• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How good can you shoot CCI SV?

One good group out of 20! Why would you want to buy more of it? For 50 yd groups it doesn't look that good to me. It has vertical & horizonal spread and flyers. Thats why I don't waste my money and time on crap ammo. What is it good for? You can't tune with it. You can't practice shooting techniques with it and you surely don't want to use it in competition due to its lack of consistency. You never know if it's you the gun or the ammo! It does work for steel challenge where sub moa accuracy is not necessary .and for making beer cans jump around.
It shoots better in two of my CZ’s than it does in the B14R. The original post was just to illustrate how deceiving one group can be. I have won matches (in ARA Factory class) with high aggs this year using Center X that averaged in the low 3’s while shooting groups. I did this just playing around. Both targets were shot going as fast as I could go (less than Five minutes) without shooting any sighters. I was just holding according to what the flags were saying and not confirming with sighters. I probably could have shot a perfect card with the B14R too, but I learned quickly on the first row that I was holding too far off for wind.

The Midas on the last pic was an untested lot I recently bought for a good deal the same day I bought the B14. Notice how closely it shot with the SK Semi-Auto through the CZ. This isn’t even my best shooting CZ I was just using it for comparison with the new B14R since they are set up similarly.

Long story short, although I now have a couple good cases of CenterX there might come a time next season that I’ll be forced to shoot the SK Semi Auto in matches what with the way Ammo availability is getting.

B6A56562-49BF-40E3-B15D-4A4478D6D0C5.jpeg

87F59218-2F59-475B-89C6-7340F56BFE06.jpeg

D88330F9-AEB4-435F-8254-5856E217A6D4.jpeg

Last edited:
I have decided that 22 LR is a fickle lady with any brand. Years ago I upgraded an old 10/22 that wasn't worth taking out of the closet in stock form. I replaced the barrel with a Green Mountain 20" .920 barrel, slicked up the trigger parts with stones made for that purpose, added trigger springs from JP Power Custom, made a new stock, and then epoxy bedded the action and 2 inches of the barrel. Then I started playing with the lower priced ammo choices. What is the smallest group that rifle has ever fired? 5 shots at 50 yards on a very early summer morning with no wind gave me a group of slightly less than 1/8". That isn't a misprint. I have that part of the target pasted on the shelf over my loading bench. What ammo you ask? Remington Golden Bullets, the most maligned of any 22 ammo made. Did I ever come close to that again? Of course not and I never expected to. The sun, moon, and stars all aligned for an instant for me was all.

I have made more upgrades and it is pretty accurate when you hit on a lot of ammo that it likes. The catch is the next batch may be inferior and that goes for any brand of ammo I have shot. Hit the jackpot on ammo? Just enjoy it and hope you can repete it in the future.

Reactions: FuhQ
I have decided that 22 LR is a fickle lady with any brand. Years ago I upgraded an old 10/22 that wasn't worth taking out of the closet in stock form. I replaced the barrel with a Green Mountain 20" .920 barrel, slicked up the trigger parts with stones made for that purpose, added trigger springs from JP Power Custom, made a new stock, and then epoxy bedded the action and 2 inches of the barrel. Then I started playing with the lower priced ammo choices. What is the smallest group that rifle has ever fired? 5 shots at 50 yards on a very early summer morning with no wind gave me a group of slightly less than 1/8". That isn't a misprint. I have that part of the target pasted on the shelf over my loading bench. What ammo you ask? Remington Golden Bullets, the most maligned of any 22 ammo made. Did I ever come close to that again? Of course not and I never expected to. The sun, moon, and stars all aligned for an instant for me was all.

I have made more upgrades and it is pretty accurate when you hit on a lot of ammo that it likes. The catch is the next batch may be inferior and that goes for any brand of ammo I have shot. Hit the jackpot on ammo? Just enjoy it and hope you can repete it in the future.
Same conclusion I've come to. 👍🏼

There are so many threads about CCI-SV, mostly complaining about it from people that don't have the skills to do better with true match grade ammo. If'n you're shooting a Walmart* grade gun, Eley Tenex or Lapua X-whatever isn't going to put you on the podium.

*yes, I consider CZ Walmart grade...fight me.

• Wow
Reactions: Jgunner and FuhQ
I picked up a CZ rifle at EuroOptics this passed Saturday. The bolt felt like the rifle had been laying on the beach, in salt water and sand rubbed in. I was surprised a place like EO would even put it on the rack, it was that bad.

I picked up a CZ rifle at EuroOptics this passed Saturday. The bolt felt like the rifle had been laying on the beach, in salt water and sand rubbed in. I was surprised a place like EO would even put it on the rack, it was that bad.
I doubt EuroOptic ever opened the box.

My tikka shot an average of 0.42in for five 5 shot groups at 50 yards with CCI SV.

There are so many threads about CCI-SV, mostly complaining about it from people that don't have the skills to do better with true match grade ammo. If'n you're shooting a Walmart* grade gun, Eley Tenex or Lapua X-whatever isn't going to put you on the podium.

*yes, I consider CZ Walmart grade...fight me.
I gripe about CCI, for decades I wouldn’t purchase it because every time I tested the “darling of rimfire gun writer’s ammo”, the crap fell on it’s face.
The ammo crunch screws us all, and I ended up purchasing 3 cases over the last few years as it’s gentle in my older handguns and is squirrel accurate at squirrel ranges. In my Bergara and CZ it isn’t bad at 100, in a couple of 40Xs it’s alright out to a 200-400yd steel test. Do I trust it for matches? Fortunately I haven’t been pressed to that step yet.

As for CZ quality? I’ve owned multiple examples of the 452, and consider them excellent rifles.
The 455, only had access to two examples, consider them an insult to the 452 lineage.
The 457? Traded into one that sat on a LGS shelf since they opened, it shows surprisingly good promise.
I don’t think you can fairly judge the CZ of 15 years ago to what you see today, you owe yourself the experience of say- a 452-453 American, it will surprise and sadden you to see what they have become now. Every rimfire rifleman deserves to experience a 452 at some point in their shooting life.
Gary Anderson photo:
501BA21C-9205-48B6-8033-795F1AB7F000.jpeg

Reactions: Appalachian
I gripe about CCI, for decades I wouldn’t purchase it because every time I tested the “darling of rimfire gun writer’s ammo”, the crap fell on it’s face.
The ammo crunch screws us all, and I ended up purchasing 3 cases over the last few years as it’s gentle in my older handguns and is squirrel accurate at squirrel ranges. In my Bergara and CZ it isn’t bad at 100, in a couple of 40Xs it’s alright out to a 200-400yd steel test. Do I trust it for matches? Fortunately I haven’t been pressed to that step yet.

As for CZ quality? I’ve owned multiple examples of the 452, and consider them excellent rifles.
The 455, only had access to two examples, consider them an insult to the 452 lineage.
The 457? Traded into one that sat on a LGS shelf since they opened, it shows surprisingly good promise.
I don’t think you can fairly judge the CZ of 15 years ago to what you see today, you owe yourself the experience of say- a 452-453 American, it will surprise and sadden you to see what they have become now. Every rimfire rifleman deserves to experience a 452 at some point in their shooting life.
Gary Anderson photo:
View attachment 8000891
60 replies to the OP and my opinion of CCI SV hasn't changed one bit! It has it's place but not in my guns nor anyone else's if they're trying to find consistent accuracy. Only three choices. Eley, Lapua and RWS and you still need to lot test.

The better your firearm is; the better the ammo you should be feeding it.

That said, I've gone though cases and cases of CCI-SV. For the price point...at least a few years ago, it was well worth the cost for the performance. "Fliers", yes. CCI-SV used to be $24/brick...SK+ was $40/brick...SKRM was $65/brick. I don't remember what the "good" stuff cost back then; I was still a poor.

Would I put it in my Vudoo? Nope...however I've watched some videos of folks using CCI-SV in their Vudoo rifles, and it does fine for practice, I doubt they would ever use it in a match.

It's very good plinking ammo, and at best, practice ammo. When you have a rifle better than a CZ 457*, it deserves good stuff.

*457, was intentional...I've already heard 452 are good. I skipped over that step and went Anschutz with a 1416AV, 1712AV, 1712 Silhouette...Those aren't going anywhere.

I have been more unfortunate in that none of my rifles like CCI SV very much. They tend to prefer Norma TAC 22 to varying degrees. Having found that out, I rarely use them in rifles now and just shoot match ammo in my Vudoo and Suhl and Norma plus match ammo in my CZ. At any rate, the case of Norma I bought was dirt cheap, cheaper than anything I've paid for CCI. The bricks of CCI SV I have (about 3 different lots) are relegated to pistol duty.

"My rifle likes" is an internet obfuscation.
It's a throwaway comment that translates to:
Hey, I had a couple random acts of accuracy that stick in my memory.
How can I say that? Easy, no rifle can fix crap ammo.
Cartridge problems cause unpredictable trajectories.
Velocity differences shot to shot cause vertical spread.
Even junk ammo can hit center if you get close enough, right?
Just ignore the powder burns on y'er targets. ;)

To produce consistent accuracy, you need tight muzzle velocities
and a minimum of factory caused cartridge defects. That's what rifles "like".
Finding well made ammunition is the objective. Brand name is no guarantee. :(

Reactions: RTH1800
Well, if you insist I will translate. None of the boxes of CCI SV I've shot were consistent. In contrast, the groups with Norma TAC 22 were tighter and I've scored in the high 240s shooting an IR 50 target with other types of ammo from Norma and better with RWS, Eley, Sk, and Lapua. Mostly price correlated somewhat but imperfectly with quality. And match ammo like Tenex would do very well with some guns and not others. So it's not just the ammo. It's how the ammo suits the gun. To say that rifles automatically like quality ammo is in my experience untrue.

But YMMV.

Quality has nothing to do with the name on the label.
I've had Tenex sling strays and show velocity spread of 80 fps.
I've had CCI SV punch less than 0.35 inch from center for a full box of 50 at 50 yards.
Results differ not due to rifle preference by brand,
but due to variations in cartridge manufacture.
Can a rifle compensate for differences in bullet shape/seating?
Can a a rifle alleviate powder/primer variations in amount or chemistry?
Can a rifle repair bullet damage caused by rough handling on the assembly line?
Uniformity of velocity and bullet symmetry are required to produce predictable trajectories.
Rifles require tight muzzle velocities and well made cartridges.
Anything else and you get trajectory spread.
When testing ammunition, shoot for score.
The question to be answered is: Can you hit what you aim at?
The better the results, the better the quality of the ammunition.
That should be the basis of comparison, not random acts of accuracy.

10-shot group from today with my Ranger 22, Mask HD, and CCI SV. Not my best, but it’s not bad, considering the fact I’m using bulk ammo.

F68A1264-B157-45E8-A4B4-F86C9394AAA8.jpeg

"My rifle likes" is an internet obfuscation.
It's a throwaway comment that translates to:
Hey, I had a couple random acts of accuracy that stick in my memory.
How can I say that? Easy, no rifle can fix crap ammo.
Cartridge problems cause unpredictable trajectories.
Velocity differences shot to shot cause vertical spread.
Even junk ammo can hit center if you get close enough, right?
Just ignore the powder burns on y'er targets. ;)

To produce consistent accuracy, you need tight muzzle velocities
and a minimum of factory caused cartridge defects. That's what rifles "like".
Finding well made ammunition is the objective. Brand name is no guarantee. :(
You and have been saying this for years. No idea if anyone has heard us.

In my mind I picture a young shooter with hope in his soul standing in line at Walmart holding 6 different brands of bulk ammo wondering which one will be golden.

It all comes down to the low hole in the bucket. Water level cannot rise above it. Plug the low hole first and move up.

I know this because I was that kid. Ruger 10/22, Winchester Wildcat ammo. “Look, these 3 touched”

Yes we have RT. Too many occasions when the claim doesn't match the reality.
Easy to disprove if you take the time and base y'er conclusion on results, long term.
I learned it was less than factual many years ago. I had worked my way through
a variety of mid-grade 22lr and lucked out with a brick of Wolf Match Extra, Lapua made.
I found "the brand my rifle liked", no doubt. Every box was putting 5 on center at 100 yards.
Target after target of moa and sub-moa groups on the bullseye every time.
So being a semi-intelligent bipedal hominid, bought another 2 bricks.
Turned out to be a crushing disappointment. The original brick could do no wrong.
The next 2 Wolf ME couldn't match the results of the first. Vertical spread due to velocity differences
and odd strays left and right of center that annoyed the heck out of me.
It wasn't the "brand" my rifle "liked", it was all about the quality of the cartridges from that first brick.
I found that it didn't matter which name was on the label, only the uniformity/quality of the cartridges.
I've had bulk 22lr throw some surprisingly good groups on center and high end RWS, Lapua and Eley spit strays.
It's the luck of the assembly line lottery. Some batches are great, some reek. :(

Reactions: Schütze and obx22
Quality has nothing to do with the name on the label.
I've had Tenex sling strays and show velocity spread of 80 fps.
I've had CCI SV punch less than 0.35 inch from center for a full box of 50 at 50 yards.
Results differ not due to rifle preference by brand,
but due to variations in cartridge manufacture.
Can a rifle compensate for differences in bullet shape/seating?
Can a a rifle alleviate powder/primer variations in amount or chemistry?
Can a rifle repair bullet damage caused by rough handling on the assembly line?
Uniformity of velocity and bullet symmetry are required to produce predictable trajectories.
Rifles require tight muzzle velocities and well made cartridges.
Anything else and you get trajectory spread.
When testing ammunition, shoot for score.
The question to be answered is: Can you hit what you aim at?
The better the results, the better the quality of the ammunition.
That should be the basis of comparison, not random acts of accuracy.
i totally agree with everything you say with the exception of your first sentence," Quality has nothing to do with the name on the label". It certainly does in todays remfire world. Lapua, Eley and RWS are the only companies producing Ammo that is worthy of the term "match grade". I will add that just because it's produced by one of these companies doesn't necessarily mean it's going to shoot great in your gun ,but your odds of finding consistent accuracy are far greater with these 3 companies than anything else produced today.

I hear ya' LS.

I'm just a bit bummed due to my last delivered brick of Tenex.
Either I was a loser on the assembly line lottery,
or this batch was shipped over in a container on the deck of a slow freighter.
Heat may have caused some problems.
80 fps ES on the chronograph and a few fail to fires.
Pulled the ftf's apart and the primer is mixed loose in the powder.
The brand name on the label is not a guarantee of good results. :(

Reactions: Jgunner
Date code is 2020 production, RT.
Might be old stock finally pulled out of the warehouse.
No telling where or how it was stored.
But it may have been on that freighter a long time,
waiting to be offloaded during COVID lockdowns.

Date code is 2020 production, RT.
Might be old stock finally pulled out of the warehouse.
No telling where or how it was stored.
But it may have been on that freighter a long time,
waiting to be offloaded during COVID lockdowns.
I hear ya' LS.

I'm just a bit bummed due to my last delivered brick of Tenex.
Either I was a loser on the assembly line lottery,
or this batch was shipped over in a container on the deck of a slow freighter.
Heat may have caused some problems.
80 fps ES on the chronograph and a few fail to fires.
Pulled the ftf's apart and the primer is mixed loose in the powder.
The brand name on the label is not a guarantee of good results. :(
Not the first time I've heard of this happening. I only buy Eley from Killoughs. Eley's latest production runs. Never had that kind of problems with Killoughs ammo.

Been meaning to contribute to this thread for a bit. I’ve got a lot of CCI SV that isn’t too bad.

I shot (2) USBR Targets today with CCI SV Lot # K27CA01.
Shot @ 50 Yards - Bipod on Bench (Forgot Rear Bag today, used Sling Tab)

Chrono Data:
63*F / 28.84 inHg SP / 37% RH / 1061 FT DA
99 Shots
Average: 1064
Max: 1115
Min: 1023
ES: 92
SD 14.7

Actual Shooting Conditions Today:
34*F / 29.24 inHg SP / 36% RH / -875 FT DA

Target #1 I rushed. I shot (3) 5 Shot Groups on the sighters up top.
65028DA6-1A6D-4CFB-AF94-839674D33094.jpeg

Target #2 I shot (3) 5 Shot Groups again at the slighters on top then added 0.2 Mils Right. I paced myself more with this target but was still moving quickly between wind / temps.
24719DF7-6B75-444C-BC49-63B85C2F8F71.jpeg

For comparison here are (2) USBR Targets with Lapua Center X Lot # 27551 503876
Shot @ 50 Yards - Bipod and Rear Bag on Bench

Chrono Data:
37*F / 29.29 inHg SP / 44% RH / -714 FT DA
47 Shots
Average: 1064
Max: 1115
Min: 1023
ES: 92
SD 14.7

Actual Shooting Conditions Today: