• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How consistant are QD mounts?

PlinkIt

GunNut ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2014
Virginia / North Carolina
I have never been a fan of the idea of Quick Detach mounts.. the idea makes me cringe.. but I am aware that great effort has been put into these by some good companies.. so my question..

How well do these QD mounts return to zero? are we talking sub moa consistency? 1/2moa consistency? perfect return every time?..

Depends on which on you use. Research before you buy. Also, if you don't need one, don't bother. If you share optics amongst a few firearms, it's much less trouble. You will still need to check your zero, but will be close. On and off one firearm only, it can be dead on or less than half MOA. Zeros on different guns will all be - different. 5.56 then to a 7.62 them .300 mg will all change zero. QD in this case is fast and easy.

Last edited:
I consider my Spuhr mounts to be QD, even though they are not. I'm going to be swapping optics for awhile until I can afford more glass. My philosophy is this.
I am eventually going to go with 3.5x21 Bushnell Elite Tactical G2HDMR on all 4 of my guns. But for now, I can only afford 2 scopes. One for my AR platform guns and one for my bolt guns. I'm sighted dead on at 100 on my AO-AI-AX 6.5 custom. That scope resides in a Spuhr 20MOA mount. It should be able to transfer over to my CZ 455 22LR. I know the zero will change but I, once dialed, should be able to move the mount to the other gun and by consulting the data book for that gun, dial the same back in. I plan to mark the rail for the location of the scope and adjust length of pull on both rifles to be the same. Ditto for my LWRC REPR and KAC lower with a Kreiger 20" bbl on a Spikes upper.
If it doesn't work out, well, I'm only out a little range time right now and when I get the other scopes, I'll still go for Spuhr mounts on each.

The only hassle I anticipate is the 1/4" or so potential difference in eye relief between the guns. If that is the case, I may have to abandon the project as, at max magnification, there isn't much eye box in that particular scope. I know the 22 shouldn't need the full magnification but it's really nice to only have to know one scope.

I have been using QD mounts for a long time:

1. Blaser QD mounts are on zero every time the scope is detached and reattached; that is even with a 375 H&H Magnum barrel.

2. With Warne bases/QD mounts, there was no loss of zero in detaching/remounting a scope with one exception. That exception was a 378 Weatherby; I went to permanent Warne mounts with that one. Still, by many people's standards, it wasn't bad even on the 378 Weatherby. As I recall, for the first couple of shots after scope remounting, it was off by 0.5 to maybe 1 inch at 100 yards. I used Warne QD mounts on a 300 Win. Mag. with no issues.

3. I've used Talley QD mounts on a 458 Lott with no loss of zero with scope remounting.

4. I tried Leupold QD mounts on a 375 H&H Magnum and they shot loose.

I move my scopes around a lot. Two reasons: (1) Some scopes (shorter ones and lower mag ones) work better for night shooting, with NVD, etc. and (2) Some scopes work better for medium/long range shooting (higher mag ones). Objective size also comes into play on occasion. For me there are two levels of "QD" the "tool-less" and the "nada-tool-less". For my Leupold rings with a 65 i/p torque wrench I can move them quickly. For the Larue 104, I can move that scope without tools.
But when I move a scope from one rifle to the next, I expect to re-zero. If I remove a scope for cleaning and then remount on same rifle, I would expect not to re-zero, but at least to confirm zero.

But if you don't move your scopes around a lot, you probably don't need so much QD. I got rifles with rails so I could be flexible and move things around, so I move things around to re-purpose the rifles. Sometimes this is driven by ammo availability, sometimes it is driven by wanting to try something I haven't tried before. But I do try to exploit the rails, but moving things around. Otherwise, there would be no reason to carry the extra weight of the rails. We would just be "old school" and mount things on rifles and that would be that.

I use QD rings on my Africa hunting rifles. This is so I can get my plains game with the optic, and quickly remove the optic and use my irons if DG present an opportunity. I use 375 H&H magnum for everything over there. My optics are sighted in for 250gr TSXs and my irons are sighted in for 300gr A-MAXs - I carry both loads on the hunt, just in case. I always maintain within 1/4 MOA after removing and replacing the optic.

The secret is in the bases; if using weaver style rings (like the Warne QDs), make sure you use the weaver-style mount. If you use a MIL-STD 1913 rail with a weaver ring, it will not mount tightly and you will experience issues.

I was really surprised that most of the African PHs use Warne steel QD rings and Warne steel 2-piece bases on their optically sighted guns and loaners. The 3 PHs that I use say that they never lose zero going back and forth to iron sights and they have never had an issue shooting with the big calibers. The Sniper's Hide status quo seems to thumb their noses at Warne products, but I have seen them in action under the worst of circumstances and they just work without fail. I also believe they are 100% American made (which is important to me).

I don't have any experience using them with long range optics - I like them for short and medium range glass. I have used LaRue for all of my QD mounts, but they have worked just ask I wanted them to. I'm sure for something like that, take the others' advice and don't get the inexpensive ones.