• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how do you decide how much ammo to have?

Jayne

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
RTP, NC
How do you decide how much ammo you have in your home stash? I'm not talking about what you carry or how much you have in your vehicle, but at whatever you call home.

Do you have:

1. as much as you can afford?
2. as much as you can physically store?
3. some number of months work of 'normal use' based on how often you shoot?
4. an arbitrary number of rounds you just like?
5. something else?

I keep coming back to #4, thinking:

3000 carbine rounds
4000 handgun rounds
600 bolt gun rounds
40 bolt gun hunting rounds
500 hunting shotgun rounds (those birds are tricky!)
250 more serious shotgun rounds
1000 .22 LR

Too much for the casual shooter and occasional hunter?

How to YOU decide?

Re: how do you decide how much ammo to have?

i take what I shoot each month and times it by three and at any given time I have that amount. not cause i think the ammo is going to run out, but cause its convenient for me to not run out and get ammo before i go shooting.

I dont have a limit, if i see a good deal ill scoop some more up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I dont have a limit, if i see a good deal ill scoop some more up </div></div>

That's my guideline. Depending on how low my stock gets, how good of a deal it has to be before I buy.

More=Better

It's a factor of how many Zombies you expect in your AO.
Patrick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DODGE268</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a factor of how many Zombies you expect in your AO.
Patrick </div></div>

More Gooder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you decide how much ammo you have in your home stash?</div></div>

All you can get before your significant other tells you otherwise!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
All you can get before your significant other tells you otherwise! </div></div>

That's how this all came about. I told the wife I wanted to add more to the stockpile and she wanted to know how I would know when the stockpile was big enough. She suggested I ask "those guys on that forum you're always reading" so that's what I did.

A years worth of loaded ammo, and another years worth of reloading componets. Remember when everyone was looking for primers and Varget and the supply chain was dry?

It didnt affect me one bit
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's how this all came about. I told the wife I wanted to add more to the stockpile and she wanted to know how I would know when the stockpile was big enough. She suggested I ask "those guys on that forum you're always reading" so that's what I did.
</div></div>

Show her what happened to ammo prices when Obama got elected. Assure her its not a frivolous hobby but a wise economical investment like gold or stocks, except immediatly valuable in case SHTF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's how this all came about. I told the wife I wanted to add more to the stockpile and she wanted to know how I would know when the stockpile was big enough. <span style="color: #3333FF">She suggested I ask "those guys on that forum you're always reading" so that's what I did.</span> </div></div>

She sounds very reasonable!

My wife is constantly harping on me that we need to add to the ammunition stockpile. She fears that the governments zombies will be coming sooner rater than later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You only have too much ammo if you're either on fire or sinking.
laugh.gif

</div></div>

Okay, THIS may be the coolest sigline

Whatever your equation,for rounds and components, multiple it times 2 and make that your new goal. Reach your goal and do the math again. Then again.And again.And again.And......well you understand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DODGE268</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a factor of how many Zombies you expect in your AO.
Patrick </div></div>

beat me to it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muley Fanatic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife is constantly harping on me that we need to add to the ammunition stockpile. She fears that the governments zombies will be coming sooner rater than later. </div></div>

same here, i reload so there is no limit to our stash, i reload for only two calibers so it is easy to keep the empty cases to a minimum, all the other calibers we have are bought at gun shows, there is a minimum of 1,500 rounds for the seldom used guns.

</div></div>

Just ask her how many pair of shoes is enough or how much makeup is truly needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She suggested I ask "those guys on that forum you're always reading"</div></div>

Wise woman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so that's what I did.</div></div>

Wise man

35,000 rounds of 223, 45, 40, 9, 38 some 22, 12ga, 338, 30-30 40,000 primers and 40 lbs of powder that should hold me over......Funny thing was i bought a safe just for the ammo and still didn't have enough room.

Well, putting my airguns aside for the moment, all the ammo I need in my house is .22LR and 12 gauge. I ALWAYS keep at least one full case on 100 birdshot shells for trap shooting or small game. I keep 5 rounds of 00 buckshot in my shotgun for HD. Now as far as .22LR, I just throw the ammo loosely in a fanny pack I wear when I go shooting. Judging by the bulk of it right now, I'm guessing it has about 300 rounds inside.

No Mr. Government Official that wants to take away my guns. I don't have a stockpile of weapons or ammo. wink wink

Some of you are clearly nuts.
smile.gif

She's agreed now that this is a hard topic because unlike the stuff she buys, there are not millions of people out there trying to ban collectible horse figures, pet food, etc. Plus it doesn't matter who's in office, there has yet to be a run on NASCAR die cast cars...

We're still discussing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's how this all came about. I told the wife I wanted to add more to the stockpile and she wanted to know how I would know when the stockpile was big enough. <span style="color: #3333FF">She suggested I ask "those guys on that forum you're always reading" so that's what I did.</span> </div></div>

She sounds very reasonable! </div></div>

please post picture of wife.

It's like the answer to the question of how many recruits can you put into a cattle car...always one more.

As much as I can sneak into the house without CINCHOUSE (Commander in Chief / Household) noticing.

Combination of how much can I store, how much do I want to spend, do I have enough in the event of an emergency?

For 9mm I have a couple hundred hollow points and a couple hundred practice, 45 ACP same thing.

308 I'm down to 300rds tho.

06 - enough to do the job.

Ar-15 - enough to get by on but prefer another 1k onhand...

Balance..

IN a nice world...

1,000 .308 Match, reloaded to 2600fps(500) and 2700fps(500)
900 .308 147's @ 2600
500 .308 M118LR clones
200 .308 185GK 2600fps
500 - 1,000 M855 clones
600 7.62x39
500 .45 230fmj
500 .45 185hp(hydrashok, golden sabre clones)
200 .32 ACP

I need to get my garage finished so I can reload all my stuff and get my chit together. It may be a while before that happens though

Reality...

enough 308 match to do the job
enough 308 147's to do the job
enough 5.56 to do the job
got a few .45, need more
got a box of .32, need more
got a few boxes of 7.62x39

I've got enough to start something, but clearly not enough to finish it

Hm... ammo locker 8'x4'x3'. Shelves are pretty much full with ammo and reloading components. Do need get some more 375 cheytac brass and 50 BMG components.

Switchblade, looks like I need to do some 45 reloading for you. What do you do with the .32? Paperweight to hold the reloading manuals open? Just kidding

The little Berretta Couger was my Grandfather's last CCW gun from his time in the CA DOJ. HE passed it off to my mom after a 'small incident involving a man'(She was a brown belt tea kwon do/kick boxer as well as the hottest hospice nurse in three counties). I found it along with the Ruger's(Comp, and Vaquero .22's) in a box in a closet.
The .32 had a full mag of Hydra Shoks, and there is the rest of the box. It is old enough to have the original Walnut scales and not the plastic that is on the new models. For a tip barrel that hides in pocket behind any ID card, it will definately put an eye or two out at close range, and cause major heart burn from the solar plexus or stomach.
I like it as a 'boot gun' due to it's itty bitty size, kind of a last ditch oh crap thing, but for now, as it is with the .45, the .22's in Nor-Cal, it is awaiting transport here.
Besides, Panty 6 says 'it's cute!'

and Panty 6 rules....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What do you do with the .32?</div></div>

Good "gut gun"

well last I inventoried it was around 24,000 loaded rounds for pistol, rifle and shotgun. But the primer count was just over 50,000 and 3 presses and 3 scales and ......you get the idea.

It's not the ammo you have but the ones you can load!

<span style="color: #003300"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><span style="font-size: 20pt">"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"</span>
</span></span></span>
<span style="font-style: italic">--Rudyard Kipling--</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
please post picture of wife. </div></div>

She said 'sure'.
smile.gif

We just talked it over and I ordered up 3500 rounds to add to the stash, it's now complete for everything except .22 which I'll get with my next midway order.

john_wedding2.jpg

I think for some it comes down to having enough to start something, and get away with enough to sustain survival. For others it comes down to having enough to sustain a small local war. For most, it comes down to having enough to shoot lots of stuff through the warm season, and reloading it all during the cold season.
There is not enough time to balance out getting the house straight, reworking the garage, or building all the new benches and stuff. House needs this, house needs that, fix this, insulate that...
Hopefully it will all come together when the weather warms up over 68*

I bought a few cases of each caliber I have to put away then every payday I will buy atleast 1 box in the 4 calibers I own. Sometimes more if there is a good deal or I work some ot. I pay 90% of the household bills and take care of the repairs and most upgrades on the house so my wife says nothing about what I spend my extra money on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you decide how much ammo you have in your home stash? I'm not talking about what you carry or how much you have in your vehicle, but at whatever you call home.

Do you have:

1. as much as you can afford?
2. as much as you can physically store?
3. some number of months work of 'normal use' based on how often you shoot?
4. an arbitrary number of rounds you just like?
5. something else?

I keep coming back to #4, thinking:

3000 carbine rounds
4000 handgun rounds
600 bolt gun rounds
40 bolt gun hunting rounds
500 hunting shotgun rounds (those birds are tricky!)
250 more serious shotgun rounds
1000 .22 LR

Too much for the casual shooter and occasional hunter?

How to YOU decide?

</div></div>

#4 is good for me too. My numbers used to be lower until I bought a progressive loader and came into a shit ton of brass for free. Now most lowest on hand for caliber I shoot least is 1K. Highest being 5K for my AR and 45 acp

Looks like someone got married at the Brazilian Room......

Like Ranger70 said...
5000 for each caliber
15000 for .223

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
please post picture of wife. </div></div>

She said 'sure'.
smile.gif

We just talked it over and I ordered up 3500 rounds to add to the stash, it's now complete for everything except .22 which I'll get with my next midway order.

john_wedding2.jpg
</div></div>

i try to keep about 2-3 months worth on hand at all times....and like the others said i buy if i find a good deal...sometimes have more or less just depends, no real set amount though....

I don't give the question much thought. Ammo in sight and cash inhand make as much of a difference for me as anything of an intellectual nature. Typically, I try to keep more onhand than I might reasonably use at an one time. Most of my ammo is handloaded anyway, and I have a mental block against stockpiling and longterm storage of ammo. Shotgun fodder and .22LR are my main exceptions, since I don't handload S/G fodder, and personally believe .22LR ammo keeps forever and one can never really have enough of it.

Greg

I tend to stock up on my favotite calibers (ones that are more common)and then a decent amount in all others. Rule of thumb, atleast 500 rounds in every caliber gun I own. If it dosnt have ammo, it doesnt belong in my safe!