• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors How long does a form 3 transfer take?

HawkDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2012
Southeast Ohio
I have a suppressor that is in the process of being transferred to my SOT on a form 3, what is the average wait time? It's been over a month and I'm ready to get the Form 4 filed and really start the waiting. Does anyone have any recent experience with this?

Re: How long does a form 3 transfer take?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a suppressor that is in the process of being transferred to my SOT on a form 3, what is the average wait time? It's been over a month and I'm ready to get the Form 4 filed and really start the waiting. Does anyone have any recent experience with this? </div></div>

Depends on where the can is coming from and the manufacturer.

I have seen Form3's take anywhere from 6-10 weeks lately.

Form 3 was filed by TBAC on 17 December. Still no word yet. I'm guessing the holidays will most definitely add a few days to the wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Form 3 was filed by TBAC on 17 December. Still no word yet. I'm guessing the holidays will most definitely add a few days to the wait. </div></div>

It has to be approved THEN mailed back to TBAC. Then it can be shipped.

You are worrying a bit too soon if you don't have the can at your SOT around mid February to end of February then I would have your SOT contact the ATF and see whats up.

My suppressor took 2 months back at the end of last year...

The ATF has slowed big time, my 3's were going in 21 days. Now it's 6 weeks. Not sure why, volume, political climate, or what.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ATF has slowed big time, my 3's were going in 21 days. Now it's 6 weeks. Not sure why, volume, political climate, or what. </div></div>

I was told volume. Tons of Form1 for SBR's before they are banned!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StalkingRhino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Form 3 was filed by TBAC on 17 December. Still no word yet. I'm guessing the holidays will most definitely add a few days to the wait. </div></div>

It has to be approved THEN mailed back to TBAC. Then it can be shipped.

You are worrying a bit too soon if you don't have the can at your SOT around mid February to end of February then I would have your SOT contact the ATF and see whats up. </div></div>
I'm not worried about it yet. They told me around a month and my SOT said 3 months. Just wondering who is more accurate in their estimates.

Depends on which state the suppressor is coming from. Different examiners in different states. Some take as little as 3 weeks, and some are as long as 3 months. NFA was also out for approximately 4 weeks between Thanksgiving and the new year. So, thats why anything at the end of the year is taking longer. Should get back to normal now, depending on the surge of SBR sales.

And just for an example. I have an SOT, and ordered a TBAC back back in the Spring and it took about 3 months for the form 3 to clear. Their examiner is pretty slow.

By the time I get it and then file the form 4 and pay my dues waiting on it, it'll be September before I can put some rounds down range. Shortly after that, I'm going to have to part ways with it for a year... Sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 317millhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And just for an example. I have an SOT, and ordered a TBAC back back in the Spring and it took about 3 months for the form 3 to clear. Their examiner is pretty slow. </div></div>

The examples I gave earlier in the thread (2 cans @ 31 days and 1 can @ 26 days) were all TBAC. I had another TBAC can earlier in the year take 34 days for the Form 3. That's an average 30.5 days for Form 3s on 4 TBAC cans.

Good to know. TBAC cans are worth whatever the wait. Just pay and don't worry about it. Nothing we can do to change it.

My form 3 was submitted to the ATF on 12/03/2011 and was received back 1/09/2013 (5 weeks including Holidays). The supressor was shipped to my FFL/SOT same day, the Form 4 Trust was mailed today. According to the NFA tracker I should have my YHM SS QD 3300 in my possession sometine in August or September 2013.

I just looked at the graph of From 4 transfers on the NFA Tracker site. There was jump in the number of requested transfers September through November 2011 and now and Pending to Approved wait time has leveled out to an average of 150 days +/- 30 days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KY308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just looked at the graph of From 4 transfers on the NFA Tracker site. There was jump in the number of requested transfers September through November 2011 and now and Pending to Approved wait time has leveled out to an average of 150 days +/- 30 days. </div></div>

Look at the number of people submitting to the tracker and you can determine the validity of the data. Something like 2% of transfers are documented there, along with false information as well. It enough to give you an "idea" but nothing more.

Thanks StalkingRine I knew it couldn't be all the transfers out there but it was interesting info non the less.

Ordered can from Mile High that was in stock on Nov 27, got shipment to dealer notification Jan 21.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told volume. Tons of Form1 for SBR's before they are banned! </div></div>

If you already have the AR lower in your possesion and are going through the NFA process (which is highly regulated) why would it be banned? Was it during the first AWB? Same goes for suppessors. They are NFA regulated and you should be allowed to still own them. That is why we pay the $200 tax stamp. Otherwise I have 4 suppressors and 3 SBR's that I can neither sell or pass on to my family through my trust. Is I crazy to think this?

I ordered 1/2//13 from the dealer in TX, it arrives at my C3 1/28/13.

Good luck

I know it's not on your end Zak, I like the tracking invoice that you guys use. I check it almost daily. it's probably like watching water boil, that could be why it hasn't cleared yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have a bunch of Form 3's submitted mid Dec that we're still waiting on. </div></div>

My TBAC 22-L1 showed up at my SOT today. Order placed 6 Dec, so it was probably one of those. Figure around 45 days or so.

Now to start a form 4. Ugh.

I sent a form 5 in 1/2/13 and just went pending yesterday 1/31/13. Nice lady said there has been a sharp increase workload since the 1st.

Paid for a Gemtech October 23. Dealer in Oklahoma had it in stock for a form 3 transfer to Florida. To date no joy

My stuff clears in 4 weeks usually, but every once in a while I get one that takes several months.

I just talked to Jensen Arms asking exactly this question, and they indicated they are seeing times just under 2 months right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Form 3 cleared and TBAC shipped today. Filed on 12/17 and cleared 2/8</div></div>

Same filing and approval dates for me from TBAC too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John yours shipped today, did you get the email from TBAC? </div></div>
I got the shipping notification. Thanks for the follow up.

is a customer about to track a form 3 from dealer to dealer? or is just a hope game?