• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How heavy is too heavy???

Rebel

Minuteman
Dec 12, 2013
East Tennesse
After taking my 700 adl to the range a handful of times, I've really started to think about my trigger. It is by no means light, and I dont think its helping me shoot precisely. I've read that theoretically a heavy trigger shouldn't matter with good form. Is this something that is a form issue? Or would it be helped with a good aftermarket trigger? The trigger on my 700 is the non adjustable xmark. Not sure the exact pull weight, I dont have a gauge. Any helps appreciated!

From my understanding as a beginner, Technically if your trigger pull is consistent from shot to shot it shouldn't matter. Now from what I hear about remington x mark triggers is that some have a heavy pull and some are light. (Quality control issue? Mine came pretty dam light and is perfect for me). A lot of people swap that trigger out and put too light of a trigger pull which may mask the problem of getting a good consistent feel. 2-2.5 lbs seems about right for a tactical/hunting application while bench rest shooter go to a 1lb or even a few ounces. If your looking for an aftermarket trigger i hear good things about huber 2 stage trigger. Jewel is a highly recommended trigger also along with timney. But there may or may not be an issue with jewels getting fudged in the field.

From my understanding as a beginner, Technically if your trigger pull is consistent from shot to shot it shouldn't matter. Now from what I hear about remington x mark triggers is that some have a heavy pull and some are light. (Quality control issue? Mine came pretty dam light and is perfect for me). A lot of people swap that trigger out and put too light of a trigger pull which may mask the problem of getting a good consistent feel. 2-2.5 lbs seems about right for a tactical/hunting application while bench rest shooter go to a 1lb or even a few ounces. If your looking for an aftermarket trigger i hear good things about huber 2 stage trigger. Jewel is a highly recommended trigger also along with timney. But there may or may not be an issue with jewels getting fudged in the field.

Im curious if lighter trigger could actually hinder my progress then. Im a beginner as well and I'm trying to get my fundamentals down. At the same time it seems like I could get a solid adjustable trigger and still work on a solid trigger pull.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't think a lighter trigger will screw you up if your saying yours is heavy. Just not to light where you have a "hair" trigger(which has other potential problems ie accidental discharge) As long as your able to get the same feeling from pull to pull.

Go with a Jewell the 3 springs allow you to set it at any pull weight. And don't even bother trying to sell the X-Mark, you can't give them away. If you are a bench rider go for a few oz. I have found that a light but crisp trigger pull gives that "surprise" you are looking for. Timney is ok but still too heavy and the adjustment isn't that good. Some guys don't like the small shoe on the Jewell.

Or how light is too light?

A lot of this is personal preference. I know several of the top competitive shooters in the county have scary light triggers.

My personal preference is in the 2 to 2.5 pound range. That way, I can feel my finger pressing the trigger before it goes off in any circumstances - whether my fingers are cold, I just ran 50 yards or have my adrenelin pumping.

I perform equally with the 1#3oz trigger on my AI-AX custom and with the standard trigger on my KAC SR-15 which breaks a little north of 4 lbs.

Both triggers present a glass rod feel with the firing task although 1 is single stage and the other is a 2 stage.

A lighter trigger may mask a fault in your trigger control by allowing you to break the shot sooner as you build pressure on the trigger but it will getcha should you ever have to use a heavier trigger.
Now if your trigger is creepy or gritty and presenting an inconsistent break, you do have an issue that should be corrected. An expert can work with even a crappy trigger. My contention is that pull weight, within reason, is not the cause of trigger issues.

I perform equally with the 1#3oz trigger on my AI-AX custom and with the standard trigger on my KAC SR-15 which breaks a little north of 4 lbs.

Both triggers present a glass rod feel with the firing task although 1 is single stage and the other is a 2 stage.

A lighter trigger may mask a fault in your trigger control by allowing you to break the shot sooner as you build pressure on the trigger but it will getcha should you ever have to use a heavier trigger.
Now if your trigger is creepy or gritty and presenting an inconsistent break, you do have an issue that should be corrected. An expert can work with even a crappy trigger. My contention is that pull weight, within reason, is not the cause of trigger issues.

Well the trigger feels consistent, but to me, it feels north of four pounds, which from what I've read is heavy for precision. Granted my form needs more practice, but I can't see how it could hurt me, especially if I continued to practice fundamentals on the aftermarket trigger. Plus with the recall and everything, I might just go aftermarket anyway.

Seems to me that it can only help things.

For practical field guns, I need a trigger that is heavy enough to safely be used with gloves. Crispness and consistency go a long ways towards satisfying this requirement while not being overly cumbersome to operate.

I have a benchrest rifle with a 2 oz Jewell. It's more like a mental command than a physical motion. It takes getting used to, and most shooters who aren't used to it will trigger it accidentally on their first try.

A step up from there is my F Class rifle - it has a two stage trigger at about 8 to 10 oz. This feels very comfortable, and about as light as I can go without feeling like the trigger is twitchy.

Moving up the chain, is my "precision" AR with a Geissele two stage set at about 2 1/2 pounds total. At this weight, I'm aware of weight of the trigger and my hand strength just starts to play a role. For a field rifle, this is as light as I'd want to go.

The heaviest trigger in my safe is in my High Power AR Service rifle at about 5 pounds - another Geissele two stage. It's at 5 pounds because the rules dictate a 4.5 or heavier trigger. It is a disadvantage compared to the lighter version in my other AR. There's no way to sugar coat that.

Will proper fundamentals cure the problems of a heavy trigger? Sure, but it's hard. All the forces in your hand have to be lined up just right, or you'll move the rifle. 5 pounds is a lot of force in this context. Of course, there are guys who can shoot high master scores with a service rifle. I wish I was one of them.

Can you jack up the trigger pull on a light trigger? Yes, but it's hard. When the firing pin falls at 2 or 8 oz, you just aren't exerting enough force on a heavy rifle to do much. You really have to manhandle it to screw it up.

One benefit to a light trigger is that it's easier to practice the pull because it's pure motion - you don't have to overcome any resistance. I think it's easier to develop a consistent pull on a light trigger without adding the complicating factor of the additional weight. But to each his own. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited:
Im not planning for it to be thrown in the mud anytime soon, and theres not much dust flying around in Tennessee. I think the jewel would be my best bet. The trouble is finding one with all the after markets triggers being bought up for recalled guns. Checked brownells and midway and they're on backorder

You will need 3 things.
1. your rifle
2. about 20 to 30 feet in a low to no light room
3. a CHEAP lazar pointer.
So tape, attach or whatever a lazar pointer to the end of your barrel in a darkened room. Go prone and do some dry fire on the wall. Ok now as the trigger breaks watch that little lazar dot move around and realize that at 10 yards if that dot moves just ONE TENTH of ONE INCH you just missed your target by one inch at 100 yards. Or 10 inches at 1,000.
Good shooting can be accomplished by removing as many errors as you can because inaccuracy can often be cumulative. Inch from a heavy trigger or not pulling straight back, another inch from bad position, another inch from the rifle, another inch from not being centered behind the scope, another because of poor cheek weld etc. etc. If all the planets align "against you" then you get a shot where you go WTF?

I'm running #2 on my truck/brush gun, #1.5 on my varmint, and #12 ounces on my belly benchrest rig (f/tr). I had a Jewel on my f/tr gun and have had one on my old tactical rig. No way will I ever have another one again. For a benchrest gun that is cleaned constantly OK, anything that actually gets used I won't have it on. There is a Timney on the BAT f/tr gun and no fail to fire and no slam fires like my old 700. My varmint and truck gun are both Savage's with accutrigger so it is somewhat a different game there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm running #2 on my truck/brush gun, #1.5 on my varmint, and #12 ounces on my belly benchrest rig (f/tr). I had a Jewel on my f/tr gun and have had one on my old tactical rig. No way will I ever have another one again. For a benchrest gun that is cleaned constantly OK, anything that actually gets used I won't have it on. There is a Timney on the BAT f/tr gun and no fail to fire and no slam fires like my old 700. My varmint and truck gun are both Savage's with accutrigger so it is somewhat a different game there.

how much an issue did you have with your jewel?

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Enough to make me quit a match. In seriousness luckily I had my varmint gun with me, I swapped barrels and got back into it. That day it was mid winter, wind blowing 30+ and the sand was in everything. It got the Timney ordered that next Monday. Seems like every time that gun got dirty I had problems.

All my tactical match rifles are in the 2.5-3 pound range and they shoot plenty accurately.