• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How do you protect your LPVO?

Odysseus1911

Piled higher and Deeper
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2019
Arkansas
So I ordered a Primary Arms Platinum 1-8 for my 300 blk pistol and wonder how most of you protect the lenses on your LPVOs.

If I only used this as a truck gun/range toy/hunting rifle, Tenebraex flip covers seem like the obvious answer. But I intend for this to pull double duty as a bump-in-the-night home defense gun, so the last thing I want if I'm ever awoken by an intruder is to have to remember to flip the caps open.

As far as I can tell, these are my options:

1) Naked (nothing to get in the way, but no lens protection, either)
2) Normal flip covers (and just make sure they're flipped open before being put next to the bed for night duty)
3) See-through lens caps (obviously would be flipped open for normal day shooting, but should work at CQB range if you forget to flip them open)
4) Protect only the objective lens with an ARD (protects the lens, and is see through, but reduces light transmission ~15%)
5) Protect only the occular lens with either a Tenebraex flip-up see-thru cover (either non-polarized, or polarized -which can have day time utility to reduce glare)
6) An ARD and a see-through (polarizing or non-polarizing) occular lens cover

What do you recommend?

Last edited:
Flip caps or bikini coverr.

If an intruder is in the same house as you, sights are unnecessary. Use the a weapon mounted light to point shoot one handed, and use the other hand to put a finger in your ear nearest the muzzle.

Edit - why are you using a LPVO for home
defense? get an rmr or mro

I second what @E-Tool said. I’ve found that the fiber optic RMRs (to me at least) are the preferred home defense/always on solution.

As far as your original question, I had that same PA Platinum 1-8 about 2 yrs ago and I used the Butler Creek caps with the clear windows. They are cheap ($8-10), so you could fubar a few sets of them and still come out ahead of the cost of tenebrex caps.

The gun is suppressed, but I'm running supers, so around 134-136 dB which should be hearing safe for emergencies.

I went LPVO, because this gun was a jack-of-all-trades build. I want to ring steel to 600 yds, but defend the fort, too.
From the reviews, this particular LPVO has a nuclear bright halo-dot reticle and a generous eyebox, and other owners said it didn't give up much if anything to a red dot. Who knows. I guess I'll find out when it comes in.

Last edited:
You'll get better results I think if you have a second gun that you dedicate to home defense and configure it with a really good large field of view 1x type RDS or similar.

I have one and love it.

BUT for my Home defense gun, I have a different one with an Eotech mounted as it's still a scope and still takes a moment longer to get your sight picture than a large 1x RDS type setup.

Reactions: Odysseus1911
OP I rock a NX8 1-8 on one rifle, and a Razor 1-10 on another. The NX8 sits bedside, but the 1-10 is usually close enough to grab as well when I’m home. Neither rifle wears any lense protection. Both rifles get ran hard and put up wet bouncing around side by sides in west Texas or bouncing around my back with the occasional spill. I haven’t had any issues with either yet, and the NX8 has been on duty for 2+ years. The 1-10 is obviously a bit newer.

I have an NX8 1-8 bedside and it is BY FAR better than an MRO or RMR for close quarters. I was blown away at how much more FOV it has on 1x than my MRO. I don't have any covers on the scope, I actually took the Tennebraex caps off of it. Personally I would just run a bikini cover in the truck and then take it off when it gets home.

Reactions: Odysseus1911