• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing How do you remove epoxy

1more

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
South Bend, Indiana
I purchased a rifle from one of the Hide members that was "professionally" bedded.

The "professional" left a thin film of epoxy on both sides and bottom of the receiver.

The epoxy has been on well over a month. I have tried acetone, goo gone, WD-40 and a release agent for rusted on bolts, they don't seem to help.

What next? Should I heat it up in an oven or freeze it?

I'd like to get rid of the epoxy rather than ship the rifle back.

I appreciate any solutions to get rid of the epoxy

Re: How do you remove epoxy

personally, I'd bake it. Most epoxies start to lose their strength at around 200 degrees.

Epoxy remover is available from places like home depot. It works like paint remover... gob it on, let it set, wipe it off with a paper towell. Won't hurt a blued finish, but I'm not sure I would used it on a "coated" finish.

Thanks for the help. I heated it up and most was able to be scraped off. I may try the epoxy remover on the remaining amounts.

got a pic of this? what the heck was the epoxy used for in bedding?

can you use a propane torch or will that be too hot??

Use a hair dryer, heat gun, or an old iron. An old wood burner or soldering iron can work too. I'd stay away from fire!