• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How bad is it, really?

drafter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2013
North Carolina
I got a decent deal on a Remington XCR 338 Lapua. Gun sold new in December for $2,050.00, to the guy I got it from. He could have saved a couple bucks buying on line, but sometimes we all need to support the local shops.
Anyway, there seems to be ZERO resell value on this Lapua. I saw 1 on Armslist in VA for $1,200.00. Been on there for a month.

Is it really that bad?
I know used gun sales are in the toilet, BIG TIME. The biggest local gunshop is stocking an inventory that's 75% SMALLER than he stocked just 2 years ago. He said he has no choice, gun sales are down 75%. He also divided his big gunshop in 2 with a wall and rents out the other half.
Sure is good to have an American for President instead of .......

So, is the XCR a perceived piece of junk? I'm sure compared to all the high dollar customs on here, it's sub-par, but I guess what I'm asking is, in the hands of 1 of the "seasoned shooters" on here what's the difference in it's "capable" MOA compared to a $4,000.00 custom at say 1,000 yards or even a mile?

Last edited:
Lotsa gun sales men running for office in 2020. I'm hoping most of them need to seek other work.

The new Ruger Precision Rifle in 338 has killed the resale price on those Remington rifles. Not that there was a huge demand for them to begin with, but the RPR is certainly the better buy today.

The XCR is basically a stainless 5R in a different caliber for twice the price.

There are much, much better values at $2k, and even at $1k. I'd rather have a $1k Bergara, RPR, or Tikka CTR than any factory 700.

2 of 3 Rugers I've owned could not out shoot my Remington factory barrels. Ruger barrels are hit or miss, and I seem to have had great luck with my Remmys. Granted, my 700's are "older" Remington (700 Tactical .308, and gen 1 Sendero 300wm) so that may have something to do with it. I do thoroughly enjoy my Gen 1 RPR though.

It's a factory Remington......are they welding bolt handles in the right place yet or is that still an upgrade option after you buy lol.

Seriously though much better options for the money. Might as well go a full custom build rather than gamble on Remingtons qc lately.

Last edited:
It's a factory Remington......are the wedding bolt handles in the right place yet or is that still an upgrade option after you buy lol.

Seriously though much better options for the money. Might as well go a full custom build rather than gamble on Remingtons qc lately.

Bingo.

Then again, at least it's not a Savage 110 BA...

I'm not trying to justify the Remington XCR, I'm just hard headed enough to think that NOT MANY guys have actually done a side by side LEGIT comparison between the XCR and the rifles mentioned above.
Side by side, same scope, same ammo, same everything.
You may ALL be correct, the XCR might be the worst rifle ever and that won't make me lose a minute of sleep. But until I see PROOF of a side by side shoot out with the Ruger, Bergara or whatever, it's just internet discussion.

No offense to any of you that took the time to respond, but if you're looking for a diesel truck and I tell you my Ford Powerstroke is far superior to any Cummins or Duramax ever built, well, it's just that, my opinion, I don't have a single fact to back it up.

Again, I thank ALL for replying, but honestly, I've only heard opinions, not facts and figures.
I'm also willing to bet that not one of you has shot the XCR?

2 of 3 Rugers I've owned could not out shoot my Remington factory barrels. Ruger barrels are hit or miss, and I seem to have had great luck with my Remmys. Granted, my 700's are "older" Remington (700 Tactical .308, and gen 1 Sendero 300wm) so that may have something to do with it. I do thoroughly enjoy my Gen 1 RPR though.

All those rifles are cool, I’d like to get an RPR, but more accurate than a 700 from the factory, doubt it. I know Remingtons have had quality issues lately, I get it. But I keep hearing people talk about Remingtons not shooting good, I have shot the hell out of factory Remingtons and they shoot extremely well from the factory. At least in my personal experience

Would you believe sub 1/4 moa out of a Remington 700 300 win mag? Believe it or not I own one that will do it and not off a bench strapped to a lead sled, shooting prone.

With handloads of course

Attachments

• A6B5867D-93D7-4CBC-936C-1C668086DAB5.png
    A6B5867D-93D7-4CBC-936C-1C668086DAB5.png
    728.9 KB · Views: 68
Here’s another, there’s 3 in there. Last weekend checking zero before taking to it out long

Attachments

• 86B1EDB1-16B7-4DB2-B548-9228B077BD42.png
    86B1EDB1-16B7-4DB2-B548-9228B077BD42.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
Reactions: AMGtuned
10k+ down factory tube, R700 .308, target at 200, Hornady American Whitetail 150gr
20180901_185827.jpg

Somewhere around 300-350 down factory tube, R700 .300wm, target at 200, load dev with 150gr Nosler ballistic tip (hunting)
20180520_180931.jpg

I've been happy

Reactions: Drvenkman556
Damn you have 10k on the factory 308 barrel and holding groups still?

Good thing I bought a M700 5R for target shooting!

Nice targets btw, we should meet up and stomp some antiremingtion guys lol

• Haha
I'm not trying to justify the Remington XCR, I'm just hard headed enough to think that NOT MANY guys have actually done a side by side LEGIT comparison between the XCR and the rifles mentioned above.
Side by side, same scope, same ammo, same everything.
You may ALL be correct, the XCR might be the worst rifle ever and that won't make me lose a minute of sleep. But until I see PROOF of a side by side shoot out with the Ruger, Bergara or whatever, it's just internet discussion.

No offense to any of you that took the time to respond, but if you're looking for a diesel truck and I tell you my Ford Powerstroke is far superior to any Cummins or Duramax ever built, well, it's just that, my opinion, I don't have a single fact to back it up.

Again, I thank ALL for replying, but honestly, I've only heard opinions, not facts and figures.
I'm also willing to bet that not one of you has shot the XCR?

That’s the same mentality that helps you find your way into an IOR.

Damn you have 10k on the factory 308 barrel and holding groups still?

Good thing I bought a M700 5R for target shooting!

Nice targets btw, we should meet up and stomp some antiremingtion guys lol
Rifle is a 700 Tactical (wish I knew how to look up reciever code, lol) that I bought at approximately 8000 rounds. It had been used by a company as a demo rifle. It saw some press release stuff, LOTS of R&D, and spent some time being abused at a few military bases for demo purposes. It's like my golden sword and loaner all at the same time. Anyone can shoot it and have fun. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

Good deal, nothing wrong with that.

I’m working on some high velocity 185 Berger juggernaut loads for my 308 now. Just about got them where I want them. Little more testing and she be ready for 1k+

10k+ down factory tube, R700 .308, target at 200, Hornady American Whitetail 150gr
View attachment 7058425
Somewhere around 300-350 down factory tube, R700 .300wm, target at 200, load dev with 150gr Nosler ballistic tip (hunting)
View attachment 7058430
I've been happy
When you get 5440 rds down a 300wm call me we'll compare notes. The last 308 R-700 I sold (a buddy that had to have it) had 14K plus down the tube an still shoots under moa to this day with most anyone shooting it. Lots of internet blow hard, B/S out there. Reality always trumps perception.

I thoroughly intend to. Definitely impressed with those numbers from a magnum. Also psyched to hear I have, potentially, lots more rounds to go. (y)

I thoroughly intend to. Definitely impressed with those numbers from a magnum. Also psyched to hear I have, potentially, lots more rounds to go. (y)
Those were all documented rds. I decided to re-barrel here as the last group was about 1.5 moa at a grand at HardRock. Got home an started pulling the shit off her an found the rear scope ring holding the 22x USO was loose. Bolted all the junk back on took her to a local range an she printed 3, 5 shot groups into a 1/2" circle at 200 yds. On the way home I was wondering if I should press on, but we just elected a Kenyan president so I had her barreled,... just encase I was forced to roof top vote, at some point. She is still a certified whore as the last time I shot her at HardRock she had 3120 rds down the tube an posted a 155, not bad for an old one eyed fat guy, shooting pulled 190smk's. Reality, is where I find my best data,...

5400 rounds, I’d like to see down that bore lol
You would have seen the same thing Mike Rock seen an posted here in 2009, the first 1.5" of rifling was gone. I mean gone 100%. That gun was never babied it burn't the seat in the truck many, many times. It's life was at H/R matches an some local. H/R you have 20 minutes to fire 20 rds, I normally finished in 7-8 minutes. Local was a 50 rd match an I'd shoot it in 12-14 minutes as your score was also base upon time.

Guns are but tools to me,... barrels are cheap, the ammo to toast one is the pricey part.

Last edited:
@drafter , I'd say you're safe with your Remmy. I would've bought it, if for nothing other than to scratch a .338 sized itch

I think there are better bangs for the buck than Remington rifles today but I wont discount any Remmy. My 20” 5R which i bought new at the end of 2016 will shoot factory 175 fgmm at 5/8” five shot groups everytime. My dads 24” will do 3/4”. I picked up a 24” from a member here that shoots 168gr amax in a ragged hole. My .270 has a pet commercial load as well.

OP i have no experience with the xcr

I’ll put my Remingtons up against those any day.
I'm with Wade. Sorry if I offended you, but my point was that I just don't think Rem offers any type of reasonable value proposition compared to the competitors in today's market. It almost requires you to spend $150+ on a trigger right after you buy it since the factory trigger is unsafe and not very good anyway. And although some shoot really well, others just don't, and you just don't have to deal with that inconsistent performance from other brands. I have yet to see a Tikka that wouldn't shoot .5 MOA with handloads, and many shoot better than that. Zero feeding/extraction issues, a great trigger, and crazy smooth cycling. All for about the same price as a 700. It's just an awesome value.

But hey man, I'm glad you like what you got and it seems like you're getting good performance. That's all that really matters.

Reactions: Drvenkman556
I'm with Wade. Sorry if I offended you, but my point was that I just don't think Rem offers any type of reasonable value proposition compared to the competitors in today's market. It almost requires you to spend $150+ on a trigger right after you buy it since the factory trigger is unsafe and not very good anyway. And although some shoot really well, others just don't, and you just don't have to deal with that inconsistent performance from other brands. I have yet to see a Tikka that wouldn't shoot .5 MOA with handloads, and many shoot better than that. Zero feeding/extraction issues, a great trigger, and crazy smooth cycling. All for about the same price as a 700. It's just an awesome value.

But hey man, I'm glad you like what you got and it seems like you're getting good performance. That's all that really matters.

Not offended at all. I just like to brag about my factory accuracy, there has been some quality issues I’ve had to deal with but man they have been shooting good for me.

Like I said I’d own any of those rifles in a heartbeat, I’ve just grown up on Remington 700 and I’m a stand by your brand kinda guy.

Not offended at all. I just like to brag about my factory accuracy, there has been some quality issues I’ve had to deal with but man they have been shooting good for me.

Like I said I’d own any of those rifles in a heartbeat, I’ve just grown up on Remington 700 and I’m a stand by your brand kinda guy.
Makes sense. I grew up on Savages and moved to Tikka a few years ago. Different strokes for different folks.

Well now the Remington guys have shown up along with the haters. Bottom line, no hardcore tried and true "shoot out's" between the $2,000.00 and under 338 Lapua's.
No worries, my life consists of more than guns alone, there's also boating, fishing, Harleys, antique cars............if shooting were my only hobby I guess I'd have a WAY better Lapua than this measly little XCR, but

I feel like there are wayyyy more 338lm out there than there are ranges far enough for them to be worth it ???

Reactions: spife7980
Spoiled in Utah. Most of the state is a 3 Mile plus range with excellent backstops with the occasional coyote mover lol

There is a mile steel target in that pic :)

20181103_092510.jpg

Hey Dthomas3523

I'm up in years and not real keen on all the younger generation lingo, so I had to google your little acronym, but I'm still not sure where you were heading with your post?

IORInstituto de Obras Para la Religión (Spanish: Institute for Works of Religion)
IORIndex of Reliability
IORInstructor of Record (various universities)
IORInteroperable Object Reference
IORInterorganizational Relationship
IORIstituto Ortopedico Rizzoli (Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Italy)
IORInput Output Register
IORIbm Onsite Repair
IORInput Output Real
IORInput Output Resource
IORInput Output Read
IORIndex of Refraction
IORInstitute of Recruiters (UK)
IORInclusive Or
IORIndian Ocean Rim
IORImproved Oil Recovery
IORInstitute of Refrigeration (UK)
IORInhibition of Return
IORIndian Ocean Region
IORImporter of Record (customs)
IORIncreased Oil Recovery
IORIstituto Per Le Opere Di Religione (Vatican Bank)
IORInternational Osteopathic Research (France)
IORInternational Offshore Rule (sailing)
IORInspector of Record (construction term)
IORIndian Other Rank
IORIndependent Order of Rechabites (est. 1835)
IORImpact of Relationship (social media)
IORInstitute of Operational Risk
IORInternational Orientation Resources
IORIdeas of reference
IORImmediate Operational Requirement
IORInitial Operating Report (US FEMA)
IORInterobserver Reliability
IORInput/Output Read
IORInternational Ocean Racing (Association)
IORIndustry Optic Romania
IORInvestigator of Record
IORInstitute of Religion
IORIntelligent Office Repeater
IORIncrement Operations Review
IORIssue on Request
IORIndicated Outcome Report
IORIssue On Requisition
IORIsle of Rhythm (Belgian music event)

Reactions: texasrecurve
Hey Dthomas3523

I'm up in years and not real keen on all the younger generation lingo, so I had to google your little acronym, but I'm still not sure where you were heading with your post?

IORInstituto de Obras Para la Religión (Spanish: Institute for Works of Religion)
IORIndex of Reliability
IORInstructor of Record (various universities)
IORInteroperable Object Reference
IORInterorganizational Relationship
IORIstituto Ortopedico Rizzoli (Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Italy)
IORInput Output Register
IORIbm Onsite Repair
IORInput Output Real
IORInput Output Resource
IORInput Output Read
IORIndex of Refraction
IORInstitute of Recruiters (UK)
IORInclusive Or
IORIndian Ocean Rim
IORImproved Oil Recovery
IORInstitute of Refrigeration (UK)
IORInhibition of Return
IORIndian Ocean Region
IORImporter of Record (customs)
IORIncreased Oil Recovery
IORIstituto Per Le Opere Di Religione (Vatican Bank)
IORInternational Osteopathic Research (France)
IORInternational Offshore Rule (sailing)
IORInspector of Record (construction term)
IORIndian Other Rank
IORIndependent Order of Rechabites (est. 1835)
IORImpact of Relationship (social media)
IORInstitute of Operational Risk
IORInternational Orientation Resources
IORIdeas of reference
IORImmediate Operational Requirement
IORInitial Operating Report (US FEMA)
IORInterobserver Reliability
IORInput/Output Read
IORInternational Ocean Racing (Association)
IORIndustry Optic Romania
IORInvestigator of Record
IORInstitute of Religion
IORIntelligent Office Repeater
IORIncrement Operations Review
IORIssue on Request
IORIndicated Outcome Report
IORIssue On Requisition
IORIsle of Rhythm (Belgian music event)

IOR optics.

Hopefully you didn’t spend too much time on google.

Where I was going was:

After a while, companies produce enough piles of shit (Remington, IOR, etc) that serious people stop buying them. So you won’t be seeing a lot of first hand reviews.

Using the logic “I’m not seeing any hands on comparisons” will land you rolling the pile o’shit dice and hoping you got one made on Wednesday morning.

This is coming from someone who grew up shooting Remingtons. Shot them in mil/le as well. They aren’t what they used to be.

Reactions: patriot07
If only you had an ocean for fishing and boating that would be perfect !!! Beautiful !!!

Living near the ocean usually requires living near liberals....F that noise I'm good. I got lake Powell and the best wakeboarding on fresh water :)

Where I was going was:

After a while, companies produce enough piles of shit (Remington, IOR, etc) that serious people stop buying them. So you won’t be seeing a lot of first hand reviews.

Using the logic “I’m not seeing any hands on comparisons” will land you rolling the pile o’shit dice and hoping you got one made on Wednesday morning.

This is coming from someone who grew up shooting Remingtons. Shot them in mil/le as well. They aren’t what they used to be.

Well, as hard as it is for me to control my mouth, I will just say thank you for your insight and THANK YOU for your service to this once great nation !