• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors How hard to get a Rocksett muzzle brake off?

Re: How hard to get a Rocksett muzzle brake off?

get a small torch and heat it up. When it starts to smoke you need to get the wrench on it. You will need to have whatever it is that your taking the break off of is in an action vise.... when you see the smoke, thats the rocksett burning.

Other option is soak it in warm soapy water for awhile. I hear that will break it down.
The small torch has always worked for me.

and keep the torch moving around the barrel so the heat is equally distributed. let it cool naturally(air)DO NOT QUENCH in water/oil.

yes evenly distribute the heat on the break, but turn it off while its hot. Wear gloves or be mindful of the heat. And BEFORE you put your new break on let the barrel cool off with time. It will be hot.

Before you put a different brake on the barrel make sure to clean the Rocksett off the threads otherwise you'll have to do this all over again. BTDT.

Have you tried just unscrewing it? Rocksett has the breaking strength of blue Loctite, which isn't all that hard to unscrew.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you tried just unscrewing it? Rocksett has the breaking strength of blue Loctite, which isn't all that hard to unscrew.

</div></div>

No it doesn't! Blue loctite is rated for medium strength. Green would be the lightest hold, and red being the strongest off the shelf stuff. You can go higher but have to buy in commercial quantities to get it.

Rocksett is labeled as permanent hold.... unless you use the heat to break it down.

Actually heat is not the way to go thats why they use it for brakes and for cans.Soak it in water over night and you can screw it right off.Do it quick though because you dont have long to do it

As far as green loctite it is stronger then blue it is rated medium to high strength.It is a thinner formula so it can be applied to already assembled componets.It is designed to creep into the threads.

I guess I'm just a gorilla, because I do it all the time.

The advantage of Rocksett over Loctite is the temperature resistance, hence the reason it is used for high-temp applications. The breaking strength is about the same as Loctite 242 (blue)

Purple Loctite (222MS) is actually the lowest breaking strength.

18" breaker bar and a muzzlebrake wrench and a little testicular fortitude!!! WTF sissy's

I took the AAC brake off my 10.5" SBR upper about a week ago. I have taken off muzzle breaks a dozen times that were put on with everything from red loctite, loctite mechanical paste, rocksett, and metal to metal epoxy.....

Everytime I need to take them off I chuck them up in a vise, hit them with some evenly distributed heat, and pry them off with a open end wrench and 6" SnapOn breaker bar.

Hasn't failed me yet

I've taken off 10-15 Rocksetted flash hiders. I just use a wrench. I don't know where it gets the reputation it has for high breaking strength. You don't need any heat at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boomfab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've taken off 10-15 Rocksetted flash hiders. I just use a wrench. I don't know where it gets the reputation it has for high breaking strength. You don't need any heat at all. </div></div>

A lot of people will install brakes & flash suppressors with copious amounts of Rocksett and then the way over-torque the mount. I've seen some mounts on so tight that the flats were stripped before the mount would budge and then the mount had to be cut off the barrel. I've actually seen quite a few like that.

If installed properly, a brake with Rocksett will come back off. I've removed a lot of them with nothing more than a wrench, good vice and the occasional curse word. In a few cases I've used a cheater bar.

A lot of people do use to much Rocksett on their brakes and over torque. Bookhound is spot on with that. I have removed many a muzzle devices for friends, family, coworkers that are literally dripping (well, at one time) with rocksett. Easiest way to get it off is a good vise, wrench and a small propane torch. It will spin right off. Take your time and do NOT strip the muzzle brakes flats.

To me the easiest way is following directions per manufacturer and set in water overnight! If you are able to take it off w/ out water,you aren't coating the inside of the brake where it meets the barrel to stop moisture and so forth. Ofcourse this applies to designs that overlap barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boomfab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've taken off 10-15 Rocksetted flash hiders. I just use a wrench. I don't know where it gets the reputation it has for high breaking strength. You don't need any heat at all. </div></div>

A lot of people will install brakes & flash suppressors with copious amounts of Rocksett and then the way over-torque the mount. I've seen some mounts on so tight that the flats were stripped before the mount would budge and then the mount had to be cut off the barrel. I've actually seen quite a few like that.

If installed properly, a brake with Rocksett will come back off. I've removed a lot of them with nothing more than a wrench, good vice and the occasional curse word. In a few cases I've used a cheater bar.

</div></div>

Marky, YOU installed mine, if it ever has to come off YOU get to do it.

No need for special adhesives for a permanent hold, just put some medium lapping compound on the threads and screw on your piece.

Trust me on this as I have witnessed the entire threaded portion of muzzle being snapped off trying to get it off.

Had the barrel in a large vise and was using a 4' breaker bar with all the ass Jered could muster, which is quite a bit of ass....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me the easiest way is following directions per manufacturer and set in water overnight! If you are able to take it off w/ out water,you aren't coating the inside of the brake where it meets the barrel to stop moisture and so forth. Ofcourse this applies to designs that overlap barrels. </div></div>

Directions per Rocksett bottle are to clean muzzle threads and brake of any grease or oils. Then apply 2 drops on opposite sides of each other on the muzzle threads. Let sit for 24hrs before use.

I'd rather listen to the brake manufacturers recommendation!!!Just curious did they mention how to remove it???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Harvey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No need for special adhesives for a permanent hold, just put some medium lapping compound on the threads and screw on your piece.

Trust me on this as I have witnessed the entire threaded portion of muzzle being snapped off trying to get it off.

Had the barrel in a large vise and was using a 4' breaker bar with all the ass Jered could muster, which is quite a bit of ass.... </div></div>

So you want to use something that will snap off your threads if you need to remove it??

I found myself in need of removing a QD adapter that was mounted with Rocksett. Once again, a search of this forum resulted in the answer I needed. I was not in a hurry, so I went with the "soak overnight" method, with outstanding results. If I was pressed for time, I would have used KYS' torch method, but resting muzzle down in my "weekend car washing" bucket of hot water and a squirt of Dawn overnight yielded good results. Upon removing from the water first thing this morning, I was easily able to remove the QD with little force.

Thanks go to those that continue to post good info.

Reactions: PuddlePirate119

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Harvey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No need for special adhesives for a permanent hold, just put some medium lapping compound on the threads and screw on your piece.

Had the barrel in a large vise and was using a 4' breaker bar with all the ass Jered could muster, which is quite a bit of ass.... </div></div>

So you want to use something that will snap off your threads if you need to remove it?? </div></div>

If you are strong enough to break the threaded portion off your barrel with your hands then you a either 1) really fat and are putting all your weight on it, or 2) stronger then a silver back gorilla, and I suggest you enter in some strongman comps!

That metal is not going anywhere. Use some heat or let it soak in hot soapy water.

This worked for me earlier this week. I soaked mine in hot tap water for about 30-40 min. Then, took a hammer and hit (short smack) the brake at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock. I used a 8" wrench and it came of easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Harvey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No need for special adhesives for a permanent hold, just put some medium lapping compound on the threads and screw on your piece.

So you want to use something that will snap off your threads if you need to remove it?? </div></div>

If you are strong enough to break the threaded portion off your barrel with your hands then you a either 1) really fat and are putting all your weight on it, or 2) stronger then a silver back gorilla, and I suggest you enter in some strongman comps!

That metal is not going anywhere. Use some heat or let it soak in hot soapy water. </div></div>

I actually did snap off some 5/8 x 24 threads. I will say it wasn't easy. One of the guys from the AMU was here when I did it.