• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors how important is capacity in a handgun to you?

weaver126

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2010
titusville, fl
this is for ccw purpose and so on. i saw this thread over on ar15.com today and found it rather interesting, and found it something good to speculate about. sorry that i was on arf.com lowlight i apologize. but this is something thats been on my mind recently.

with the majority of polymer handguns in .45 you get 10 to 12 rounds with 1 in the chamber. yet with a glock 17 you get 17+ i believe.
how important is that extra 5 rounds to you member. what is your take on this?
me not being 21 yet i'm indecisive about this for i don't have the privilege of carrying a handgun around.
if you have a ccw and you post, which i hope you will, please list your daily carry. all information and view points welcome, please!

Re: how important is capacity in a handgun to you?

I'm hesitant to even touch this one... I typically carry a 5-rd SW revolver, just because I can shoot it well and it 'hides' on my person. Thats my main concern, i don't see too many good things happening after 5-6 shots anyway. YMMV

My own school of thought is if you need your gun and cant solve the problem with three or so rounds you probably couldnt solve it with fifty rounds. This of course would be different for military and law enforcement, they run to the fight and for the most part civies should avoid it.

My personal carry gun is a 4" XD 40 the number one reason for carrying that gun is that if I need it it fits my hand well and I can shoot it well with either hand. What I think it comes down to is pick a gun that you feel comfortable with and shoot well. If my XD had half its capacity (6 +1) I would still carry it.

Holsters play a big role in carry to, you could have the best gun ever made and if your holster doesnt fit you, insnt comfortable, and doesnt conceal well you wont wear it for long. My everyday holster is a Bladetech ultimate concealment inside the waistband.

the gun you shoot better is the better choice. there is the whole 9mm and .40 and .45 debate that goes round and round. with the modern bullets available today, any choice is not a bad choice. concealabity, weight, and how you shoot a gun are larger factors. if you have a 5 pound gun that holds 14 rnds of 45 but its in your car or dresser because its too heavy then whats the point. alot of people carry g26 due to its size and weight. alot of other guys carry 1911 in .45 there is no magic bullet all rounds have their issues. pick a gun that you will carry in a caliber you are good at shooting and practice, dont select a carry gun based on capacity or caliber. shoot several of your buddies and see what style you naturally shoot the best. then select your caliber. some guys can shoot lights out with glocks and cant hit shit with a 1911 some are opposite. although i dont know how you shoot a 1911 and dont fall in love but to each their own

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HitEmHard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm hesitant to even touch this one... I typically carry a 5-rd SW revolver, just because I can shoot it well and it 'hides' on my person. Thats my main concern, i don't see too many good things happening after 5-6 shots anyway. YMMV </div></div>

Same here, I carry a S&W Airwheight 38SPL as my daily carry gun.I call it my "Just in Case" gun.I figure if more than that is needed,I'm in deeper than I want to be.Of course,I always have an AR15 "Coyote Gun" in my vehicle.

Capacity for a CCW is more important to me than the capacity of a duty weapon. That may sound a little odd, but here's why...
With my duty rig, I can carry plenty of extra mags (typically 4 or more for a single-stack 1911) plus a small back-up gun. With CCW stuff, I'll likely only have one spare mag, as any more than that becomes harder to hide than the gun itself.

I have carried only a 5-shot snubby on several occasions when nothing else could be hidden, but it's not my preferred choice, it's a back-up to a real gun.

The theory of making every shot count sounds good, and at one time I believed in that very thing and thought it ridiculous that someone whould need more than 5rds to save their ass. While that may hold true when someone else is in danger and you are going on the offensive to protect them, when <span style="font-weight: bold">you</span> are the primary target and responding to an immediate threat toward yourself, you'll likely waste the first few rounds in an adrenaline-fueled response.

I carry a G19 (15+1) and one spare mag.

7 round .32 here, 24/7, even around the house. At home maybe it will get me to the 870. Sometimes a single stack Smith .45. Sometimes a .38. Often a .45 ACP revolver in the car.
The one in the car isn't much help if I'm not in the car.

Who cares about the amount of ammo the mag can hold; as long as you know what you’re doing that is all that matters. Every round you shoot during a shooting will be examined to the maximum degree by armchair quarterbacks. Think shot placement!

Not very. My daily carry is a 7+1 1911 or a 6+1 .380 depending on season and clothing. The main thing with a CCW is something you will carry and something you can put into battery well and shoot well.

Capacity isn't as important to me as being comfortable with the gun. On the other hand, I'm not going to buy a 2 shot .25acp to keep in my wallet. I bought a Smith & Wesson M&P compact in .40, which has 10+1 capacity. It's damn accurate at 10 yards, and it's paper-plate accurate in my hands at 25 yards. That's 75 feet from a little 3.5" barrel.

I think the minimum number of rounds I would feel comfortable with is 5 shots from any gun. If I can shoot it well, 5 is more than enough. If I can't shoot it well, I have no business with 18 rounds going every which way in a bad situation.

last thing I ever wanna do in a gun fight is run outta ammo.

So much to learn, so little time..

Enough Ammunition?

20 December 2000

SOP-9, as it is called, is NYPD's ongoing statistical study of lethal-force incidents in which MOSs (Members of Service) are involved. It dates from the 1860s to the present and is a credible source of information, one of the few available.

For years, we were all told SOP-9 established the "average" number of rounds fired by an MOS during a lethal encounter was two to three. We later learned that figure was incorrect and was actually the result of sloppy statistical analysis. Naive statisticians simply took the total of all rounds fired outside of the firing range and divided it by the total number of shooting "incidents." Unhappily, "incidents" included accidents and suicides!

A more careful analysis of the data (which included only intentional shootings) revealed the actual figure to be very close to six rounds. What that said to us all was that officers, when threatened with lethal violence, were firing every round they had in their six-shot revolvers. After six shots, there was a mandatory pause for a conventional reload or a "NY reload," which consisted of producing a second revolver! After the reload, additional shooting was rarely necessary.

That was prior to 1994. In 1994 autoloading pistols were introduced to the NYPD system.

When autoloaders (mostly Glocks, with an occasional S&W and Beretta) came into the NYPD system, we all expected that figure (six) to go up into the teens, fully expecting officers to continue to fire every round they have. The latest data has shown our expectations to be incorrect!

The new "average" number of rounds fired is eight. Subsequent data may alter that number, but that is what we have now. What jumps out at me is that, after eight rounds are fired, the parties separate or accommodate to the point where additional shooting is not necessary, at least in the short term, even though the officer is fully capable of firing more rounds. NYPD shooting accuracy has improved steadily, but the average hit percentage is still below twenty, so, out of eight rounds fired, only one or two are likely to impact anywhere on the suspect. In most cases, hit or not, the suspect disengages and runs away.

If you're wondering if there is a point lurking in all this:

If you have enough rounds in your magazine to get you through the initial exchange and still have some rounds left, you can then reload at your leisure. If you go to slide lock prior to the fight ending, then you'll have to reload and resume firing on an emergency basis. We teach students to reload on an emergency basis in any event, but having enough rounds to get you through the fight without the necessity of a reload bringing about an inconvenient interruption would appear to provide a genuine advantage.

When picking a carry I will it holster up, close my eyes, draw, point, then open my eyes. If the weapon is on target and I can shoot it correctly thats the one I carry.

Quanity will never out gun quality, as a hand gun is the last resort and if you have to resort to it, your problems are about to get much worst, even if you win.
I'd suggest everyone take a course in how to read people in their A/O's, before thinking a CCW is all that. Better to see the fight coming and side step it than having to spend the day/s being questioned, and have your weapon engraved with the case number.

Answer to your question? It's not. I wish someone would make a decent polymer single stack 9mm.

I think these questions are always asked in a vacuum. The only way to answer the question is for yourself to think of the most likely scenarios that you could encounter, then grab a friend(s) and an Airsoft, or at minimum a static target and a timer and game the shit out of it. The basics - the overall goal is if something happens you need to move to safety (can't be hurt if you're gone, right?). That may or may not mean shooting your way to cover or even better an exit, simply moving to cover or an exit without shooting, or shooting before advancing to cover or an exit. You need to look the most common scenarios and then look at what is best from each vantage point.

When you shoot on the move - don't grocho - sprint. Learn the extent of the distance that you can accurately shoot while sprinting at top speed. Work on both even ground and uneven ground, daylight and lowlight - its an eye opener. Make sure to include typical scenarios like seated at a table, egressing the chair, sprinting to cover (the distance that you would likely find in a restaurant) and dumping rounds on target. Same deal but starting seated and buckled into the driver's seat / passenger seat - definitely wear your seatbelt, learn to remove it quickly with your weak hand, learn to draw and not sweep yourself; work from the starting point of 'parked' or out of gear and parking brake on, and 'coming to a stop' in gear, brake off - you need to get it out of gear and not allow the vehicle to be a liability. Work with both single and multiple targets. Understand that every 'Mike' is a potential innocent that is smacked in the head or a potential lawsuit - thus you need to figure out the distance where you can achieve only A's.

Learn to manage contact distance shooting while both seated and standing. Learn to shoot from the ground up.

Thoughts from having done this myself -

- Don't care who you are or who they are, you're getting hit against a drawn weapon at 5 or less

- Two (good) evenly matched shooters starting from the holster - you're getting hit at 10 or less

- For me, on even ground I max out on A's at a full sprint somewhere right around 13 yrds in daylight and more like 8 in low light (minimum 2 rounds per target)

- Those that dogmatically say you must shoot on the move regardless of the circumstance haven't gamed it out enough to be qualified to say it. There is definitely a time, place and circumstance to stand and deliver. It is dependent on your distance to cover and the distance to the threat. This is why it is so important to know how much ground you can cover and how far you can accurately shoot at full speed. An eye opener is to make a moving target that moves at the speed of the average person doing the grocho, work with it from 10 - 30 yrds away. Grocho vs. sprint and dump vs. sprint only vs. stand and deliver - the distance gained (getting to sold cover) for the accuracy lost over the same time period is the question you need to focus on.

- Look at all the same with a carbine in your hands

I see the advantage to capacity, I still carry a single stack.

Good luck

**ETA - there is a time and a place for grocho (like advancing prior to engagement) but explosive movement, explosive movement with accurate fire, or accurate fire from a static position is likely going to be better than 'splitting the baby' with the grocho.

I want the most chances to make a good shot placement without going below a minimum power level. In other words, nothing smaller than 9mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Answer to your question? It's not. I wish someone would make a decent polymer single stack 9mm. </div></div>

That makes at least 2 of us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weaver126</div><div class="ubbcode-body">t i saw this thread over on ar15.com today and.... </div></div>

Why drag the pointless debate over here? Isn't there enough BS threads like this one on BARF.com to keep you busy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squirrelsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Capacity for a CCW is more important to me than the capacity of a duty weapon. That may sound a little odd, but here's why...
With my duty rig, I can carry plenty of extra mags (typically 4 or more for a single-stack 1911) plus a small back-up gun. With CCW stuff, I'll likely only have one spare mag, as any more than that becomes harder to hide than the gun itself.

I have carried only a 5-shot snubby on several occasions when nothing else could be hidden, but it's not my preferred choice, it's a back-up to a real gun.

The theory of making every shot count sounds good, and at one time I believed in that very thing and thought it ridiculous that someone whould need more than 5rds to save their ass. While that may hold true when someone else is in danger and you are going on the offensive to protect them, when <span style="font-weight: bold">you</span> are the primary target and responding to an immediate threat toward yourself, you'll likely waste the first few rounds in an adrenaline-fueled response.

I carry a G19 (15+1) and one spare mag.</div></div>

+1

For me it boils down to what I can shoot comfortably. My daily carry piece is a Glock 17. Easy to shoot, fairly accurate, holds alot of rounds. I keep to myself and don't go looking for trouble. I think that when trouble will someday arrive, it will be in the form of some scumbag and a couple of his friends. With that in mind, I carry a hicap and extra mags.

In the end it's a personal decision for each person to make after carefully weighing the pro's and con's of a particular weapon system.

Well this is my first post here (just throw that out there:)).

My carry weapon is an SR9. I chose it becuase first and foremost I am extremely comfortable with the pistol and very accurate with it. I also wanted a pistol that had good capacity becuase I more often than not, do not carry spare magazines and having 17+1, is a nice comfort even though I know more likely than not I will not need nearly that amount (I hope). But what if I do? Just saying. Lastly the SR9 is a little bit slimmer than a Glock or XD and I find that it conceals quite nicely with a good quality holster. I personally use a Crossbreed.

But at the end of the day you need to choice a pistol that you are extremely comfortable. That I would list as the first priority

P7PSP for safety and accuracy reasons. Good pair of tennis shoes for "Bobbin' and weavin'" if, for some unforseen reason 8 is not enough. "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">P7PSP for safety and accuracy reasons. Good pair of tennis shoes for "Bobbin' and weavin'" if, for some unforseen reason 8 is not enough. "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression". </div></div>

A P7 really is a joy to carry. It's too bad that it's heavier than my Glock 19 or it might just be the perfect carry gun.

I'm seriously considering getting a snubbie at this point. I am not a revolver fan but it's not like I ever shoot my carry gun anyway.

Anyone who relies on magazine capacity rather than bullet placement is looking in the wrong direction for their "salvation" in a gun fight. Sure, having lots of rounds is nice, but it is far more important that you put the bullets you do have in the right place.

Take an old geezer with a little 5 shot 38spcl who can drill you between the running lights in 1.3 seconds VS the young buck with a 45 auto with 14 rounds in his pistol who can hit you center of mass in 2.3 seconds....who wins the fight? My guess is that the slower fellow doesn't even get a round off.

To be certain though, it would be better to hit the other fellow between the running lights with a 45 than a 38, but that is another discussion.

Look to improve your perishable skills with a handgun rather than relying on a mechanical device (high capacity) to make up for a lack of skill.

agree with that...I own several pistols...38/357/ couple of 9s (love the Glock) ...having said that I dont feel undergunned with my Beretta 71 (22lr). 8 rnd mag and one spare ....its good enough...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see the advantage to capacity, I still carry a single stack.
</div></div>

Great post, MZB, and this sums it up for me too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthony20031</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also wanted a pistol that had good capacity becuase I more often than not, do not carry spare magazines and having 17+1, is a nice comfort even though I know more likely than not I will not need nearly that amount (I hope). </div></div>

The purpose for a second magazine isn't only for spare ammo, it's also for the mag itself. The magazine is the most easily and frequently damaged part of the system, and the middle of a gunfight with no spare would be a tough place to find that your previously perfect magazine now had a tweaked feed lip, the spring had finally given up, or the follower was hanging up on a spot of rust. I was running the timer for a newer shooter at a local competition the other day, and in the middle of a stage he kept having malfunctions. Sand in the mag or it got stepped on or something, it doesn't matter, drop it and grab another one. I have dedicated carry mags that I don't beat up, but it's still not a guarantee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weaver126</div><div class="ubbcode-body">t i saw this thread over on ar15.com today and.... </div></div>

Why drag the pointless debate over here? Isn't there enough BS threads like this one on BARF.com to keep you busy? </div></div>

Hehehehe.......

But I'll play-
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not very. My daily carry is a 7+1 1911 or a 6+1 .380 depending on season and clothing. The main thing with a CCW is something you will carry and something you can put into battery well and shoot well. </div></div>
Me too.

single stack
sig 239 or 1911.
My ankle gun is a 340pd, hammerless 5shot.
Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weaver126</div><div class="ubbcode-body">t i saw this thread over on ar15.com today and.... </div></div>

Why drag the pointless debate over here? Isn't there enough BS threads like this one on BARF.com to keep you busy? </div></div>

no need to be a douche. I found it to be an interesting topic so I decided to bring it up here on this forum ,because i enjoy it. so YOU can not click on this post anymore. unless, YOU have useful information to add to the topic of discussion. thank you. i don't care how long you've been on this forum. you are no more important than any other member here, unless deemed other wise by frank himself, so don't bash posts please.

on another note mo zam beek your post is rather truthful, but as rollingthunder says its a good idea to not have to reload that can only add more stress to the situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Answer to your question? It's not. I wish someone would make a decent polymer single stack 9mm. </div></div>

That makes at least 2 of us.</div></div> What about the Sig Sauer p228...nough said

To me capacity is nice to have.Hence the saying I`d rather have it an not need it then need it an not have it.But a single shot should be enough to defuse any confrontation.The important thing to me is comfort.Trust me I`ve owned just about every brand or type of hand gun out there today.If it`s not comfortable may as well be a paperweight as far as ccw goes...when you become of age go to your local gun store handle some pistols.Try them all not just the cheap ones or the big named ones either.If you have bigger hands such as myself you may find a sub compact Glock doesn`t work for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My own school of thought is if you need your gun and cant solve the problem with three or so rounds you probably couldnt solve it with fifty rounds. </div></div>

Ninety-nine percent of the time you are correct.

For those who carry autos, I think a spare mag is important, more so for the mag than the ammo.

Having a large mag capacity just gives a false sense of security to those who do not train enough IMO. Having said that I like the old adage: you can only have too much ammo if you are sinking or on fire.

-Z

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

For those who carry autos, I think a spare mag is important, more so for the mag than the ammo. </div></div>

+1

There is no such thing as too much ammo in a firefight.

I don't know how many of you have been shot at simultaneously by multiple assailants. And lived.

Any semblance of cool deliberation and calculated response becomes a matter of fiction practically instantaneously. He who deals mayhem the mostest, fastest usually gets to play 'Beat the Reaper' again. Thought is absent, training prevails. Period. That's what the 'John Wayne' popup target combat trail course was all about in ITR. It's also why I trust my Garand utterly; but was even happier to carry the M-14 in combat. Handguns? I don't favor handguns.

Those of us who had selectors carried them set to auto and reset them if the opportunity prevailed once the action had started. This occurred essentially never.

All of this cool and calculated analysis is fine and dandy for a forum. Combat is an entirely different animal.

Our training was about <span style="font-style: italic">always</span> getting overwhelmed and killed by the aggressors, it only ever stopped when we were all dead. "This is <span style="font-style: italic">war</span>, Sunny Jim".

The plan was to get us pissed off about never winning. Combat was supposed to be easier. I guess it was.

Self-esteem is for pussies.

I don't mind getting beat. I mind not being around to try again.

They're only actually supposed to be able kill you once. When it happens, maybe I'll let you know how it feels; but probably, I won't.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redrider308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Answer to your question? It's not. I wish someone would make a decent polymer single stack 9mm. </div></div>

That makes at least 2 of us.</div></div> What about the Sig Sauer p228...nough said </div></div>

???? The P228 is neither single stack nor polymer frame. The Kahr P9 is both and decent, IMHO.

As far as the original question, I want to carry as much fighting capacity as I reasonably can. I generally carry a G19 though I will carry a Kahr PM9 or Ruger LCP if needed.

I believe you should carry the biggest highest capacity gun you can reasonably carry. For me this means sometimes I carry a S&W air weight, a glock 26, 23, or a 20 with 15 rounds.

Nothing wrong with lots of ammo.

One who carries a high capacity firearm is not necessarily a lousy shot.

And one who carries a five or six rounder is not necessarily a cool, collected gunfighter.

I can honestly say that I have debated this in my head a number of times. You absolutely want something that's comfortable to carry and easily concealable, thus a double stack 45 battle pistol is out of the question (unless you've got a crazy body frame and can hide that sucker). Shot placement is always more important than caliber. And I even agree with the idea that if I get myself in a situation 6 rounds of 38 Special +p can't get me out of, I'm in a world of hurt.

The fact is that we're truly planning for that minuscule chance that we would actually be confronted with a situation where we are physically threatened. In that high adrenaline, low margin of error situation, why wouldn't you want as many rounds as you could get?

While the chances are very low of you ever having to use a gun in a figh (assuming you aren't an idiot and intentionally go seeking for that confrontation), if you are going to get into that fight, you want to have the absolute best chances to make it out alive. Thus, I think a high cap 9 or 40 is the best bet, but to each his own.

I am a firm believer in "have it and not need it than need it and not have it". Sure, nobody is looking for a gun fight, but when the target shoots back at you, then may be having a few extra rounds in case is not a bad idea in my book.

One more thing to remember.

It's a great idea to have an extra mag or speed loader. I've seen magazines malfunction and accidentally dumped during the heat of battle. It's easy to shoot your handguns capacity quickly and hits are not always made, no matter how well you shoot. Practice is practice but it's not the same as a gun fight.

A gun without extra ammo makes a short sturdy club.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thebolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A gun without extra ammo makes a short sturdy club. </div></div>

or an expensive rock

I carry a Glock 36 (+1 spare mag) and love the .45 for it's freight train like qualities. If I can't solve my problems with those two mags then I had better be hoofing it out of the area and fast. I also have a S&W hammerless 5 round .38 revolver (with 6 spare +P rounds on a rubber stripper type clip) as backup to the Glock. That's for daily carry.

If it's TEOTWAWKI then I'm carrying my Glock 34 or 17 with oodles of mags topped off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To be certain though, it would be better to hit the other fellow between the running lights with a 45 than a 38, but that is another discussion</div></div>

This is far from well established, and I would actually say false. If you look at the penetration numbers for the quality bullets in .38, 9mm, .40, and .45, you'll find a common theme--they all work just about the same. Caliber is irrelevant among handgun calibers. Many people just don't want to admit that they carry a harder kicking gun for no reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redrider308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What about the Sig Sauer p228...nough said </div></div>

There are a number of problems with this:

1. The P228 is no longer in production.
2. The P228 is not single stack.
3. The P228 uses the antiquated traditional double action trigger system. I will not carry any firearm that doesn't have a consistent trigger pull.
4. The P228 is not polymer framed.

Sig Sauer has a solution to the first two: the P239. It suffers from the third problem, with a caveat. It is available with the DAK trigger system, which sucks even more than traditional double action.

I'd just carry a P7 before I'd consider carrying a Sig. But I'd rather have a single stack, 9mm, and preferably single action pistol in my holster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry a Glock 36 (+1 spare mag) and love the .45 for it's freight train like qualities. If I can't solve my problems with those two mags then I had better be hoof</div></div>

Two comments:

1. The possessive form of its is "its."
2. You watch too many movies. The .45 doesn't have any more "freight train" like qualities than a 9mm with quality bullets. I personally don't think capacity matters, so I won't fault you for carrying a 6 round gun. I would say, however, that if you think that just because it's a .45, it's necessarily a better man stopper, I think you're dead wrong.

This basically boils down to personal preference.

For me, I carry either a Sig p239 with Crimsom Trace laser wrap-around grip or a Kahr PM9 with Crimsome Trace laser. I don't feel limited by capacity, and like the thinner profile of 9mm single stack.

Costs for 9mm ammo is more reasonable than 40S&W, and 45ACP...for me practice is more important than caliber. I try to shot about 200-400 rounds a month, more with warmer weather. I don't reload, so the costs add up, and 9mm made most sense for me.

Sig p239 is relatively heavy, and does not have as much capacity as double-stack alternatives, but in a good holster and with a good belt I find it more comfortable to carry and easier to conceal than a lighter but more "blocky" glock...especially the extra magazine.

I think a Kahr K9 is a great gun, almost perfect in width and heavy enough to shot extensively comfortably and accurately. Now if I could actually find one.

I only carry an extra magazine for malfunctions, and not real for extra capacity.

I carry a small frame 5-round 357mag revolver. I go for easy concealment with knock-down power for my ccw.

I have seen semi-autos jam and fail countless times. Used a 1911 as my ccw till the WILSON bushing BROKE!!!!! And like I said semi-autos can jam as well.

What I'm trying to tell you is I prefer a gun that I KNOW will shoot when I pull the trigger and will continue without flaw. So, capacity is not my main concern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tat1987</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I'm trying to tell you is I prefer a gun that I KNOW will shoot when I pull the trigger and will continue without flaw. So, capacity is not my main concern. </div></div>
^This..

I have a few different pistols of varying levels of power I carry for ccw, but the one I trust the most happens to be the weakest one (in terms of terminal performance/stopping power). Only reason I trust this 9mm more than my .45, .44 mag, or 10mm is because it has been through over 4000 rounds and never experienced a stoppage or jam of any kind. That kind of reliability trumps the stopping power the other pistols give me. The fact that it has the highest mag capacity is irrelavant, I probably only need 2 shots at the most to change the outcome of a situation anyway.

didnt read the whole thread, but when i first started carrying (year or so ago) i cared, i felt the more the better and carried 2 mags to boot.

now I carry my Springfield 8+1 and depending on where im going an extra mag.

after just reading tat1987s reply. i agree with his

I didn't read every response in this thread, so if someone has covered my answer/reasoning...than I commend you
grin.gif

The argument of shot placement and capacity is age old, but envision this...

If you are shooting 3" groups on a paper trgt at 25yds from the bench seated (I can't do that)
then...
Stand up and see if you can maintain that 3" group
now...
shoot at that same trgt moving left, right, forward and backwards...still shooting 3" groups? (I think not).
now...
imagine that you are moving and now your trgt is moving too...how much bigger did your group get now that your trgt is moving too?
now...
imagine that you are moving and your trgt is moving, only this time your trgt is shooting back at you...how much greater did your group open up now???
now...
imagine that you are moving, your trgt is moving and shooting at you, their are obstacles and cover between you and your trgt.
now...
imagine that you are moving, your trgt is moving and shooting at you from behind obstacles in a low-light environment.

Shot placement is obviously important for obvious reasons, but dump real-world factors in the mix and you're a fool to negate capacity may it be a high-cap gun or extra mags .