a follow up. I don't get it. As I stated in the letter It is "not my current intention" to bring any action other then finding out what the heck is going on up there. I could care less about a handout as like most of us, I have always worked hard for everything I've ever been given! I'm just not one to sit back and be pushed. All I wanted to do was share my exp with y'all and get some others thoughts. Lance, them keeping your barrel is just the kind of shit im talking about, not enough people make complaints and that kind of stuff just keeps happening over and over and in the end, someone(paying customer) gets corn holed!

From a management perspective, you're probably low on the totem pole. Think about it, everything is fine on your end, any problem that exists is on their end. Do you see why Paul might be busy taking care of more important issues than a customer who just wants reassurance, but doesn't require any substantive action?

Just the fact that they have such errors, both in judgment by a technician, and discrepancies in their system, would warrant a detailed review of their processes and personnel. Something that would take time in a large organization.

Sure, every company would love to coddle all their customers and have 100% satisfaction, but that's not feasible from a manpower and financial standpoint. They'll do what they can, when they can, as long as the value added is beneficial to them.

I guess the advice I was looking for was more along the lines of letting others be aware that not everything g your told is true be it from a gunsmith at a reputable company or not.

Say it aint so! Poor customer service and incompetent/crooked employees from a large company who's market niche is mass produced, low end products? I'm shocked, shocked!

Sometimes it's not what it is.....it's what it looks like it is...and this looked underhanded. I would want an explanation also! And I don't like being ignored anymore than anyone else.

Upsell. It happens all the time anymore. Taken your car to a garage lately. I used to go to Merchants in the mid Atlantic area. Every time Id go in there for tires there would be some problem that need repaired, which the dealer who is honest, could never find. Last time I stopped there for an inspection they told me I needed over $1000 worth of work to get it inspected...Took it to the dealer, he put a sticker on, and I wrote to the Attorney General of Virginia about that. They all do it. I changed to Sears for tires asthey are nationwide and I travel a lot. Every time I go there for a rotation I need an alignment. Fucking crooks.

So I under stand. Its the principle. The manager should get back to you.