• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How light is too light?

cast1

Polyhobbyism sufferer
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
About to start a build for a friend. He wants a lightweight magnum/back country rifle, probably in 300 PRC. Working component list is as follows:

-Bighorn TL3
-Triggertech special 2 stage
-Proof CF barrel sendero @ 24” 1:9 twist
-MDT HNT 26 chassis, folder with arca rail option
-Leupold mk 5 HD 3.6-18x44 scope
-MK IV rings
-Dead Air Nomad LTi

Adding what weight I can find for components comes up to just under 10 lbs not counting ammo. My question is, is that too light? Is the thing going to kill at both ends? He’s ex-military, SF, big dude, not recoil averse, etc. It’s just that he’s probably looking at $7-8k, all in, and I don’t want him to have a rifle that is a terror to shoot. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
Depends on where and how he intends to hunt. My 300 win mag is 8.5# loaded with no muzzle break. It shoots hand loads with 200 grain Partitions at 2970 fps into 3/4” three shot groups. It’s a bit brisk at the bench recoil wise especially since it has a hard rubber pad on the butt plate, not a recoil pad, but I use a past recoil shield for shooting from a bench. Once I get off the bench, it’s not bad, in the field, I don’t notice it at all. It’s as much weight as I want to carry especially in the mountains. 10# would be too heavy for me to carry all day, but to each his own. I wouldn’t make it any heavier unless he’s not doing much walking.

I think that he will be fine, it´s a bit different to shoot a long range hunting rifle in a fairly stout cal, when compared to a 20 Lbs PRS rifle, however, with a bit of practice and so on,

I belive that your friend will really come to like the rifle/setup, I sure would like one similar to it.

In line with the train of thought, mountain rifles that cut down to 5-6 Lbs, like a scoped and loaded Kimber Mountain Ascent rifle, I just find them really hard to shoot, I get different POI with just a small shift in grip and position, not to mention that after 3 shots it wanders.

Normal Weight
-Bighorn TL3
-Leupold 3.6-18x44 scope
-MK IV rings
Leaves it down to...
Light Weight
Maybe a different action could add a bit of mass without noticing?
But main decision is really down to chassis, possibly barrel.

That’s not to light, mine is 10.7lbs, scoped rifle with empty mag. I run it with an ultra 5, but a tried a nomad Lti the other day on the rifle it was nice. You won’t be spotting your own shots, although to me recoil is not that bad. The only things I would change on your list is to use a 20” Bbl instead of a 24” with a can. At normal hunting distances and even at 700-800yards you won’t really notice the 100fps loss. And to use a better scope than a vx3. You have nice component list, do it justice and put a scope on there that will still track for more than 100 rounds.

Reactions: Flather18
If one is looking for light weight, high class optics, not super rugged or mil spec:ish, Swarovski has a few different options that are both great optics and that are light in weight,

I might be getting old, or at least my eyes are, so with a bit, or a lot better optics, I find that I can shoot, identify and spot more game, at longer ranges.

That’s not to light, mine is 10.7lbs, scoped rifle with empty mag. I run it with an ultra 5, but a tried a nomad Lti the other day on the rifle it was nice. You won’t be spotting your own shots, although to me recoil is not that bad. The only things I would change on your list is to use a 20” Bbl instead of a 24” with a can. At normal hunting distances and even at 700-800yards you won’t really notice the 100fps loss. And to use a better scope than a vx3. You have nice component list, do it justice and put a scope on there that will still track for more than 100 rounds.
Sorry, didn’t specify I was talking about a mk 5 HD. Post edited to reflect.

Reactions: CA48
About to start a build for a friend. He wants a lightweight magnum/back country rifle, probably in 300 PRC. Working component list is as follows:

-Bighorn TL3
-Leupold mk 5 HD 3.6-18x44 scope
-MK IV rings
-Dead Air Nomad LTi

Adding what weight I can find for components comes up to just under 10 lbs not counting ammo. My question is, is that too light? Is the thing going to kill at both ends? He’s ex-military, SF, big dude, not recoil averse, etc. It’s just that he’s probably looking at $7-8k, all in, and I don’t want him to have a rifle that is a terror to shoot. Would love to hear your thoughts.

My last 300 Win Mag was a Sako 75 Hunter. All up it was right around 9.25 - 9.5 lbs.

Your friend's rifle isn't too light.

for comparison a Seekins Element is about 6 pounds unscoped in 300PRC. so scope and can about 9-10 pounds max

he'll be fine

Hell be fine. I had a Seekins Element 300 prc and had no issues. Especially for hunting, you just don't notice recoil in the field. On the bench shooting, yes 300 prc light weight is a little rough...with a brake or can though it almost doesn't matter.

Really depends on three factors. The recoil sensitivity of your friend, the fit of the stock and the ability to hold the rifle steady. Balance will have some play in this as well.

Owned a 5.6 pound Creedmoor. Kicked hard and was impossible to keep on target. Sold it. Own a .25-06 at 8.5 pounds all up. Easy to shoot, very steady. Creedmoor should have been an easier shooting rifle.

Recoil does not play into this for me. Just as happy blasting away with a .416 as a .243. However, both Brenda and I agree, her little .243, if not held jsut right is a mean and nasty little bastard. Hitting the shoulder and everything else much harder, much, much above its weight class. I would much rather shoot heavy loads from my .35 Whelen all day than shoot a five shot string with her .243. Sure is a pretty piece of wood, sure wish it had a better shape.

i think one of the big contributors is the fact we're shooting well thought out chassis/stocks (HNT26, XLR Element, LRH, Seekins stocks) with vertical grips. you're actually in a nice shooting position

A 10lbs suppressed 30 cal magnum isn't bad at all to shoot and I'm not a fan of recoil. It's also not a lightweight hunting rifle either.

I would second going with a 20" barrel with the can. 24" plus can is long AF in the woods, even with a folder.

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli