• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How are the Ruger 77/22's?

jonaddis84

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.area419.com
Im thinking about picking one up in the Varmint Stainless contour with laminate stock in 22mag. Its a really nice looking rifle, mint shape, for $350.

My only problem is I cant own a rifle without suppressor threads, and Id hate to thread the factory barrel. I really wish TacSol made barrels for them also.

Anyway, if you have one, how do you like it?

Re: How are the Ruger 77/22's?

Just thread it you pansy

You can buy factory 77/22 barrels off gunbroker for less than 100$ theres nothing special about them. If you want match grade buy a Lilja and be done with it.

I have a .22LR laminate stainless. Mine is the old style with the V block lockup, it's my understanding that current production guns have the barrel threaded into the receiver. This was supposedly done to make them more accurate, I dunno. My gun is not terribly accurate, it is "Ok". I shoot it mainly in Appleseed and it is sufficient for that kind of shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im thinking about picking one up in the Varmint Stainless contour with laminate stock in 22mag. Its a really nice looking rifle, mint shape, for $350.

My only problem is I cant own a rifle without suppressor threads, and Id hate to thread the factory barrel. I really wish TacSol made barrels for them also.

Anyway, if you have one, how do you like it? </div></div>

Volquartsen sells threaded barrels. They shoot great too.

I wish ruger would put a adjustable trigger in their guns. I have had a couple of these and that is always the thing that pushes me to a cz over them.

jonaddis84

I have the all weather 77/22 and I am absolutely thrilled with it. It is one of the early ones they made and although I can't speak for long range accuracy it will put all shots through a quarter inch hole all day long on a 50ft indoor range. I'm looking for a scope that will make it easier to shoot at longer distances. Guys I'm keeping this one.

Buddhapapa

I have the heavy barrel laminated 22LR 77/22, while it was stock it shot good but not as tight as I wanted so I put a Shilen match barrel on it and bedded the barrel and action as best as I could.
003-3.jpg

With wolf ammo it will shoot this at 50y

001-6-1-1.jpg

That’s the tightest group to date, normally I can’t hold that tight but groups with all holes touching are quite common.

I have two, both the older all weathers with v-block attachment. Neither have a problem keeping 5 shots under an inch at 50 yards with original barrel and trigger.

After getting my CZ .17 and then my CZ .22, I sold my Ruger 77/22 stainless. Not even close in accuracy in comparison to my CZ.

I had a local gun smith work my trigger over reducing to 3 pounds which helped, but he wasnt comfortable taking it down anymore.

I've got a Ruger 77/17 with the light contour barrel not the varmint. I really like. Very accurate. The only complaint I have is the trigger. Calling it heavy is an understatement. I picked up a Jard 1 lb trigger but haven't installed it yet. I had the barrel threaded and run it with a Silencerco Sparrow. Still get the sonic crack but really takes the edge off the report.

I also have a CZ 452 Varmint in 22lr. Much better trigger out of the box. Also have that one threaded. the CZ "feels" more accurate, but I think that may just be the balance of the heavier barrel and lighter trigger.

The Ruger is a good rifle. If you're willing to spend some time on the trigger I think you'll like it.

I have an older all weather 77/22 and a 77/17 that are both threaded. Both are nice shooters with slick little actions. I prefer the CZ (except for the backwards safety)for the money spent. As stated both needed trigger work to suit me.

I really like my 77/22 ... put a heavy Shilen barrel on it and a new stock ... shoot it more than any of my rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buddhapapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jonaddis84

I have the all weather 77/22 and I am absolutely thrilled with it. It is one of the early ones they made and although I can't speak for long range accuracy it will put all shots through a quarter inch hole all day long on a 50ft indoor range. I'm looking for a scope that will make it easier to shoot at longer distances. Guys I'm keeping this one.
</div></div>

I have one of the early All-Weathers too, and it was cut to 16.1" and threaded by AWC. It shoots no-shit as good as my anschutz if you can hold it, with its preferred load (Eley subsonic HP). If you're not putting them all in the same hole at 50, it's all you, not the gun. I have wanted to put it in a different stock, maybe get a faster twist barrel, all kinds of shit - but I keep coming back to the fact it's probably the most accurate gun I've ever shot, and to fuck around with it would be a sin of massive proportions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the heavy barrel laminated 22LR 77/22, while it was stock it shot good but not as tight as I wanted so I put a Shilen match barrel on it and bedded the barrel and action as best as I could.
003-3.jpg

With wolf ammo it will shoot this at 50y

001-6-1-1.jpg

That’s the tightest group to date, normally I can’t hold that tight but groups with all holes touching are quite common.
</div></div>

That, right there, is how my All-Weather standard weight shoots. No shit. I still can't believe it, but it's been doing it for over ten years now.

Have the Ruger 77/17 with gray laminate stock and heavy barrel profile. Mine shoots very well but could use a trigger job. I think the price you are looking at is good and use the savings for threading as needed....JaxOps