• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision How About NVD-740/D-760 to View in/near New Jersey

dbransco

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I am traveling, currently in Vernon, NJ and was curious to see if anybody had a D-740/760 in or near NJ to view before I purchase.

Thanks,

Dusty

Re: How About NVD-740/D-760 to View in/near New Jersey

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbransco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am traveling, currently in Vernon, NJ and was curious to see if anybody had a D-740/760 in or near NJ to view before I purchase.

Thanks,

Dusty </div></div>

Nah, you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you come to Texas.</div></div>

I really appreciate the offer superde and with my job I may, but at this point it looks like I'm going to be bouncing back and forth between MO and NJ for the next several months.

Thanks again for the offer!

Dusty

Slightly off topic: Is 3rd generation the only way to go with these scopes, or is 2nd generation OKay too? I am thinking of observation and shooting to 500 yards.

Since the D760 doesnt actually have true 6x magnification you might find things a little small at 500 yards.

With my D760 a fox is extremely small at 300 yards for example.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MillSpec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since the D760 doesnt actually have true 6x magnification you might find things a little small at 500 yards.

With my D760 a fox is extremely small at 300 yards for example. </div></div>
Are you suggesting that 2nd gen might be OKay, since the observation range is smaller than what I thought, or do I need 3rd gen because the magnification is not high enough and I need the resolution in another way? Remember, I have NO experience with NV.

Gen 2 Photonis tubes are just as clear as Gen 3 tubes, the only time Gen 3 wins is in the darkest of dark nights. it depends how good the photonis tubes are.

Make sure they arent russian Gen 2 cus they will die on you in 18 months right after warrenty is gone.

What are you shooting at?

No shooting, just observation of the local desert area from a distance - as far as possible to cover the most area. Looking for critters and people in the dark.

I just read that the figure of merit for NV systems is the line pairs per millimeter times the signal-to-noise ratio.

Ok what your best bet will be a PVS14 with a 5x lens on the front. better than any D760.

Also the new XR72 PVS14 with a 3x lens gives you 7x magnification.

Get a Gen 3 thin filmed unit, id say a Night Enforcer is the best bet. See if you can get a deal on both bought together.

I really appreciate your definitive comment about which one to get. I just have to sell a couple things and go for the PVS-14.

You will find that the image is higher quality in the pvs14 vs the D760. also its lighter and far more versatile.

range of lenses can be used with it also

I've been looking at as many online images I can of the D- and PVS-series, and (so far) the better the IIT the better the image. I'd like to be able to afford a P+ system! I noticed also that at least some of the D-series scopes (except the IIT) come from Singapore (China).

No D760 is from Russia and the PVS14 is made in singapore which isnt in china btw.

Buy a ITT Night Enforcer you cant go wrong

My mistake, Singapore is an independent country and not part of China. I just made an offer on a new PVS-14 P+ system, not cheap.

Gen 3 PVS-14 is the way to go. Many of the kits can be found with a 3x magnifier that screws into the objective of the PVS-14.

You could either buy brand new from the TNVC vendor or pick one up used here on the Hide. They've been popping up more frequently.

I appreciate the comments and apologize for apparently stealing the thread. I'm a real newbie to NV and was torn between a PVS-4 with a Gen 3 (large aperture) and a new PVS-14 (small with versatile mounting possibilites). The D-760 was another intriguing possibility, but the 3x magnifier for the PVS-14 will take me in that direction. I'm going with the PVS-14, based on the comments here - thanks again.

Id buy a used one that is generally 40% cheaper than new, dont let any dealers put you off i have 3 used PVS14's and they are all amazing, buy Autogated and test it before committing to buy if you can

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MillSpec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since the D760 doesnt actually have true 6x magnification you might find things a little small at 500 yards.

Serious question Milspec. I know you base your findings on a comparison to a Kite. How do we know which one is correct ?

My PVS-4 is supposed to be 4X but I would bet these are all rounded up figures because I think the 4X might be just a tad high. Based purely on what my eyes see.

If your PVS-4 is totally spec, the actual magnification should be given in the tech manual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OmegaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MillSpec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since the D760 doesnt actually have true 6x magnification you might find things a little small at 500 yards.

Serious question Milspec. I know you base your findings on a comparison to a Kite. How do we know which one is correct ?

My PVS-4 is supposed to be 4X but I would bet these are all rounded up figures because I think the 4X might be just a tad high. Based purely on what my eyes see.</div></div>

I also tested the D760 vs a S&B day scope and also a Bushnell and everything through the D760 looked further away,

Since the S&B is a true mill spec work of German optical genius, i was inclined to believe that 6x mag on the S&B was accurate.

I know for a fact the D740 is a 3.7x not a 4x but the D760 claimed 6x is also short. But i haven't measured the D740 yet

I managed to match the magnification with the S&B and it appeared to be about 5.25x true mag.

The kites 6x lens seemed to have substantially more mag and the 4x kite seemed to almost have as much as the D760 this is what got us thinking.

We were out comparing tubes at the time.

I have owned a Russian Scope, 2 Russian lasers and a Russian tube, the one thing i have learned is that Russians dont know how to tell the truth.

Now the D760 worked great and so did both the lasers but every time non of the specs were what they claimed. the laser was 90mw but someone had them tested and they were about 45mw.

i suppose you get what you pay for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MillSpec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OmegaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MillSpec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since the D760 doesnt actually have true 6x magnification you might find things a little small at 500 yards.

My PVS-4 is supposed to be 4X but I would bet these are all rounded up figures because I think the 4X might be just a tad high. Based purely on what my eyes see.</div></div>

I also tested the D760 vs a S&B day scope and also a Bushnell and everything through the D760 looked further away,

Since the S&B is a true mill spec work of German optical genius, i was inclined to believe that 6x mag on the S&B was accurate.

I know for a fact the D740 is a 3.7x not a 4x but the D760 claimed 6x is also short. But i haven't measured the D740 yet

I managed to match the magnification with the S&B and it appeared to be about 5.25x true mag.

The kites 6x lens seemed to have substantially more mag and the 4x kite seemed to almost have as much as the D760 this is what got us thinking.

We were out comparing tubes at the time.

I have owned a Russian Scope, 2 Russian lasers and a Russian tube, the one thing i have learned is that Russians dont know how to tell the truth.

Now the D760 worked great and so did both the lasers but every time non of the specs were what they claimed. the laser was 90mw but someone had them tested and they were about 45mw.

i suppose you get what you pay for. </div></div>

Fair enough. I just wanted to know how you came about your findings.

I am curious Milspec how the you get so many Night Enforcers out in your hands along with all that other Gen 3 gear? Are there UK dealers out there who stock this stuff regularly and have gone through the paperwork?

Last I checked a full factory ITT Night Enforcer PVS-14-17 is not allowed out of the USA period.

Vic Di Cosola

Why dont you try Germany Victor. There is plenty of your PVS14 Pinnacle units for sale there brand new. Legally sold and legally owned. Good luck telling the Germans what to do.

US ITAR law has no jurisdiction over the European Union so once its here it falls under the same rules as our XR5 units. ie local law.

So why dont you go back to your homeland defence gurus and tell them that this ITAR is a waste of time since there is enough Gen 3 US night vision in europe to last a whole generation. Not to mention the US economy could do with the extra money. Im sure you would be a bit richer from it.

Night Vision is pretty much old hat now anyway, the US could have cornered the market for international civilian sales of night vision units.

instead the US has lost millions of dollars in revenue whilst the technology is freely sold by your competition to anyone who wants to buy it.

ITAR - The Dumbest idea since prohibition

Also Victor, What have they told you about the impending ITAR exemption for UK and AUS? can you finally ship certain gear to the UK without licences? or are they going to keep all that revenue to themselves whilst starving small businesses of revenue they could well do with in these times