• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How did cops used to deal with dogs?

true but just think how many of these incidents dont make it to Youtube.

The millions of uneventful interactions with police don't make it to the news or YouTube.
Again, put it in the proper context and realize that just like the millions of uneventful actions of firearms owners, perceptions are skewed by hyperbole.

I’ve been pulled over so many times I may be bullet proof.

95facebook95-132601524695.jpg

We arrested the little sons of bitches and put their ass in jail. This fucker took 6 officers to beat him down. But we got him in the car. This is the pic b4 it took 8 officers to get him out. He was tough...

I see
zero excuse for either of these shootings and these are just the first tow I came on.

Just last night at 2 am I called pd, shots fired (again) half block away.
Saw the car and heard the shot and impact.

Was watching a lightning storm out of my front door at the time.
There were 2 people in the unit, probably a ride along?
I went outside they spotlighted me and I showed hands, aproached them.
The officer got out and holstered his weapon, the other asked the officer what he was doing and he replied,
"he showed hands" and took my report. Evidently the other person was more concerened about me being armed than anything else.

Yes it's 2 am and home owner is armed, holstered open carry, no shit, ya think?
I'm sure the newbies would have prefered naked and unarmed but thats not happening.

These days they seem to come out of training 3 ways scared, roided up, or normal levelheaded and most of the good ones are vetrans.
Thank god for vetrans preferences on hiring!

Reactions: Bender and Maggot
Looks like that CPR dawg habla El Espanol.

Just last night at 2 am I called pd, shots fired (again) half block away.
Saw the car and heard the shot and impact.

Was watching a lightning storm out of my front door at the time.
There were 2 people in the unit, probably a ride along?
I went outside they spotlighted me and I showed hands, aproached them.
The officer got out and holstered his weapon, the other asked the officer what he was doing and he replied,
"he showed hands" and took my report. Evidently the other person was more concerened about me being armed than anything else.

Yes it's 2 am and home owner is armed, holstered open carry, no shit, ya think?
I'm sure the newbies would have prefered naked and unarmed but thats not happening.

These days they seem to come out of training 3 ways scared, roided up, or normal levelheaded and most of the good ones are vetrans.
Thank god for vetrans preferences on hiring!

I’m failing to see your point. You called the police for shots fired and you have an issue with them making sure no one approaches them armed?

And I know good LEOs that are not vets and not so good ones that are. In about 18 years of mil/LE, I haven’t found a correlation except people with good work ethic wil rise up, regardless of prior employment.

Reactions: Bender
I go everywhere that is legal armed, and bet your doing the same.
I'm not about to let some leo try and badger me for thier personal preference.

I don't give one little shit about leo's preferences.
If it bothers leo that citizens carry they need to get over it or get the hell out, of Texas at least.
Didn't piss my pants that the leo had gun drawn and on me before he left the patrol car, sop.

My sop is be armed, no I'm not going to take it inside for some ass's personal preference.
Next time your naiborrhood gets gunfire leave your gun and badge in the house, or shut up the bullshit.

I go everywhere that is legal armed, and bet your doing the same.
I'm not about to let some leo try and badger me for thier personal preference.

I don't give one little shit about leo's preferences.
If it bothers leo that citizens carry they need to get over it or get the hell out, of Texas at least.
Didn't piss my pants that the leo had gun drawn and on me before he left the patrol car, sop.

My sop is be armed, no I'm not going to take it inside for some ass's personal preference.
Next time your naiborrhood gets gunfire leave your gun and badge in the house, or shut up the bullshit.

Please clarify your grievance here. Maybe I'm just slow, but I'm gonna need this one broken down into chapter and verse, I think...

Please clarify your grievance here. Maybe I'm just slow, but I'm gonna need this one broken down into chapter and verse, I think...
He apparently called the cops about someone firing shots in his neighborhood, then wonders why the cops were suspicious of the only guy they found carrying a gun.

Called in as a drive bye, home owner on his own property, don't even need a ltc.
I'm sure that the instant they pull up my file they see an ltc and that repetitively it is an armed reponse.

Supprise, not! 34 years same house same armmed response.

Unlike some people I run outside armed when theats are presented, "gunfire" theats directed at me, family, house, and friends,
Will be met with an armed response till leo show up! Allways!
Not cowering under the bed waiting on leo to get there.

Same thing 4 months ago, one smartass leo asked how do we know it wasn't me,
Told them it was only 1 shot at my house.
I will dump an entire mag, and hit something worthwhile.

Dont get the mentality of explination needed, fishing?

Reactions: ... and ArmyJerry
He apparently called the cops about someone firing shots in his neighborhood, then wonders why the cops were suspicious of the only guy they found carrying a gun.
if im running around shooting the streets up.....im probably not going to wear my sidearm on my hip for all to see...and im probably not going to be walking right up to cop cars either.

im imagining a little common sense tends to go a long way in police work

Reactions: Snuby642
Never mind, found it. Aggravated Battery.

Might be tough for a jury here. Cop is going to say the dog attacked him so fast he had to make a split second decision.

Jury is going to have to decide if they believe he acted knowingly and recklessly and not inside the scope of his job. Not an easy thing for an unbiased jury to do.

Will be interesting to see, but I expect the cop to be acquitted and the city to pay the family a large sum of money.
The city won't pay anything. The taxpayer will pay for yet another fuck up. Why would they care. Not their money anyway.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Hope nobody gets me wrong, generally support leo at all levels.
Just cant stand incompetence or thinking that they have all inclusive rights above the law or civilians.
Can't take intimidation or generally circumventing law to get thier personal way.

Full disclosure.
I have been scared enough to shoot a dog, I undestand that feeling.
Am a pit hater. No apologies!

I would think endangering a child, "injuring " would take precidence in shoot/ don't shoot, lack of training laps at least..
Leo needs punished same as if they were a civilian, no preferences.

If a citizen shot a dog or bad guy, and injured a bystander, there would be charges, leo should be held to no lesser standards,
And given extensive training , maybe higher expected standards.

And to the leo that cry foul and lack of perceived knowledge or training, you don't know me.
The leo should find another line of work when they get out of jail.

Reactions: 12Bravo
Bottom line and I think everyone here would agree...if the choice is between getting bit by a pit and endangering any human, then you take one for the team. That is what we sign up to accomplish. I was ripped by pit bulls on two occasions and also a German Shepard. You heal and move on...if you don’t - well too bad you go into it knowing you are going to die young if you do this kind of work in violent jurisdictions.

I never had to shoot a dog and I am a dog lover for sure. But if another pit hits me up again and there is nothing between me him and beyond I will pop him for sure.

As far as dealing with known threats (you know the house you are going to hit has purposeful attack dogs) there are alternatives.

I know this won’t be popular either, but its better than shooting the dog or endangering humans: Key the door and #2 man has a a large dry chem fire extinguisher with a big cone.

I have personally used this method on a very large Doberman that was mid air over a couch into my cone...a blast deterred sent him to the other room, enabling us to secure the main room and use an animal control noose on him later. We paid for the door (rental of course), the Vet bill to be sure the dog was okay and nobody was seriously hurt.

There 2 types of cops, Pros and idiots.

We fired the idiots and took the unions head on.

Cops are human, they make mistakes. Try it for a few decades and find out for yourself.

Integrity, you either have it or you don’t - regardless of your occupation.

The scenario that started this thread was not a mistake, it was pure incompetence.

Bottom line and I think everyone here would agree...if the choice is between getting bit by a pit and endangering any human, then you take one for the team. That is what we sign up to accomplish. I was ripped by pit bulls on two occasions and also a German Shepard. You heal and move on...if you don’t - well too bad you go into it knowing you are going to die young if you do this kind of work in violent jurisdictions.

I never had to shoot a dog and I am a dog lover for sure. But if another pit hits me up again and there is nothing between me him and beyond I will pop him for sure.

As far as dealing with known threats (you know the house you are going to hit has purposeful attack dogs) there are alternatives.

I know this won’t be popular either, but its better than shooting the dog or endangering humans: Key the door and #2 man has a a large dry chem fire extinguisher with a big cone.

I have personally used this method on a very large Doberman that was mid air over a couch into my cone...a blast deterred sent him to the other room, enabling us to secure the main room and use an animal control noose on him later. We paid for the door (rental of course), the Vet bill to be sure the dog was okay and nobody was seriously hurt.

There 2 types of cops, Pros and idiots.

We fired the idiots and took the unions head on.

Cops are human, they make mistakes. Try it for a few decades and find out for yourself.

Integrity, you either have it or you don’t - regardless of your occupation.

The scenario that started this thread was not a mistake, it was pure incompetence.

EXCELLENT POST!! YOU SAID IT ALL!

if im running around shooting the streets up.....im probably not going to wear my sidearm on my hip for all to see...and im probably not going to be walking right up to cop cars either.

im imagining a little common sense tends to go a long way in police work
Try talking to the same idiots LEO's have to every single day.
When you roll up on ole one tooth Cletus, wearing his multi-stained wife beater, cut-off shorts and work boots proudly wearing his Jennings .380 in a 4 dollar nylon holster, you are NEVER surprised when he WAS the one that capped off the round.

We need a better ratio of cops like vdr.

That used to be the expected normal.

Nowadays not so much.

What has changed?

Do we need a better class of idiot's, not sure how to help with that?

You never know what you you'll see with police and dogs.

The last time I saw a Police / Dog interaction in person one of the local officers was nice and friendly like, squatting down and trying to coax this Rottweiler safely back across traffic towards the subdivision they lived in.

That earned him a blessing in the name of God as I drove by.

Reactions: Tucker301
My dog is my family. I think that's all I really need to say.

Kudos on the fire extinguisher; one of those big cans of pepper spray (the size of a small fire extinguisher) will work even better. No need to ever shoot a dog, you just need to be smarter than one, that's all.

Also have to agree with this: a child sees you kill a dog, you've made a cop hater for LIFE, especially if it's that kid's dog. I saw a pile of dead dogs, a dump truck full, at the back of the dog pound when I was a kid, looking for my lost setter no less. It terrified me and I still to this day fucking hate with a passion a goddamn kill shelter and anyone willing to work for one.

I also feel a bigger effort needs to be made to remove shitbag cops by their peers. My father had a saying, "play with shit and you'll get it on you".

To the good cops and smart cops out there, hats off, and big thanks.

You never know what you you'll see with police and dogs.

The last time I saw a Police / Dog interaction in person one of the local officers was nice and friendly like, squatting down and trying to coax this Rottweiler safely back across traffic towards the subdivision they lived in.

That earned him a blessing in the name of God as I drove by.

That's just the actions of a good person, they say our society can be gauged by how we treat our animals. Dogs have taught me more about being a good person than any human ever did, with some exception. I can't drive by a lost dog and not at least try to get it away from traffic or do something, even if it fucks up my day.

As for cops and dogs, cops should assume any dog inside a house is hostile because YOU are a stranger in HIS house, it's a fact. A nice dog will also kill to protect a child, keep that in mind. Also remember a can of pepper spray will force the biggest and meanest dog to go hide in it's hidey spot, it works far better on them than us and even better than that on bears. What'd Confucious say? Don't use cannonball to kill mosquito?

Reactions: W54/XM-388
That's just the actions of a good person, they say our society can be gauged by how we treat our animals. Dogs have taught me more about being a good person than any human ever did

If you haven't tried it, you'd be amazed how much you'll learn and how you'll feel if you have several large pack dogs like hounds or such living with you in a house, that think of you as pack leader & think they should keep you safe & warm on your bed at night.

I can see both sides of this argument.

I have had bad police interactions. I once had a police officer come up to me while I was fishing, and I handed him my fishing license DL and handgun permit. When he got to the handgun permit he jumped back and drew on me. He thought I was a kid (I look younger than I am) and had been trying to bully me. I guess he was startled to find that he had been messing with an armed adult. I still respect police in general, but just like every other occupation there are some losers too. It just stinks when the losers have a gun and a badge.

I have also been attacked by a dog a few times. One of those times I was working with my brother doing landscaping at a mansion. I had previously pet and gotten acquainted with the large bloodhound named Jenny, and she went up on the deck to take a nap. Jenny had memory issues and when she woke up she came down the deck and started attacking me. I ended up with clothes shredded and a leg and arm messed up pretty good before I could get through a door and away from her. Jenny was usually a nice dog, but you can bet I would have shot her if I had a pistol on me. Human life, including mine, is always more important than an animal's. And no, I didn't sue the multi-millionaire owner. That's just not me.

Should the officer have shot? Probably not, because of how close the girl was. But it is really hard to say what YOU would have done unless you were there in his shoes. You don't always pick the best course of action when you get an adrenaline rush from fear and have to act quickly.

Snubby, I love that you open carry. I do too. I always make sure to be extra friendly when I go into stores and stuff. I look at it as being an ambassador, showing people that you can carry a gun and be a nice guy who doesn't want to hurt anybody.

Last edited:
I know it is asking a lot, but if you look at the video objectively, you can see the officer had less than a second to react. The dog suddenly appeared and seems to have attacked him.
He was likely amped up as he and his partner appeared to be doing a security sweep of the home.
He still should not have discharged his weapon that close to the child.
In regards to pepper spray, that is holstered as well, it would have gotten on the child, likely causing more discomfort than what she suffered and it would have rendered the room uninhabitable for quite some time. Plus, not all officers carry spray.

Many tac-teams now have someone carrying a large CO2 fire extinguisher when they run raids. It is a bit much to ask every officer to carry one with him or her when they report to a scene.

Tasers can be very effective, especially on a heavily muscled dog like a pit bull. The problem is, they are a relatively small, very fast target and it is typically a one shot option. If you miss, now you're standing there holding a useless piece of plastic as you are being eaten.

There is a reason that drug dealers tend to have pit bulls and Rottweilers as pets. It's not because they are animal lovers, it is because they are large, powerful, very territorial and aggressive.

FWIW, the three most aggressive dog breeds, and the ones most likely to bite you are dachsund, chihuahua and jack russel terriers.

If you haven't tried it, you'd be amazed how much you'll learn and how you'll feel if you have several large pack dogs like hounds or such living with you in a house, that think of you as pack leader & think they should keep you safe & warm on your bed at night.

YOure correct, wolves here.

I'm a life-long dog lover and I know I'm biased. In general, dogs can sense that I'm not a problem and I know not to push a nervous dog into a bad situation. Not all dogs are perfect beasts, typically due to abuse by ignorant-assed humans, so I know what it's like to be bit hard. Relative to this thread, if I had to go into the situation as I understand it, and if the dog was aggressive, I'd probably use a night stick defensively, not to strike, necessarily, but to block if charged. Angry dogs can be very quick and vicious, so you need to approach with caution. I can't comprehend squeezing off a round with anyone, let alone a little kid, in the immediate vicinity.

Reactions: Maggot
I can't comprehend squeezing off a round with anyone, let alone a little kid, in the immediate vicinity.
I think thats the primary objection most of us have here. Just a small twitch and the girl was dead, not just hurt.

Strykervet - just an annotation on the OC - if not busting a door and encountering unknown numbers of bad guys, then yes the Big Gulp OC is great ....But I have been the unintended OC recipient myself many times - it can take you completely out of the fight. If we used our big OC cans on the dog or anyone else then we are in danger of it incompacitaing ourselves and hence getting drilled by the bad guys.

On the other hand - I loved using it with a needle sprayer to get perps out of their locked cars when they refused to get out, guys hiding in attics or the most fun of all was my auto paintball gun filled with OC balls if the situation allowed it for a solution.

Reactions: QuickNDirty