• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes how do i sight in my scope?

the closest one to you...... I zero at 100 but you can at what ever you want to and go from there

i am shooting a remington 700 .308 5R action with 1:11.25 twist my scope is vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP. i am going to hunt white tail deer in a couple of weeks and want to be able to reach out to 800 yards.. not sure if i should use 168 or 175gr rounds

Last edited:
Just to try to help, you will want to bore sight it after. mounting. Either the traditional method of looking down the bore and adjusting the scope near zero at about 25 yards or use a laser bore sighter. After that its really up to you how you want to zero your scope. A lot of people, and I, use a 100 yard zero and dial in for the extended distances. A lot of hunters pick a zero range between two ranges that fit the terrain or hunting situation. Like sighting in for 150 yards knowing you will be an inch or so high at 100 yards and an inch or two low at 200 yards depending on the caliber, load, and grain of bullet.
Hope it helps at least somewhat.

You're asking two questions - method and distance. Which one is causing you problems? The 'standard' for most calibers is 100yds/meters. I've read that for calibers with extra reach zero's are set to further distances.

For method there are several. The Elmer Fudd method is look at a target (at 100yds for instance) through the bore and adjust reticle until it's on what you're seeing through the bore. Not the easiest or slickest but it'll get you close enough to get on target once you start shooting and seeing impact in your sight picture. I did this today when I forgot I'd totally changed my scope set up and hadn't shot with that rifle for ages. I couldn't be bothered to move to the 100yd range so I sighted in on the closest target which was 200yds.

The safe way is to shoot at 25yds, adjust until you're on target, then 50yds, and so on. This way you avoid the 'where did that one go?' moment.

Welcome to the hide and take my advice, remember that nothing is personal... :)

i actually do know how to zero and what a zero is... i was asking for tips for this vortex scope and recommendations for zero distance for long range shooting. i had to part with my prior hunting rifle remington 700 22-250 w/ leupold VX2 3-9X50 and had no problem taking deer at 4oo yards...

hey graham just like you the Marine Corps helped me with me shooting skills...thanks for being an outstanding Staff NCO and looking out for those who need help when they ask for it and never judging......SEMPER FI!!!

The scope or rifle you're using shouldn't affect your zero. Zero at 100 yards and be done. Even without an MOA base you should be able to get to 800 no problem. Don't even consider 168. 155 or 178amax or Berger vld hunting. I question if that's an ethical kill distance for 308win though. But that's on you...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The scope or rifle you're using shouldn't affect your zero. Zero at 100 yards and be done. Even without an MOA base you should be able to get to 800 no problem. Don't even consider 168. 155 or 178amax or Berger vld hunting. I question if that's an ethical kill distance for 308win though. But that's on you...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

thank you...i have a 20 MOA canted base
I'll see if i can get my hands on some of those rounds and go to the range out here

Last edited:
Graham is concerned at taking a shot at a white tail at 800 yards is unethical at best.

him saying "Maybe he should first learn what a zero is, and how to zero the rifle" doesnt sound like a concern... out here in AZ we have Coues whitetail deer and are not bigger than 100lbs

how do i sight in my scope?

Graham is concerned at taking a shot at a white tail at 800 yards is unethical at best.
Graham likes the Marine Corps as much as anyone else does, but the tests he took did not require a Crayon.

Just sayin'.... LOL!

Look, my point is not to judge, except that one should know his rifle before attempting shot placement at long range. If you are asking how to zero, then maybe 800 yard shots on game can wait a bit.

Last edited:
Keep it to 400yds and in if you're honestly asking what distance you should zero your scope at.... Personally I'd do a 200yd zero and call it a day.

Bore Sight in at 25 yards, then, take Your first shot, holding onto the bull, now, after the shot, hold rifle on the bull and adjust scope so it aligns with that bullit hole, now, take Your next shot, if it is`nt on the bull, readjust as in step one.
When satisfied with those results, move out to fifty yards doing a three shot group, holding on the bull, group will be above the bull, do not be concerned, leave it above the bull, adjust scope so it is grouping tight but about two inches above the bull.
Now it should be about dead on at 100 yards.
Same procedure at 100, when satisfies with those results, if You are going to be using 180 gr. booolits, then, move the cross hairs so it is shooting about four foot above the bull.
Move out to a 800 yard targut, use a 4X8 sheet of plywood and one hell of a powerfull spotting scope or a telescope might work even better or a spotter, with a spotting scope set up, out of harms way to radio the results back to You.
Now, start the procedure as stated above until You are satisfied with how the booolits is grouping.
Try it now with a deer size targut, practice, several hundred boxes of boolits and shooting in all sorts of conditions and Your chances at that 800 yard whitetail`ll greatly improve.

You should be able to zero in three shots without shooting at four different distances, using up a box of ammo, and needing a friend with a spotting scope and a two-way radio.

You can't make this stuff up......Oh, wait a minute, Yes: you absolutely can make this stuff up.

I too live in Ariona and if you were hunting anywhere in the mountains recently you have experienced 20-40mph gusts. I know what Coues deer are. Get sighted at a 100 or 200 zero and get some Berger 155's and give it a go. If you gon't handload, you might get lucky and find a box or two of Federal "Deer Thugs" which were accurate for me or some Fusion's which might give you a few more feet per second. Then go buy a rangefinder and make sure of the distances. Cross canyon might be 250 yards, but by the time you hike down and back it will be a half mile.

Good luck. You only have a few weeks you need trigger time at least 50 to 100 rounds (to me that is applicable) and scout time - unless you have a guide already.