• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How is RCBS in business?

Yep. I rarely deal with residential but industrial isn't much better... Usually you're trying to troubleshoot a mess that every jake-leg maintenance guy has had his hands in over the last 20 years.

Most facilities have adopted a "no energized work" policy. It's a nice sentiment, but not realistic. You could spend days/weeks trying to trace down which panel/breaker feeds a recep or light... You're better off gloving up and working it hot.

Mike
Last I worked in was like that. Tracing to a panel was an exercise in detective work. I even found a hot working panel, with no cover, behind a false wall. Always a challenge.

“You’ll get fired if you work that while hot.”

“You want it fixed or not?”

Reactions: OkieMike
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I went to work at a company with an IBM System 3 Model 15D - this was a long time ago, you could see the marks where Fred and Barney has chiseled the gears. The IBM systems guy tells me this story. The machine was installed and it started out flakey, they replaced lots of stuff and it was still flakey. One day the IBM repair guy was trying to trace the power. He was tugging on wires. So he pulls on that green useless one and it just came out of the wall. The electrician who ran the power didn't have a run from the panel or a place to screw it down so he just stuck it into a hole in the sheetrock. Alaska in the 70s.

• Wow
Reactions: lariat and lash
As others have said, there are several sources that will interfere with digital scale/dispensers. Another condition is weak or lack of contact with connectors within the device. Here is what I did to fix my Chargemaster years ago. Also, are you allowing it to warm up for 30 minutes before using it?

Reactions: lariat
I've only had one problem with an RCBS product, and it was self-induced accidentally. I got a piece of grit between a shell case and the sizing die body that gouged the die. I'm only an hour and a half away from them so I called them up and asked if I could stop by and purchase a replacement die body. I show up cash in hand, the receptionist already had the part sitting there waiting for me, and they didn't charge me for it, even after I told them up front that it wasn't a manufacturing defect but was something I did. THAT is customer service. Rock Chucker press, Automatic Priming Tool (best invention ever, can't believe I used a hand priming tool for 9 years before I bought this), MatchMaster dies, all good here. The two Chargemasters I have had work fine. Have to be careful about electronics getting too close, but otherwise no problems.

we got two of there presses and I have not had a problem with either also there hand primer has not let me down either not that pot metal is dependable but it is what it is .

Yep. I rarely deal with residential but industrial isn't much better... Usually you're trying to troubleshoot a mess that every jake-leg maintenance guy has had his hands in over the last 20 years.

Most facilities have adopted a "no energized work" policy. It's a nice sentiment, but not realistic. You could spend days/weeks trying to trace down which panel/breaker feeds a recep or light... You're better off gloving up and working it hot.

Mike

While it's true that many electrical contractors leave a lot to be desired in residential construction, one of the major reasons issues such as grounding issues aren't detected is because of how many municipality inspections force the builder and thus the electrician to do things. If you can't get a meter until after the final building inspection (which means all other inspections are done prior to), then the electrician has to then make another trip, and test in a finished home to be able to check anything with full power on the house. If all of the municipalities would do a "temp perm" inspection and get the meter set before final, it wouldn't be so unfeasible for the electrician to test with full power, and the builder would have a way to make them do it too.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I went to work at a company with an IBM System 3 Model 15D...

See, there's one I like. IBM has never let me down. Always a treat to work with their systems and their company.

As far as the Chargemaster goes.
1) Make sure it is on a level and stable surface.
2) Make sure there is no electrical interference in the room such as neon lights.
3)Make sure that there are no cellular phones or other radio waves nearby.
4)Make sure that the room temperature is stable with no air currents.
5)Verify the calibration using check weights near the weight at which you want to dispense.

This is how to reprogram the Chargemaster.

I will say this: I have taken all my RCBS measuring equipment, had it calibrated and used it in my machine shop as a test vs Brown and Sharpe and mititoyo. It hangs in there with them, at least the circa 2000 -2010 stuff. It isn’t shit equipment in my experience.

Hard to beat a well cared for and frequently weight checked beam scale.

I don’t own any RCBS electronics. My son uses a charge master but we check each load with a (you Guessed It) beam scale.

As far as everything else I have owned by RCBS since say 1972, never had many issues and if I did, whether it was my fault, their fault or nobody’s fault, RCBS was quick to make it right. And normally, at their expense, even after being very upfront that I was the one who caused the issue.

So, let’s put this almost 2 year old thread back to bed. (Nice rhyme huh?).

I’m looking at a #43 RCBS shell holder that I know works with 223 wssm. The wssm and wsm cartridges share the same rim diameter. I could send it to you and we could settle this “is it me or RCBS” debate. But, if it didn’t make it back to me, would I ever find another that works???
I've had nosler and Bertram brass not have the rim machined correctly.

I have a uniflow powder measure that leaks. I cannot find from where. I use RCBS dies. The lock rings that came on them are in the garbage. They don't even sort of work. Other than that, no complaints.