• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors How do you sell a suppressor

No. NFA is an extremely niche market to begin with, and used suppressors are going to take a huge hit. The return isn't worth the hassle.

Unless you have it on the form 3 (if you did you probably wouldn't be asking this) or find someone in your state to buy it then you're looking at two stamps. One to a dealer, and then back out again. Nobody is going to want to pay $400 in stamps, plus wait for the time it takes to get two separate stamps approved. That could easily take 1.5-2 years to get your item.

Even if you find someone in your state that wants it so it's just the one stamp, they also have to be ok with giving someone they don't know money for months and months without the item while the stamp is approved. Then you take the hit of selling a used muffler, and you're not getting your stamp back either.

It's not uncommon for people to give dealers suppressors if they're moving to states that don't allow them or leaving the country.

When buying a suppressor you do it right from the get go because you're paying $200 for the privilege of owning it, plus the wait, and you can forget about selling it.

I bought a used can from a friend. Simple form 4 transfer and $200 stamp. Also the usual BGC and wait. I thought it was worth it.

Reactions: Holliday
Oh, it's probably worth it to the buyer, not the seller.

Reactions: AviCado
Right off the top you lose $200 — the tax you paid. Then you’ll sell it for appreciably less than you paid. And if selling out of state you’ll likely have to cover the first stamp.

Only worth it if you’re not permitted to own it anymore, moving to a commie state, etc.

Reactions: northern50
It’s like selling anything else, except cans depreciate ALOT! Several people have already stated, but the tax stamp is gone right from the start. The transfer isn’t hard though, it’s the same as a manufacturer. The can is paid for and the seller ships to the buyers FFL of choice who holds it until the stamp comes in. Used cans seem to go for about 50-60% of new value.

Reactions: Holliday
Yeah, I tried to give a friend a can....turns out its a fricking hassle. It was easier pre ATF gate (could just add someone to your trust from what I've been told), now it requires all the same rigmarole as a standard purchase.

Yeah, I tried to give a friend a can....turns out its a fricking hassle. It was easier pre ATF gate (could just add someone to your trust from what I've been told), now it requires all the same rigmarole as a standard purchase.

If it’s on a trust currently, you can still just add them to the trust. The new 41F only change things during the purchasing process, not the trust amendment process. I file about 100 Form 4’s a year for clients, and it’s not uncommon for people to amend their trusts after a form has been approved.

It’s like selling anything else, except cans depreciate ALOT! Several people have already stated, but the tax stamp is gone right from the start. The transfer isn’t hard though, it’s the same as a manufacturer. The can is paid for and the seller ships to the buyers FFL of choice who holds it until the stamp comes in. Used cans seem to go for about 50-60% of new value.

Since you're referring to shipping, I'm thinking you are talking about selling to someone out of state. As you're also talking about a used suppressor, it can't just be Form 3'd to a FFL/SOT any more. It isn't just a simple matter of "seller ships to the buyer's FFL". The seller must Form4 the can to an FFL (including stamp cost and wait time like any other Form 4) and then that FFL will Form 4 it to the purchaser (again with stamp cost & wait time). So, for out of state, there are 2 stamps to pay for and 2x the Form 4 wait time. The seller having to pay for that first $200 stamp all but makes the sale worthless. Unless you're somehow talking about a $1k purchase price, you lose a large % of selling price just with that stamp cost.

If you're selling in state then it's only 1 Form 4 (from current owner to new owner, not SOT involved) and it's associated cost & wait time.

If it’s on a trust currently, you can still just add them to the trust. The new 41F only change things during the purchasing process, not the trust amendment process. I file about 100 Form 4’s a year for clients, and it’s not uncommon for people to amend their trusts after a form has been approved.

Guess that would also depend on if other items were in the trust. And, is that person trusted enough that they won't do anything stupid. I would think that anyone on the trust could be liable for any actions taken by another in the trust with the item.

Reactions: Alamo
I'm puzzled by this whole "not worth it" thing. If you have a can that is great quality, say an ultra 9 but decide you no longer use it, it still has value. So if you sell the can for half what you paid for it, you are getting a "typical" price for a used item. You are also are getting cash back out of something you no longer have need for (hypothetically speaking). So basically you "rented" it for the duration of the time you owned/used it, for half its value.

If it is in great shape the person who buys it really isn't going to know the difference, when it is screwed to the rifle. So he saved half the price of a new one.

Yea there is the transfer fee and time. So it sounds like the smart money is on selling it within your state to simplify that but it is the same as buying new. $200 & 9 months.....Not unlike buying a car and doing title and registration transfers (except more time and paperwork).

I still see this as a win win not unlike any other used sale/purchase.....

Reactions: Squat
I'm puzzled by this whole "not worth it" thing. If you have a can that is great quality, say an ultra 9 but decide you no longer use it, it still has value. So if you sell the can for half what you paid for it, you are getting a "typical" price for a used item.....

It's not so much that it is not worth it monetarily as when you consider the loss, the time and paperwork etc......most people (myself included) just say "I'd rather just keep it and buy a new one."

I've had a spare suppressor come in pretty handy more than once.....and I'm positive i'm not alone in that boat.

Oh man....where were you 4 months ago......

I was told that to add them to the trust at this point would require they get fingerprinted, back ground check etc......

*smh*

We really need to do away with the ATF all together.

Selling suppressors is a huge hassle. Heck, buying one from a dealer is a huge hassle.
I don't like to take a beating selling so I tend to not sell guns either.

It's not so much that it is not worth it monetarily as when you consider the loss, the time and paperwork etc......most people (myself included) just say "I'd rather just keep it and buy a new one."

I've had a spare suppressor come in pretty handy more than once.....and I'm positive i'm not alone in that boat.

My senerio was predicated on the fact that the person selling had already decided to sell. Your rebuttle ignores that. Furthermore you are no more “most people” than I am. At least there is no data to support that. Nor does your version account for varying economic positions of the parties involved. The fact that the seller takes a loss is nothing new. This is almost alway a given with used items.

Some need to recoup funds they have tied up in something that they are not using and some could care less. By way of example; I paid for a Gen II Razor 4-27 that I could not afford by selling gear that I would certainly have found a use for one day. I took a loss and looked at it that I “rented” that gear until I had another need/want.

My point stands. There is value for both parties and both parties can benefit from the sale of a suppressor, not unlike other used purchases. Of course this requires people and the product fitting into perimeters that I clearly laid out. Yes, yes, yes, if you change those perimeters, of course this changes the value equation.

My senerio was predicated on the fact that the person selling had already decided to sell. Your rebuttle ignores that. Furthermore you are no more “most people” than I am. At least there is no data to support that. Nor does your version account for varying economic positions of the parties involved. The fact that the seller takes a loss is nothing new. This is almost alway a given with used items.

Some need to recoup funds they have tied up in something that they are not using and some could care less. By way of example; I paid for a Gen II Razor 4-27 that I could not afford by selling gear that I would certainly have found a use for one day. I took a loss and looked at it that I “rented” that gear until I had another need/want.

My point stands. There is value for both parties and both parties can benefit from the sale of a suppressor, not unlike other used purchases. Of course this requires people and the product fitting into perimeters that I clearly laid out. Yes, yes, yes, if you change those perimeters, of course this changes the value equation.

1st, whoah. You weren't fucking around, I didn't realize this was serious business. We get it bro, you're edumucated.

I was only <insert half a dozen SAT words here> <witty reply> <something something something law school> ok?

My point was just that as a rule of thumb (I can feel you cringing) most guys buying suppressors/race cars/high end guns/cameras/quads/bikes/boats/night vision/toys over 1k ,2k, 20k bucks etc have their financial house in order to the point that a 1k purchase doesn't require recouping the last 1k purchase....

It didn't mean you're wrong, you're just talking about a different group with different priorities. I mean you're basically arguing scarcity, and you're right, the more you want something and the less you're able to get it the more intangible hassle you're wiling to go through, or the more you're willing to take a loss for a W. I think we all get that.

Has nothing to do pre contract obligation, or data set. Just that for some, like Bill Gates (yes, I'm exactly like Bill Gates) losing money stopping to pick up up a Benji, you get to a point where its just not worth the hassle, the loss OR the time....and really, if this thread is a sample, we have:

6 hell no's
1 we can say is offering a perspective on the severity of the screwing the seller takes, but could also easily be in the Hell no
1 who offered a way to recoup 30 bucks on the stamp (which could also easily be a hell no imho)

and 1 confused about the "worth it" thing.

Maybe you can make up a hypothetical sample size that I don't have access to, with results that can be pretty much as concrete/nebulous/inconclusive as you needed so that no matter what I'd be wrong....but the sample size I'm referring to when I say "most people," meaning everyone in this thread (myself included). Of those polled, we at least gotta admit, the results are in.

Speaking of not stopping to pick up a Benjamin, I'm pretty sure we're both losing time and money on this one....