• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing How do you feel about crossbows

7.62_Reaper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
I was just curious how you guys on the hide felt about the use of crossbows in hunting, some people like them, others have told me that it isn't fair to the animals because it makes bow hunting too easy.

Here's my thoughts, I don't necessarily disagree that they make things too easy however I feel like if I can use a tool that will give me a better chance of making a clean ethical shot ill use it.

What are your thought?

they do make things a little easier than a bow. the way I see it is when I shot a average buck with my bow, i'm more proud of it than the 140 class I shot with my gun later in the season. the crossbow would be somewhere in between.

I like the challenge though

To each their own. If you want to hunt with a crossbow go ahead I say. I do not see how anybody can object to someone using a crossbow.

I don't really understand the concept of it making it too easy. To me this is a pretty lame argument that can just snowball because if the guy using a compound bow says that a crossbow makes it to easy, their is a guy using a recurve saying a compound bow makes it to easy and so on.

What is wrong with making it easy anyways. If you hunt purely for the challenge that's fine but if your like me I'm just out to get meat , which is why I don't even mess with bow hunting at all anymore.

I don't have one, nor do I hunt with bows, but my opinion, a crossbow like the bow limits your range, means you have to know how to stalk and get close. I have to respect that, with either a bow or crossbow.

If you want the challenge, hunt with a bow. If you want meat, hunt with a crossbow.

I used to hunt the black powder season in Colorado for the challenge when I lived there. Took my first deer with a .50 TC muzzleloader kit I built when I was 13. That felt pretty good when you built the rifle yourself. As I got older and had 3 kids, I would wake up opening day of Elk season with my 7mm mag, open the front door, look at the herd 200 yards off my front porch while sipping my coffee and wait for one to wander out of the pack. Mytag was filled 15 minutes after sun up, skinned and hung in the shop by 9:30 and my kids were fed for the whole year... And that felt pretty good as well.

I think what will satisfy the need you have the most at the time dictates how you feel about the weapon you decide to use.

There is an absolute trade-off on compound vs. crossbow.
Crossbow has a much faster learning curve
Scope makes it slightly more accurate that compound bow with pins.
Less movement when on a stand before launching an arrow

Compound is much, much lighter
Less bulky, much thinner. There is really no easy way to carry it, especially with a climber on your back.
Here is the biggest: compound can shooter farther, quieter. Compounds have about a 30yd break even point between noise and string jump. My crossbow is very loud, while my compound, when set up fully, is pretty darned quiet.

Edge to crossbow for ease of use. Edge to compound for maneuverability and quietness.
A compound is more to the spirit of archery, but then a recurve (which I no longer shoot) is even more so, and a long bow is... You get the picture.

They were just made legal to hunt with in NC in the last few years. Most of the old time bow hunters refuse to use them. To me its not "bow" hunting. Its closer to a muzzle loader than a bow. They are very popular and they are cool to shoot but here its almost Republican/Democrat. I enjoy shooting and hunting with a bow but I don't plan on ever buying a crossbow.

The +s and -s have been hashed out above. If you want to use one then great. There are 6 guys on our lease and I am the only one that does not use a crossbow. We all enjoy getting outdoors and hunting and the crossbow makes it a bit easier for them to do it. We are all meat hunters (although I am hoping to put a P&Y buck on the ground this year) and a bow (or crossbow) is the only legal means to take a doe- an only during archery season- in our county.

The crossbow allows more people to get out and enjoy our sport. In a time where the hunting population is shrinking every year, the addition of legal means that draws new (or former) hunters to the sport is a GOOD thing.

I used to bowhunt, but developed shoulder problems (unrelated to shooting a bow) and the crossbow allows me to get out in the woods where otherwise I'd have to wait till ML season. I would much rather use a bow. The crossbows I've used have all been unbalanced, heavy for their size, and EXTREMELY unwieldy in the stand or especially when stalking. If I ever get my shoulder straightened out, back to the bow I go. Gettin old sucks.

crossbows have ALWAYS had a stigma, which I find somewhat amusing. they're still a far cry from using a centerfire rifle, or even a muzzleloader. I don't care much for hunting with them because the dang things are bulky, and really seem pretty boring to me. I'd just assume take a nice short axle-to-axle length compound.

Don’t concern yourself with the ethical standards of others; everyone will see things differently. The list of distain general goes something like this: Long range rifle, rifle, modern muzzleloader, shot gun, traditional muzzleloader, handgun, long range bow, cross bow, compound bow, recurve/long bow, spear, knife/hatchet, sling shot and finally dead fall and/or chasing them off a cliff. I am sure I missed a few though...

Then there is the sub-categories optics verses not, semi auto verses bolt verses single shot, patches verse sabots, sights on your bow or instinct, use of a horse to chase them off a cliff verses a group of friends...

Last edited:
I always have wanted a knife kill on a whitetail!! Had a chance when I was about 12 on a deer drive but I ran like a pussy and I only had a buck folding knife, no time to draw. Should have had a bayonet!!
One day when i wake up from my early morning nap while hunting a huge 200 inch whitetail will be standing over me just waiting to be stabbed!!!
And I'm inspired by the above post to now add running a deer off a cliff to my bucket list!!!

Oh yea, I shoot a compound and will until it hurts too bad to draw it back. Then crossbow it is!!

I am all for hunting with crossbows. I bow hunt and also use my crossbow. The crossbow still has a lot of the same limitations that a bow does like distance, wind and so forth but is just another tool in the toolbox.

I stuck this guy with my crossbow at 25 yards. I usually hunt with my bow but from a ground blind the crossbow makes it a lot easier for me because I have so many deer sometimes it takes a good bit of time for there not to be a few deer next to each other so I can take a clean ethical kill.

DSC_0647.jpg

The only advantage a crossbow has over a regular bow is the fact that you don't have to draw it when you see the deer...

I hunt mostly from the ground, and have bow hunted for over 30 years...it was always the draw that got me busted.

I now have a crossbow, this season was my first with it...I just don't see why some folks think they are so evil.

Disclaimer: My crossbow shoots 330 fps (chrono'd)...some bows get up around that speed...now when you get up into the 400+ fps crossbows...then maybe I could agree, that might be cheating a little, because it does extend the range a bit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I don't hunt with either (bow or crossbow), may in the future, but I don't now or haven't.

But it seems to me that if crossbows are cheating, because of extended ranges, then how not is a scoped HP rifle cheating over using a 30-30 iron sighted lever gun.

That is a point I've argued with myself about on occasion...

Fast crossbows are just a natural progression....much like the magnum rifle craze of years past.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I have tried other peoples crossbows, but do not own one. I love anything that shoots and would certainly hunt with one. Their technology is getting higher tech each season. As soon as they are lighter and less cumbersome I will be more interested. They are starting to use light composites and reverse limbs now.

Why do we a concern ourselves with what we hunt with rather than support hunting? The difference between us an them whether it hunting or shooting is they are united and we are divided. If you chose to hunt ethically with a slingshot or a 50 bmg I support you.

I think if a person has a disability and cannot pull a compound back then thats fine. But when i see buddies of mine that are in their 20s and ive seen them pull my bow back but they hunt with a crossbow it kinda upsets me. I hope i can shoot my compound forever but i feel with my shoulders at 22 are popping and clicking and partially torn rotator cuffs ill end up with a crossbow before long...

I am fine with people using them to hunt, just not during bow season. If you have never drawn a bow with a deer in front of you then you don't understand. Crossbows are for handicapped and lazy people.

You will always have those who are haters. They are everywhere including here on the hide and in this thread. If using crossbows is ok in your state then do so. Deer hunting is about managing the deer population not a popularity contest.

The ND Game and Fish should listen but they do not. The deer are considered their deer and seen as a cash cow for the reaping.

Here you can now use a crossbow during rifle season if you want but not during bow season. Again here in ND it is about making cash not managing deer.

Please do not let that “lazy” shit stop you. Road hunting here in ND is almost the state past time. When the GNF is on the radio they get questioned about that all the time. They know it happens and do nothing about it. So if you are willing to get out there then good for you. Use whatever weapon is legal and makes you happy.

If you think using a bow is challenging try using a pickup. I lost my paper I was keeping stats on but I think I am over 20 for the year.

Until a couple of years ago you couldn't hunt with a crossbow in Michigan unless you were disabled. Having hunted with everything from self-bows to compounds and everything in between (rawhide and sinew backed wood, fiberglass backed flatbows, longbows, recurves, etc.) I can say with certainty that it's about the personal challenge and satisfaction. We had a very successful deer camp this year but the greatest excitement came from an 11 year old boy that killed his first deer with a crossbow. I take as much satisfaction in a rifle kill as a bow kill, but what the heck, that's just my $0.02.

PA allows cross-bows. I bought one this year, to allow me to have more hunting seasons open to me. As of now, I got to hunt two days in archery season, but will miss all of fire-arms season, as I am stuck in Kansas/Missouri, and can't make it home. We do have flint-lock season, when archery is also legal, coming after Christmas. I will be home then, God willing, and will go out some then. I chose a cross-bow, as I do not have the time to spend on my long range rifle pursuits, let alone take up traditional archery and become really proficient in it. I was looking forward to rifle season this year, as I was planning to use my K-31 with open sights to hunt---well, I hope to next year, now.
I hunt partly for the thrill of being in the woods once more, but mostly because I really enjoy wild game for food. I felt that a cross-bow would enable me to have more available hunting seasons while still allowing me a good chance for an ethical kill.
I do, however, admire those who can use a long-bow or a compound bow to good effect while hunting. I also hope to use a revolver to kill a deer some day. Any legal way to make an ethical kill is fine by me---just my $.001

They were just made legal to hunt with in NC in the last few years. Most of the old time bow hunters refuse to use them. To me its not "bow" hunting. Its closer to a muzzle loader than a bow. They are very popular and they are cool to shoot but here its almost Republican/Democrat. I enjoy shooting and hunting with a bow but I don't plan on ever buying a crossbow.

Im also in NC and the problem I see is the guy that buys it and shoots it once and now thinks he has a rifle to use in archery season. Basically they don't know the weapon they are hunting with. Don't get me wrong this problem exist with compounds and rifles alike but I think it is more prevalent among the crossbow guys right now given the novelty.

I started to bow hunt when I was 12 and that was a while ago, anything that gets your ass out in the woods is OK with me.

While it doesn't really matter to me personally, I think an early archery season should be "bow only" to give hunters that are forced to hunt on public lands the opportunity to do so without the added pressure that comes from allowing crossbows. In my state, crossbows used to be legal for handicapped/elderly only. Once they allowed anyone to use crossbows, every redneck in the country got one. While I like the fact that this allows more deer to be harvested (which is needed in many areas), I would like to see the dedicated archer be able to enjoy a little time in the woods without a crowd of morons who never would put in the effort to hunt during a real "archery" season.

I agree it makes more competition in the woods. However that is what allowing them was intended to do. I shoot compound, but if they are legal can't fault anyone for choosing to use them.

I am fine with people using them to hunt, just not during bow season. If you have never drawn a bow with a deer in front of you then you don't understand. Crossbows are for handicapped and lazy people.

let me guess... you use a compound.. with sight pins, CF shafts.... and a release?...

sent control sprays.... sent control clothing and trail cams?

let me guess... you use a compound.. with sight pins, CF shafts.... and a release?...

sent control sprays.... sent control clothing and trail cams?

And all of that does very little to help you when you actually have to stand up and shoot your deer. Crossbows are for lazy ass sit down and wait hunters. I have killed a lot of deer in surplus bdu's with a old school pse. I have taken deer with a recurve and cedar arrows as well. Now even lazy slobs can whack a deer during bow season, thanks crossbows.

And all of that does very little to help you when you actually have to stand up and shoot your deer. Crossbows are for lazy ass sit down and wait hunters. I have killed a lot of deer in surplus bdu's with a old school pse. I have taken deer with a recurve and cedar arrows as well. Now even lazy slobs can whack a deer during bow season, thanks crossbows.

I am far from a lazy hunter and have killed many more deer with a compound than I have with my crossbow, crossbows hunting does suit my hunting style better I don't like sitting in stands, don't like climbing in trees and actually can't at this point after severely breaking my leg/knee last year and prefer to be mobile while hunting and sit where I choose to on a given day. I enjoy being in the woods and will never criticize someone else choice of weapon while hunting and doing something they enjoy.

You attitude and lumping all people that like to hunt with crossbows as lazy ect. Kinda makes you sound like a elitist asshole, not that you are but that is the way it comes across.

Last edited:

it would have been easier to say "Yes"...

you think CB users suck... i get it...
just like no pin no release bow shooter think you suck... just like long bow flit tip shooters think they suck... and atlatl users think they suck... and spear users then they suck...

its all about the FUDD mindset that people believe whatever they use is morally better than the other guy...

and some how 1 way of hunting is "more fair and ethical" way of hunting then another.. these people also for some reason believe hunting is a "sport"...

it would have been easier to say "Yes"...

you think CB users suck... i get it...
just like no pin no release bow shooter think you suck... just like long bow flit tip shooters think they suck... and atlatl users think they suck... and spear users then they suck...

its all about the FUDD mindset that people believe whatever they use is morally better than the other guy...

and some how 1 way of hunting is "more fair and ethical" way of hunting then another.. these people also for some reason believe hunting is a "sport"...

I simply see more and more fudds wandering into my hunting area during a time of the year when you used to need a modicum of skill to hunt that season. Like you said its a ancient debate, Longbow vs crossbow. A lifetime of skill vs a easy to use machine. You would think Agincourt had settled that argument.

Just a quick question for you, what's your favorite hunting rifle to use there in Ohio. I lived in Ohio for a while for school. Some nice deer, I bet its great being able to make a long shot across those flat farm fields.

being ohio, we cant use rifles for deer, only shotgun slugs, pistols and muzzleloaders...

if its not deer, we can use 50bmg for chipmunks if we like...

that said, in the past i have used a 6" 686 357mag out to 70y, and slugs out to 100y

as of 2 days ago, i now have a 300y inline MZ that will now be my "rifle" and will have no use for slugs..

being ohio, we cant use rifles for deer, only shotgun slugs, pistols and muzzleloaders...

if its not deer, we can use 50bmg for chipmunks if we like...

that said, in the past i have used a 6" 686 357mag out to 70y, and slugs out to 100y

as of 2 days ago, i now have a 300y inline MZ that will now be my "rifle" and will have no use for slugs..

I know. Its always brought me no end of amusement. I may be a fudd, but at least my state trusts me with a rifle while enjoying my favorite "sport".

I simply see more and more fudds wandering into my hunting area

Your use of the word "my" I guess you don't like them shooting "your" deer either. I assume it is public land that you are referring to and they have as much right to be there as you do. If they are as lazy of hunters as you say then they shouldn't have a chance at many of "your" deer.

Your use of the word "my" I guess you don't like them shooting "your" deer either. I assume it is public land that you are referring to and they have as much right to be there as you do. If they are as lazy of hunters as you say then they shouldn't have a chance at many of "your" deer.

I am a landowner and my family owns land I hunt as well. We have a nice piece of hunting property next to state land. Those idiots put tacks in my trees, stands up on my property and wander though my hunting areas.

Those would be the the lazy slobs you speak of not real hunters, doesn't matter which weapon they choose to hunt with.

Those people are trespassing on your land. That is where the hostility seems to come from, from other hunters who have been brought into the fold.
Time to clean house.

I just know I have seen an increase in hunter traffic during bow season since crossbow hunting was legalized across the board. Fudd it up all you want nov-dec, October is for real bow hunters.

Here in my home state bow season runs from Oct 1 through January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more I read this thread the more I am glad I hunt coyotes hard the first month of bow season. Nothing makes a bow hunter mad like someone calling for coyotes within a few hundred yds of them. Well shooting a coyote near them will cause them to get to 11.

same feeling as the OP, seems LA. is the same as PA. when it comes to crossbows.

but, i think mechanical releases and all that alien technology in todays compounds (and even in some recurves) takes alot of "archery gear" too, puts less emphasis on skills vs. mechanical advantage and is practically a crossbow shot sideways.

Kimber can you use rifles there? Just curious. You guys have some big whites down there too.

Our DNR has screwy rules based on pistol cartridge length. Can use cartridges 1.80" or less case length with bullets that are .358 and above.

You've also heard wrong. There are no big white tails down here. Nothing to look at, keep moving along... grin

Sportsmen challenge themselves, and it is up to them to decide how hard they want the hunt to be regardless of the tool used in the hunt. One of the ways we add to the challenge is to use tools that handicap us. Some use a long bow vs a compound, some use a compound vs a crossbow. Some people only want to kill old bucks, there are fewer of them and they are much smarter than the button buck someone else puts in the freezer. None of these hunters are wrong as long as they obey game laws that are, by the way, pretty similar across the country when it comes to defining hunting ethics. I say go out and hunt, have a good time with whatever tool you want to use.

I use rifles, shotguns, muzzle loaders, recurves, compound bows, handguns, and crossbows to hunt big game. The closest range I ever killed a deer was 6 or 7 yards with a shotgun, last year I shot a deer at 5 yards with a compound bow. The gun kill I crept up on the deer on the ground, the bow kill the deer walked past me while I was on the ground. Was the shotgun kill any less thrilling or somehow less of a hunt? I don't think so and, frankly, my opinion is the only one that counts in this situation.

Something else the crossbow allows for is kids hunting during the archery season. My 10 year old can't draw the required 28" and 40lb bow. I can load the crossbow for her and we can go hunting.

Well said, Wes.
I just can't see the issue. There are still people arguing in the muzzleloader community about in-lines. The die-hard flintlock guys think cap shooters, or even rifled barrel shooters are not staying "true" to the sport.
The states have set their own guidelines. No crossbow in some states, and some states say no scopes at all on MZ, while others say no magnified scopes on MZ.
I've shot deer with shotguns, rifles, MZs, compounds and crossbows.
This year I want to take one with a SBR'd AKS-74U and next year with my M2HB. How's that for variety?
It's all good.