• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How it begins. Surface Machined Inlet for Savage 110 SA

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Inletting stocks is something I've done now for 20 or so years. Initially on a 1940's era Bridgeport knee mill. Thankfully, we've been able to usher this process from the dark ages into something a bit more present day.

Here's how it all starts. A receiver, a surface plate, a height stand, some gauges, and a CAM system.

1642010600404.jpeg

Model created:

1642010630237.png

From here I export it as a STEP file and dump it into the lap of the stock dept. Shayne will then use it to generate tool paths to chew on a stock.

Example: (not a Savage, but the process is basically the same) This is an older clip from almost 10 years ago, but it illustrates the process pretty well. Equipment and software has been updated significantly. The machine shown is a 1991 production Haas VF1. -basically, the machine Noah used to engrave the 10 commandments. I donated it to the local high school in 2016 when we replaced it. Still going today, lol.