• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How good is the Vortex Fury 5000 AB?

heathtx

I Hit some, I miss some
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
For deer/elk hunting and shooting the occasional rifle match.

Do you need a Kestrel to use it?

I can get a good deal on a Fury 5000 AB model

You dont need a kestrel, the AB engine is internal.

Glass is decent for the money and you get an idiot proof setup. Eye cups on mine have broken twice now from falls… def a weak point.

Laser is reliable out to 1.3-1.4kyds. On super rainy conditions it will range out to 1.2k

The sigs 10ks a def a step above in ranging reliability. They have a very distinct blue hint to the glass but the laser is a step above the one on the Fury AB

I can get a new pair for $1,400, are there any other smoking deals out there?

They can be had for less, but not much less new. They haven't been available new for a year or two.

I can get a new pair for $1,400, are there any other smoking deals out there?

Go below and put it in your cart.

Reactions: black5.3
I got mine for just under $1300. I’m impressed with them. I work for my county, outdoors and have them with me today, I went up on a hill and was able to see and range the construction equipment at 800 yards, I could see the guys perfectly sitting in the equipment. I’ve only used these and the sig 3000, but the glass is super nice.
I was able to hit the top of a cell tower at 1537 yards with ease.

Used mine to range and make a first round kill on a deer at 1004y. Have ranged road signs out to 3000y with them. Honestly worth every penny I spent on them.

I have the Vortex Fury 5000AB model. I got to compare it (on the side of a mountain) with one of the newer SIG laser / ballistic binos...don't remember the exact model number and some older Swaros range finding only binoculars.

We (the SIG's owner) both agreed that the glass on the Vortex was much nicer; clearer and better color, much better for looking for game animals in the field. The SIGs were darker, bluish tinted, and seemed much less clear. Not good for looking for animals. My boss has some older Swarovski binoculars and the glass is much better than the Fury's, as is to be expected. I don't know if it was 3x the cost better though.

The SIG's laser was much more powerful, no comparison. He had it set on half power and we were still ranging things farther away with the SIG. But, how far do you really need to range things??? The Fury's had no problem ranging trees at 1800-2000 yards. The Swaro's laser worked great, but not any noticeably better than the Fury and maybe not as well...

The SIG has all their data on one screen; e.g. no switching between two screens like the Fury, and the SIG seemed to be faster. We really liked that. The SIG could store a whole lot more rifle profiles, but that seemed overkill and potentially confusing in field use.

I am happy with the Fury's for looking for game animals AND shooting. On another day, I was able to spot elk at about 3 miles away with the Fury's. I could even tell there were antlers when light and profile was just right... If it is purely for shooting, and at really long range, you might want the SIG. I just wish all the data was on one screen, and it didn't take 15 seconds to disappear.

Reactions: Snapper314
I have the Vortex Fury 5000AB model. I got to compare it (on the side of a mountain) with one of the newer SIG laser / ballistic binos...don't remember the exact model number and some older Swaros range finding only binoculars.

We (the SIG's owner) both agreed that the glass on the Vortex was much nicer; clearer and better color, much better for looking for game animals in the field. The SIGs were darker, bluish tinted, and seemed much less clear. Not good for looking for animals. My boss has some older Swarovski binoculars and the glass is much better than the Fury's, as is to be expected. I don't know if it was 3x the cost better though.

The SIG's laser was much more powerful, no comparison. He had it set on half power and we were still ranging things farther away with the SIG. But, how far do you really need to range things??? The Fury's had no problem ranging trees at 1800-2000 yards. The Swaro's laser worked great, but not any noticeably better than the Fury and maybe not as well...

The SIG has all their data on one screen; e.g. no switching between two screens like the Fury, and the SIG seemed to be faster. We really liked that. The SIG could store a whole lot more rifle profiles, but that seemed overkill and potentially confusing in field use.

I am happy with the Fury's for looking for game animals AND shooting. On another day, I was able to spot elk at about 3 miles away with the Fury's. I could even tell there were antlers when light and profile was just right... If it is purely for shooting, and at really long range, you might want the SIG. I just wish all the data was on one screen, and it didn't take 15 seconds to disappear.
I was thinking the same thing, on how far do you need to range something.

The fact that you can hit a deer with these at 1600-1800 yards is awesome... who's shooting a deer at a mile?

Ive only shot plates out to 1200, so as long as I can range something in that 1300-1600 range, I think itll do more than Ill ever shoot at.

Used my Fury AB's on a 9 day whitetail hunt that consisted of open to semi-open country, down to low visibility creek bottoms. I was surprised how well they performed optically, as they got me to legal shooting light easily, and could identify and count points even in the creekbottoms at that time. I lasered hills, rocks, tanks out to 3800 yds, and it ranged deer, bushes, etc easily out past 1000 and never missed a reading. I was skeptical going into the hunt, but came away very well pleased. I also had my swaro SLC's which are quite a bit better optically, obviously.

I honestly think vortex shit the bed on these. You need your phone to look at your AB data. If you want to get Binos like these look at the SIG SAUR option. It gives you all your AB data in the lens when your range. They also come with a wind meter. Much more practical than the vortex.

• Sad
Reactions: Jmccracken1214
I honestly think vortex shit the bed on these. You need your phone to look at your AB data. If you want to get Binos like these look at the SIG SAUR option. It gives you all your AB data in the lens when your range. They also come with a wind meter. Much more practical than the vortex.
What do you mean? My fury’s show me the temp, pressure, and my adjustments in the lense when I range something…

If I already have a kestrel would it still make sense to get the ab binos or just go with the lrf only and kestrel combo ?

If I already have a kestrel would it still make sense to get the ab binos or just go with the lrf only and kestrel combo ?
This is a question I keep asking myself. It seems everything is a compromise. The RF binos with AB (Fury's, 10K) offer a great compromise. But you don't get all of the utilities of a Kestrel solution.

Major 1st world problems.

Reactions: XP1K