• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How important is a zero stop?

He should know which revolution his zero is on. They are marked for a reason.
My Weaver Tactical has a locking turret that has to be pulled on to unlock and adjust elevation/windage. There is a little play in this feature and because of that, counting the lines that indicate the rev is a challenge which is why I prefer to KNOW how many revs from scope bottom to my zero. My DMR is less sloppy, but I apply the same practice with it.

A friend at our club has the same DMR. He was invited back to the 1100/1200 yard range (can go as someone else's guest a limited number of time before paying for this upgrade) and he was lost in his revs. Ended up with a low impact that luckily skipped into a back stop. He immediately was talking about scopes with zero stops.

Again, you certainly can get a lot of good use out of a scope without zero stop, but extra steps and care need to be taken.

I have several scopes without zero stops and have never been hindered. I know the the revolution that the turret is zeroed because of the markings on my scope. Have them all memorized. I have never been a revolution off because i was lost and didnt know where my zero is. Thats a stupid mistake which can easily be avoided if you look at the turret markings.

I have been off on my dope and fired because I forgot to adjust my scope back down from a distant target before firing at a nearer target and vice versa. This is also a stupid mistake but happens to everyone regardless if you have a zero stop or not.