• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How can i put my lr308 on a diet?

512BPG

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2012
DPMS lr308 24"ss barrel and vented handguard.
Barrel has been chopped to 18" and it now has a ctr stock and Slash's buffer and spring (just shot 40rds after install and still runs flawless)

How much weight will fluting or turning down the barrel take off? Want to retain as much accuracy while doing so.

What about the carbon fiber handguard weight vs the stock vented one?

Any other suggestions as I venture down this road? Saw Benny hill mention bringing those rifles down to 8lbs while still shooting but haven't heard from them still.

Thanks in advance

Re: How can i put my lr308 on a diet?

Fluting will leave the barrel stiffer than turning with more surface area for heat... but having it turned will reduce heat dissipation and allow it more flex more. Of course it depends how much is done on each. Fluting would prob be worth while.

If it's got a steel gasblock, switch to aluminum. Lighter hand guard. Which stock do you have?

Not many ways to kill the weight apart from the barrel and hand guard.

Fluting the barrel will not stiffen the barrel. A fluted barrel will be stiffer than a thinner (outside diameter) barrel of equal weight and length, but it will not be stiffer than a equal outside diameter barrel (of the same length) that is not fluted.

As far as increasing the surface area, most fluting is "cosmetic" in that it does NOT substantially increase the surface area of the barrel.

There are a bunch of barrel fluters that hang out in the gunsmithing forum. That is probably a better forum to ask this question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 512BPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> {SNIP...}

How much weight will fluting or turning down the barrel take off? Want to retain as much accuracy while doing so.

{SNIP...}

Thanks in advance </div></div>

As for fluting/recontouring the barrel...it really depends on how extensive you go with either option. The problem is that those barrels are just HUGE from all aspects if it is the 0.936" gas block model (0.936 at the journal, not a lot smaller to the muzzle, and even larger under the handguards). Obviously, a complete recontour will likely save more weight, but with either option, you run the risk of @#$%ing up the level of accuracy you have with it now). I'd be thinking more about a replacement tube rather than hacking on your factory barrel any more than what you have done already with chopping 6" off the end, but...the market isn't exactly filled with LR-308 barrels of ANY kind right now. Back to recontouring though...get with Steve (or one of the other guys) at ADCO concerning their reprofiling/contouring/fluting/dimpling services for barrels. They will be able to tell you things they have done in the past and what sort of weight savings you might expect with different options. They also offer pretty quick turnaround (usually <2weeks from when they receive your stuff) to completion and their prices are average, but quality is excellent. For a complete recontour, you are probably looking at ~$100-120 with fluting being only slightly more. Also, if you shave down the journal (gas block area) and go to a smaller block, you'll save just a hair more weight with a different block too.

As for the handguard and weight savings there...the stock DPMS unit (vented, rifle/standard-length, aluminum) weighs roughly 15oz (within an ounce or so). So...in order to save any appreciable weight there...you'd more or less have to eliminate the handguard entirely or go to one of the lightest CF units on the market (which come in at around 8oz for a rifle-length model).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fluting the barrel will not stiffen the barrel. A fluted barrel will be stiffer than a thinner (outside diameter) barrel of equal weight and length, but it will not be stiffer than a equal outside diameter barrel (of the same length) that is not fluted.

As far as increasing the surface area, most fluting is "cosmetic" in that it does NOT substantially increase the surface area of the barrel.

There are a bunch of barrel fluters that hang out in the gunsmithing forum. That is probably a better forum to ask this question. </div></div>

You may have misread my post, though it isn't very clear. It will be stiffer than re-profiling; not stiffer than untouched.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fluting the barrel will not stiffen the barrel. A fluted barrel will be stiffer than a thinner (outside diameter) barrel of equal weight and length, but it will not be stiffer than a equal outside diameter barrel (of the same length) that is not fluted.

There are a bunch of barrel fluters that hang out in the gunsmithing forum. That is probably a better forum to ask this question. </div></div>

You may have misread my post, though it isn't very clear. It will be stiffer than re-profiling; not stiffer than untouched. </div></div>

Reading comprehension has never been a strong suit of mine.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 512BPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> {SNIP...}

{SNIP...}

Thanks in advance </div></div>

As for fluting/recontouring the barrel...it really depends on how extensive you go with either option. The problem is that those barrels are just HUGE from all aspects if it is the 0.936" gas block model (0.936 at the journal, not a lot smaller to the muzzle, and even larger under the handguards). Obviously, a complete recontour will likely save more weight, but with either option, you run the risk of @#$%ing up the level of accuracy you have with it now). I'd be thinking more about a replacement tube rather than hacking on your factory barrel any more than what you have done already with chopping 6" off the end, but...the market isn't exactly filled with LR-308 barrels of ANY kind right now. Back to recontouring though...get with Steve (or one of the other guys) at ADCO concerning their reprofiling/contouring/fluting/dimpling services for barrels. They will be able to tell you things they have done in the past and what sort of weight savings you might expect with different options. They also offer pretty quick turnaround (usually <2weeks from when they receive your stuff) to completion and their prices are average, but quality is excellent. For a complete recontour, you are probably looking at ~$100-120 with fluting being only slightly more. Also, if you shave down the journal (gas block area) and go to a smaller block, you'll save just a hair more weight with a different block too.

As for the handguard and weight savings there...the stock DPMS unit (vented, rifle/standard-length, aluminum) weighs roughly 15oz (within an ounce or so). So...in order to save any appreciable weight there...you'd more or less have to eliminate the handguard entirely or go to one of the lightest CF units on the market (which come in at around 8oz for a rifle-length model). </div></div>

1/2lb with carbon fiber handguard is a good start. The stock barrel has been great and accuracy the same maybe even slightly better after chopping 6" off. I'd leave well enough alone but hope to lean it up a bit before a suppressor adds weight back on. Will contact them about fluting/dimpling/contouring weight savings thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 512BPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/2lb with carbon fiber handguard is a good start. The stock barrel has been great and accuracy the same maybe even slightly better after chopping 6" off. I'd leave well enough alone but hope to lean it up a bit before a suppressor adds weight back on. Will contact them about fluting/dimpling/contouring weight savings thanks </div></div>

One of the less expensive CF handguard options is available from DPMS (when in stock) and weighs in at only 7.7oz (roughly half your current HG) and costs only $120. Midway has them in stock right now: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/313249/...bon-fiber-matte

As for ADCO...I should have given you a link earlier, so here you go: http://www.adcofirearms.com/ Just look under Gunsmithing or Shop Services.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 512BPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/2lb with carbon fiber handguard is a good start. The stock barrel has been great and accuracy the same maybe even slightly better after chopping 6" off. I'd leave well enough alone but hope to lean it up a bit before a suppressor adds weight back on. Will contact them about fluting/dimpling/contouring weight savings thanks </div></div>

Yea saw that on midway. Lookin at what I'd need to do to mount bipod/sling stud.

Also found adco and plan on contacting them thanks.

One of the less expensive CF handguard options is available from DPMS (when in stock) and weighs in at only 7.7oz (roughly half your current HG) and costs only $120. Midway has them in stock right now: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/313249/...bon-fiber-matte

As for ADCO...I should have given you a link earlier, so here you go: http://www.adcofirearms.com/ Just look under Gunsmithing or Shop Services. </div></div>

I run a DPMS carbon fiber handguard, a CTR stock, and the barrel has been turned down by ADCO. I weighed the upper and lower separate and if memory serves me correctly, it was 7 3/4 lbs bare (no optics, slings, etc). I really like the way it handles now.

How easy was the CF handguard to install? I got one for Christmas and haven't got the tool or really messed with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonprox700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a DPMS carbon fiber handguard, a CTR stock, and the barrel has been turned down by ADCO. I weighed the upper and lower separate and if memory serves me correctly, it was 7 3/4 lbs bare (no optics, slings, etc). I really like the way it handles now. </div></div>

This a DPMS lr308?
What are the specifics on the profile of the barrel now?
Running a bipod/sling mount on the cf handguard?

This is 2.25lbs or so lighter than my setup and sounds awesome.

Thanks in advance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonprox700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a DPMS carbon fiber handguard, a CTR stock, and the barrel has been turned down by ADCO. I weighed the upper and lower separate and if memory serves me correctly, it was 7 3/4 lbs bare (no optics, slings, etc). I really like the way it handles now. </div></div>

This on a DPMS lr308?

What profile on the barrel?
Have a bipod/sling stud mounted on cf handguard?

That's gotta be 2.25lbs or more off my current setup.

The guy I sold my 24" DPMS LR308 to had the barrel turned down, and accuracy was erratic afterwards. It wasn't that accurate to begin with, but re-profiling didn't hurt.

The next thing you can do is go with a JP low-mass operating system, mitigated with an adjustable gas block. There's a great thread on here by a smith who does excellent AR & AR10 work for competition guns, and he made lightening cuts in his large frame bolt carrier as well for a 6XC build IIRC.

Made the gun super-smooth, with the ability to easily spot your own hits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRRPF52</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guy I sold my 24" DPMS LR308 to had the barrel turned down, and accuracy was erratic afterwards. It wasn't that accurate to begin with, but re-profiling didn't hurt.

The next thing you can do is go with a JP low-mass operating system, mitigated with an adjustable gas block. There's a great thread on here by a smith who does excellent AR & AR10 work for competition guns, and he made lightening cuts in his large frame bolt carrier as well for a 6XC build IIRC.

Made the gun super-smooth, with the ability to easily spot your own hits. </div></div>

sorry to hear about that lemon. my lr308 has been flawless and accurate from day one. with the cut back 18" barrel and my handloads it shoots actual repeatable 1/2 MOA.

contacted some people and hope to get this pig slayer to be a little less pigly itself without sacrificing much as it runs like a dream right now with the CTR stock and slash's buffer and spring on the rifle length gas. just be nice if its was a pound or more lighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 512BPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">contacted some people and hope to get this pig slayer to be a little less pigly itself without sacrificing much as it runs like a dream right now with the CTR stock and slash's buffer and spring on the rifle length gas. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">just be nice if its was a pound or more lighter.</span></span> </div></div>

Between saving 7-8oz with the handguard swap, as well as almost ANY fluting and/or contouring of your factory heavy barrel, I don't think that losing at LEAST 1lb of weight will be difficult (and you may actually get considerably more depending on what you end up doing to your barrel...type/depth of fluting and/or turning down that beastly barrel under the HG to around 0.750" give or take).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 512BPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">contacted some people and hope to get this pig slayer to be a little less pigly itself without sacrificing much as it runs like a dream right now with the CTR stock and slash's buffer and spring on the rifle length gas. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">just be nice if its was a pound or more lighter.</span></span> </div></div>

Between saving 7-8oz with the handguard swap, as well as almost ANY fluting and/or contouring of your factory heavy barrel, I don't think that losing at LEAST 1lb of weight will be difficult (and you may actually get considerably more depending on what you end up doing to your barrel...type/depth of fluting and/or turning down that beastly barrel under the HG to around 0.750" give or take). </div></div>

yea the 1/2 lb by handguard alone makes me happy as I think ill end up fluting or dimpling the barrel so i shave off <span style="font-style: italic">some</span> weight but focus on retaining the stiffness and accuracy as much as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 512BPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonprox700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a DPMS carbon fiber handguard, a CTR stock, and the barrel has been turned down by ADCO. I weighed the upper and lower separate and if memory serves me correctly, it was 7 3/4 lbs bare (no optics, slings, etc). I really like the way it handles now. </div></div>

This on a DPMS lr308?

</div></div>

Yes, LR308. I think the barrel was turned down to .625", not 100% though. I don't have a sling stud mounted on the handguard. I'm actually thinking about going with a rifle length handguard and cutting down the original fsb to fit under it. If I do that, then I'll probably put a MOE rail strip on the bottom and a QD sling mount up front also.

Nice thing about the whole thing is accuracy didn't change. The gun can shoot .5" @ 100 yrds for 3 rounds. Shoot 5, and it'll open to about .7/.8" or so. Still damn good for a factory barrel. This is with match handloads also. My hunting loads hover around that 1" mark. That's with 180 or 165gr softpoint Hornady Interlocks. I don't shoot matches or anything, so this is good enough (for now ;)) .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonprox700</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 512BPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonprox700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a DPMS carbon fiber handguard, a CTR stock, and the barrel has been turned down by ADCO. I weighed the upper and lower separate and if memory serves me correctly, it was 7 3/4 lbs bare (no optics, slings, etc). I really like the way it handles now. </div></div>

This on a DPMS lr308?

</div></div>

Yes, LR308. I think the barrel was turned down to .625", not 100% though. I don't have a sling stud mounted on the handguard. I'm actually thinking about going with a rifle length handguard and cutting down the original fsb to fit under it. If I do that, then I'll probably put a MOE rail strip on the bottom and a QD sling mount up front also.

Nice thing about the whole thing is accuracy didn't change. The gun can shoot .5" @ 100 yrds for 3 rounds. Shoot 5, and it'll open to about .7/.8" or so. Still damn good for a factory barrel. This is with match handloads also. My hunting loads hover around that 1" mark. That's with 180 or 165gr softpoint Hornady Interlocks. I don't shoot matches or anything, so this is good enough (for now ;)) . </div></div>

got pics of this rifle? sounds nice.

i contacted ADCO twice but havent heard back yet... no worries as im a couple weeks out before i would want to send it out. busy with hogs right now.

accuracy sounds great outta the stocker like you said and what im hoping to retain outta mine.

this was with a crappy rear bag setup and a bipod at the indoor 100yd range the other night. testing out some sierra game king soft point loads as i already have a 175 SMK load it likes.

5shot group:

photo.jpg

I'll try to get some. I'm not sure if they'll do it or not, but Compass Lake does do some "custom" work on barrels. You may want to give them a try if you can't contact ADCO.

I had some issues with ADCO last year. I sent a barrel out to be shortened and recontoured through USPS. After three weeks, he still hadn't received the package. So I took the receipt in and worked with the gal at the desk (USPS). Come to find out, they tried to deliver 3 different times and he wasn't opened so they left the note. But he wouldn't come down to pick up the package. We called the Post Office there to find out if the package was still there. It was, so I emailed ADCO. About two weeks later I finally received my barrel. Not trying to bash him as he does fantastic work, but maybe get insurance and delivery confirmation on the package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gainer_reniag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How easy was the CF handguard to install? I got one for Christmas and haven't got the tool or really messed with it. </div></div>
It wasn't too bad. I have a strap wrench (sorry, I can't remember what brand. It's red with a tan colored nylon strap). I also ended up taking off the cf handguard after it was installed because that's when I sent the barrel off to ADCO. That was a bitch! Had to wrap the handguard in electric tape just so the wrench could get a grip. It's on there now with Gorilla glue. I'm not too sure I could get it back off without wrecking it. Next time, I'm going to drill and thread some holes into the barrel nut and bolt the handguard to the barrel nut and only use a small amount of glue. Should be plenty sturdy.