• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns How do you keep your knives sharp?

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
I have a lansky (spelling??) sharpener and it works ok but i dont like the edge that it leaves, just curious if you guys have any other favorite ways to sharpen your knives? any favorite stones?

Re: How do you keep your knives sharp?

rub the edge on me face at a 20 degree angle all john j. and stuff.

Lansky followed by a pass on the buffing wheel with a little black buffing compound. Shaves clean.

Just go down to the local Home Depot and get a small bench grinder and two buffing wheels. A yellow wheel(course), and a white wheel(fine). With the two wheels get a chunk of black rouge(yellow wheel) and a chunk of white rouge(fine). Once you get a polished edge on the knives it is super quick to touch the up every couple of days. This method also works extremely well on serrated edges. Waaaaaaay faster than a stone, and takes way less steel off of your knife blades.

you guys that use lanskys do you have the new diamond ones? the sharpener i have is one my dad got back when i was little if not before that. It just has the stones and IMHO they leave the edge to rough (even if i use the extra fine honing stone that it has. Ive considered getting a couple of the newer model diamond stones, but not sure if they will help at all

A rather large set of course and fine cermaic cross sticks. I have had them going on 20 years. I sharpen everything from kitchen knives to my auto's I carry. Takes about 5 minutes on the course and about 3 minutes on the fine. When you feel the edge with your thumb it does not "Catch" so you think, huh must not have gotten it sharp lay to your arm hair and the hair falls off like you are suffering from radiation poisioning.LOL.
Seriously the first time I used them way back I about cut my thumb thinking I was not getting and edge.

Smith makes a yellow plastic shapener in China. Sells for about $3.99 in Wal-Mart's sporting goods department.

Small enough to fit in a pants pocket, it even has a hole provided so it could be used as a (somewhat large) key fob.

It uses a metal V and a pair of small ceramic rods, also in a V. I resharpen everything from ripple edge bread knives to X-Acto blades with mine. Works great, and they are especially handy for ripple edged blades.

They <span style="font-style: italic">do</span> tend to wear out, but they are also quite cheap and easy to replace.

I used to award pocket knives to deserving Scouts, and I always included one of these sharpeners with the knife. There's few things less useful, and more dangerous, than a dull knife in a kid's hands.

Greg

I have a ceramic stone made by Spyderco and it works awsome on touch-ups and a Diamond stone for all the knives I sharpen for my friends (extremely dull). I did have to learn to use the stones and as stated it took a long time to get it right. The Lansky is a very good system b/c it keeps the angles the same, which will hold an edge much better and be sharper.

Every type of knife I have sharpens different (I am anal, I can shave with my wifes kitchen knives, and I mean smooth shave). The best for me, is start with a Norton water stone. Real coarse and coarse (dual sided). Then go to a medium arkansas stone (I just soak mine in water along with the Norton). From their some will go onto a fine Spyderco Whetstone, or onto leather strap. If they go to the Whetstone, on some of them I put on a steel afterwards.

The biggest thing with the Nortons, is to make sure you build a burr on one side of the blade, then switch sides, and build a burr on the other. When you switch to the less coarse side, knock that burr off first, then 5 swipes on each side, do this two or three sets, then onto the arkansas stone.

I recently acquired an Emmerson commander, after a person learns to sharpen a chisel ground recurved knife, and keep it like a razor, you can sharpen damned near anything.

One more thing, if you go the stone route, make sure you get 8", long steady strokes are key, and you can sharpen longer bladed knives easier. I probably have $200 tied up in all my stones, which include a ton of arkansas, I dont use anymore. Hope this helps.

Dad taught me, many moons ago, basics of making things sharp.
Proper use is more important than brand or type of stone.
For small size I would look for a 2x6 Norton combination stone.
Black coarse on one side and fine India on the other.
Now days I prefer DMT diamond stones.
Everything from custom carbide tooling to 14" kitchen blades.

Harder and finer, the less removal.
Proper angle and keeping it is the key.

Not gonna slice a roast with a 2-1/2" pocket knife.
Also not gonna gut a deer with a 12-14 chefs knife.

Have you tried yt?
Might have to go myself.

I am a knife maker and have tried about every approach to skinning this cat that I could find, from stones, diamond stones,to 1x42 belt. There are a hundred ways and as many contraptions out there and most of them work with some practice.

For me I dumped the money on a wicked edge about six months ago and I am loving it. I can finish up a blade and get it scalpel sharp in just a few minutes. It is basically a Lanski on steroids, but is very fast and keeps your edge geometry with adjustable angle for different purposes/blade styles.

Also if anyone is interested there is a hell of a deal on the kit through promotive.com.

Ubet,

almost blew coffee out my nose a second ago.WTF Over? Nice avatar!
Too funny.

My family ate dinner at Ubet's house the other day, and his knives are as sharp as they get. Trust me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am a knife maker and have tried about every approach to skinning this cat that I could find, from stones, diamond stones,to 1x42 belt. There are a hundred ways and as many contraptions out there and most of them work with some practice.

For me I dumped the money on a wicked edge about six months ago and I am loving it. I can finish up a blade and get it scalpel sharp in just a few minutes. It is basically a Lanski on steroids, but is very fast and keeps your edge geometry with adjustable angle for different purposes/blade styles.

Also if anyone is interested there is a hell of a deal on the kit through promotive.com.

Ubet,

almost blew coffee out my nose a second ago.WTF Over? Nice avatar!
Too funny. </div></div>

I saw an ad for wicked edge, if I had the money I would really like to try one..

Most people over sharpen their blades. By this I mean if it gets dull, they grab a stone and grind a new edge. Once the edge is established, it is typically just rolled over during use. A steel will go a long ways to straightening the edge returning the sharp cutting surface you had. I now use a steel regularly and only get the stones out every few months. Even with the wife that does not stop cutting until the edge is halfway through the plate, the knives last much longer by using a steel.

I have used Lansky, Cutco, Chef's Choice, and flat stones. The Chef's Choice works pretty well. I'd like to get an EdgePro system, but I will have to look closer at the Wicked Edge system.

Another thing I have noticed to add onto what hntbambi said, is a chisel ground edge (where their is only one edge, and you just knock the burr off on the flat side) lasts a lot longer, and stays sharper that the normal double bevel edged knives.

When you guys say "steel" what exactly are you talking about? is it those steel rods that you use for sharpening?

I have 2 or 3 of those that ive gotten at garage sales but im not sure how to use them

I use a Warthog V-Sharp Classic. Two minutes and you are done.

Paper wheel on a variable speed grinder with jewelers rouge; then strop block.

I would be leery of sharping a good knife on something with an electric motor/wheel. If you heat that steel up, you can/will change the temper in it, this will lead to inconsistencies in your knife. And can ruin your edge, ask me how I know :(, brand new sog, on a sharpening wheel, 16mths later, it still wont hold an edge. Dont be lazy, find a good stone or lansky type set up, something that is not electric.

Diamond Lansky. I'm sure there are better ways but it works for me.

Sharpmaker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be leery of sharping a good knife on something with an electric motor/wheel. If you heat that steel up, you can/will change the temper in it, this will lead to inconsistencies in your knife. And can ruin your edge, ask me how I know :(, brand new sog, on a sharpening wheel, 16mths later, it still wont hold an edge. Dont be lazy, find a good stone or lansky type set up, something that is not electric. </div></div>

Moderation in all things. Been using the polishing wheel for at least a decade. I make a few passes with the fine stone and a single pass on the polishing wheel and it wipes the hair off your arm. Carried the same Benchmade for seven or eight years now, sharpening every week.

Used to sharpen with Arkansas stone passe on by my grandfather (taught me when I was about ten or so). Always enjoyed it, but as you grow older time seems to compress.

I use a Gatco sharpener http://www.gatcosharpeners.com/product/ceramic/triseps.mgi?mgiToken=41D30B0324BC7B450

It costs about $4-6. I am able to get a blade hair cutting sharp. If I really want to tighten up a blade any finer I use my strait razor hone and hone that and then strop first using a fine paste and then strait leather. Honestly nothing else is needed after using the little Gatco sharpener. It small, fits in a pocket and is damn effective. All these other systems are fine I guess if you want to pay a bunch and tote all that crap around.

I used to work as a sushi chef so we spent a fair bit of time sharpening knives. As for pocket knives, just use something that puts a fresh edge on (when you need it) as opposed just a touch up with a ceramic rod. learning how to use a stone is worth it. The mechanical devices out there are good, but it's still important to know how sharpening works versus honing, etc.

i just sharpen mine on a stone... aslong as i dont let them get too dull a few swipes on each side keeps them nice and sharp.

Sharpmaker is really really good if you're new to sharpening. However, nothing beats a stone and a strop once you're proficient.

I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker a few times a year.

I use the Edge Pro about once a year for sharpening. For touch ups, I use a Sharpmaker with the ultra fine stones.

I am not new to knife sharpening, but could never get it as sharp free hand as I can with a guide.

With the Edge Pro system, I have glass blanks and 6000 grit polishing tape. When I finish sharpening with the Edge Pro, hairs just fall off even with the blade getting no where near my skin. That is scary sharp. Of course, I get them that way once, but I can't maintain them that way the whole year long. It is fun to get a knife that sharp, though.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

Ive been playing around with my Lansky a little bit more and for my cheap pocket knives with the cheap blades i can get them pretty danged sharp (sharp enough for every day tasks around the house or at work, breaking down boxes and opening bags of food)

But for my knives with nicer blades that are a lot tougher (like my one buck knife) i cant get an edge worth a crap. Barely will cut paper does more ripping than cutting. Would this be where a set of diamond stones comes in handy? or a different sharpener altogether?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been playing around with my Lansky a little bit more and for my cheap pocket knives with the cheap blades i can get them pretty danged sharp (sharp enough for every day tasks around the house or at work, breaking down boxes and opening bags of food)

But for my knives with nicer blades that are a lot tougher (like my one buck knife) i cant get an edge worth a crap. Barely will cut paper does more ripping than cutting. Would this be where a set of diamond stones comes in handy? or a different sharpener altogether? </div></div>

Ive noticed some knives liked to be finished certain ways. My wifes' kitchen knives wont take a fine stone, they need to go from a medium to a leather strop. My emmerson wont take a strop, I have to take it to a fine stone 10 passes on the edge (its a chisel ground edge), then the flat side gets run with the edge along a steel to get scary sharp. My esees will sharpen whatever way I feel like molesting them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: littleeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Lansky and then finish with a leather strap.Works fine for my needs. </div></div>

this^ and for convex edges, a flipped over mousepad and 200-800 grit wet or dry sandpaper, sometimes up to 1200 paper if i want a polished edge

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been playing around with my Lansky a little bit more and for my cheap pocket knives with the cheap blades i can get them pretty danged sharp (sharp enough for every day tasks around the house or at work, breaking down boxes and opening bags of food)

But for my knives with nicer blades that are a lot tougher (like my one buck knife) i cant get an edge worth a crap. Barely will cut paper does more ripping than cutting. Would this be where a set of diamond stones comes in handy? or a different sharpener altogether? </div></div>

polish with ceramic after stones and i'll bet you get a damned nice edge

Good thread. I have a Lansky but mainly use diamond stones. Used to sharpen more but now I just keep a diamond stone close by to touch up. The ceramics afterwards help out a bunch.

I used to have to sharpen several knives for hunting trips but now that Havalon knives have come out with the exchangeable scalpel blades, I just carry a few blades and a leatherman. Makes life a lot easier.