• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How did you spend your Memorial Day?

Spock

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2012
Central Montana
Took the family up on the family ranch a little brook trout fishing then some rimfire at a hundred. Finshed the day smokin about 300 ground squirrels. Good day

Attachments

• 76D8A088-038D-4F88-A7A0-53C4BFD908A2.jpeg
    76D8A088-038D-4F88-A7A0-53C4BFD908A2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • 27C127C1-181B-4148-8230-131831196C39.jpeg
    27C127C1-181B-4148-8230-131831196C39.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
Lowered about 100 Flags (that had been posted Friday evening) to half-staff at 0700 hrs this morning. Decorated the Field of Glory with the crosses and wreaths from the war periods as well as the veteran's organizations.

Fired the cannon and three volleys from the Color Guard before Taps at 1200 hrs for our VERY ABBREVIATED Memorial Day observance. Watched a fly-over by two local pilots at 1205 hrs. Raised the Flags to full-staff.

Removed 15 crosses with various wreaths used at the observance at 1430 hrs trying to beat the oncoming rain. Did not beat the rain and now the wreaths and crosses are drying out at The Armory.

Unable to retrieve the Flags at 1700 hrs as planned due to the rain - and now wet Flags. Hope to get them properly stored tomorrow after they have had a chance to dry out.

Gave a brief education on a one-half scale Civil War cannon and fired it a couple of times at The Armory (in the rain) at 1730 hrs.

In other words . . . pretty much the same thing I do every year - on this day.

Hammered the Crappie again today. Fillin that freezer, all summer break. Getting ready to fry some up, and freeze the rest. Hit the lake tomorrow, and do it again. I need to remember to bring a couple pots to grab some purslane.

Enjoyed most of the day just being outside. My wife went to Lowe’s to get flowers for several pots around the porch so we did that this evening

Put the new Flag out.
Looked at it. Thought about Dad, Uncles, and cousins, all Veterans and now gone.
Remembered the good times with them.

Went to range with bud and some vintage 1911's and 1911a1's, fired a couple hundred rounds, and did the 21 gun salute (21 rounds). And remembered.

Read a few things on the hide. Gave some "likes".

Cut a little grass. Ran a trap line, wild hogs and Turkey nest robber coons. Removed the offenders. Found an Indigo snake that had swallowed another whole snake, and took his picture.

Loaded some rounds. Went to smith and picked up boomer. Brought boomer home... settled boomer in for the night.

Did the grilled food thing. Ate like a pig, too full to move. Made grumpy woman smile. Enjoyed that. And we remembered them that went before us.

Were thankful that America gives us the freedoms we have. And we remembered them.

And at bedtime, write this as I remember them.

Best to you good Hide Brothers. Stay safe and well.
VR

Cleaned out the basement all afternoon to find a box with my flag in it, no real significance other than hanging in my garage everywhere I’ve lived since college. Found my uncles old field jacket, my grandad’s sea bag from Korea, some Minnie balls he plucked from the earthworks at Fort Fisher as a kid, and my great uncle’s lighter from his last CO on a hospital ship. Was a good day, normally dad and I would be driving home from Indy today, but it’s postponed, so much for traditions.

I'm recovering, my son turned 17 today and over the past few months have been having AR15 parts come in. Let him know today that he will have his first semi auto rifle, after he puts it together. Of course I will be there, but he will he doing all of the work. Teach him while we have some father son bonding time.

Spent half of the day doing the usual mundane stuff I usually do and the other half thinking about the meaning of today’s holiday. My two uncles who served in WWII who I never knew, one of which died at Okinawa, and my Grandfather who died a couple of years ago at the age of 103. He served as a Supply officer during the war. Still have a K98 in the safe that he picked up after Germans bugged out at the Siegfried Line. Sad that this holiday has little to no meaning to most of the masses other than BBQ and store sales.

I am struggling fighting to provide . but doing it takes to provide for my family. trying times my friends. guns neatly tucked away waiting for the good times to return. this whole virus thing got me in a bind. got what it takes to defend my home my self and family but can't take much more. I want to step up to the line again and hear on the beep. It just sucks for me right now. I still took the time to honor those who fought for our freedom true heros.

Attachments

• 1590461325516.png
    1590461325516.png
    235.2 KB · Views: 31
Spent the day with my three best friends while waiting on their father to die of cancer. Took one of them out and got the heifers locked up since it’s been raining and drove by the prairie dog hill. Got several and drank a beer. Ate leftovers all day since the community has been bringing them food all week.

I spent the afternoon at the Cody Shooting Complex with my 6.5 SAUM .
Shot 550 to 1175 Yards on steel, then mentored a young Army combat veteran who was having difficulty getting his AR15 on paper with new optics. Started close, got him dialed in at 100 then finished him up at 300 yards on steel. Explained the how and why of position, grip, sight alignment, breath control, trigger control and follow through. He listened and applied what he heard.
The change in his confidence was fun to watch.
He spent the last year overseas on contract work and the story he told on lack of ammo and range time was pretty sad.
I was very impressed by this young man and his attitude, his desire to do the right thing for our country and plans for his future.
He is between my youngest daughter and oldest grandson in age. Good young man.
My favorite nephew arrives tomorrow and is a US Army veteran as well, route clearance. Hit by an IED in 2012 in Kandahar province in Afghanistan, 4 of his buddies were killed, he survived. Used his GI Bill to get his pilots license, flies fixed and rotary both. I think they should meet each other.

Went with the fams to Ogunquit (Ohjunkwit) Beach in Maine.

Active use only - no sitting or beach blankets - keep walking.

Foggy kind of raw day but the ocean is always great to be near. Walked a few miles on the beach. Parking lot empty. All restaurants were take out only and doing very little business. Yesterday was the kick off to their season. Under other circumstances, even with the weather, these places would have been jammed with eaters/drinkers.

When we got back from our walk discovered someone had stolen my wife's and her girlfriend's flip flops. How much you want to bet the person that stole someone elses barefoot shoes was wearing a Covid 19 mask?

Woke up this AM to hear MA governor thinks veterans should be honored by wearing a mask.....

What a piece of shit, disgrace, totally misses what veterans died for.

i traveled to a paratrooper/ranger gathering. had a big dinner saturday with the boys and a pile of locals. one of my buddies has a son and daughter that were there, he was laid up and couldnt make it due to surgery. the daughter is going to be big in country music....at some point everyone will know her name. the boy, he gets overlooked a lot because of his sister’s talent. i got to spend a lot of time with him and he helped me grill food for around 100 people. it sucked his dad wasnt there, but it was cool to get to know his son-i made a new friend.

Smoked some burgers. Definitely didn’t have guests...

My granny’s xx birthday party. I don’t know what I hate worse covid-19 stories or my dads aggravated stories about everything. I told them all I was saddened that covid 19 didn’t kill more of em and I just played with my kids as usual. Bikes and motorcycles mostly.

I sat my kids down and talked to them, to go over what this day means. They get it and that's all that matters to me.

Good on you.

My good was to change the flags out at work so they would be fresh and left a message with venom that someone had better lower them at sunrise and raise them at 1200.

The morning is for remembering, the afternoon is to toast them and celebrate the life they could not have.

I was feeling kind of melancholy seeing an area that should have been full of life shut down from fear.

Would D-Day be cancelled if Baloney Virus surfaced May 26, 1944.

They had real things to fear and carried on. It cant be their legacy is a population of people hiding in their houses only willing to venture out in a mask and fearing their neighbors.......Pussies.

I should have gave my kids one of those frequent speeches. They dont pass Eugene McGurl Square or John Conners Square without me telling why there are flags there. They hear enough of my shit, hopefully they remember it.

Flew the flag for those no longer with us and those that are serving.
Lit up the new bar-b-q/fire pit, had a great meal along with an Ultra (hic), made by fiancee.
This morn (Tue) got up before sunrise and drove to a new place to go shooting. It is a quarry just 18 mi. away. I went to check out my new Volquartsen Extractor on my Remington 597 .22 Magnum. Extractor works great, but still had FTF issues, due to magazines. I need to buy some new ones. Recently read that Remington came out with the FOURTH version of their magazine as they had issues with the others. Hope I can locate some.
UPDATE for Tue as I don't like to go out on weekends or holidays, too many peeps...I called around and two LGS had some of the magazines I wanted. In fact I got two of the 4th version mags, but SURPRISE, they turned out to be plastic. I am hoping they work out. The other LGS had one mag. One can never have too many mags...

Last edited:
Reactions: j-huskey
The weather here was pretty shitty so I did some stuff inside I had been putting off. Installed a new sump pump. My house must be near a spring as my sump pit always has water in it. I've pondered getting a battery backup system for quite awhile. Finally got around to buying one a couple of months ago. Got that installed.

My other past time is golf. I have turf, hitting net, and launch monitor in my basement. Along with that I build/assemble my own clubs. I hit a bunch of balls and made any adjustments to the lofts and lies to make sure the gapping was consistent as well as the shot shape. Played catch with my boys when ever the rain let up. Kind of a bunch of random stuff.

Been raining here all day. Still can't get the Flags down and stored. It looks like they will have to spend one more night out in the rain. These are veteran's casket Flags (many with the name on the hoist and some with only 48 stars - so they have been around for quite some time). I really hate to leave them out in the rain.

There was a very brief lull in the rain. I was able to get one down.

As I was trying to restring a new rope (existing rope broken over the weekend) on that particular pole, it started raining again. I could not get the tape to stick to the rope (to thread the new rope up the pole and through the pulley) so I had to tie off both ends of the broken rope. I hope it is still there in the morning. Much more difficult to get the new rope through the pulley, if I have to get to the top of the pole.

There are about 40 (maybe 50) poles that need new rope. I expect that project will be REALLY low on my Fun Meter.

We spent time with the family down at the lake, grand kids are great for telling stories too, they believe everything .