• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How long does a muzzle brake last?

Franko

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 19, 2018
Southern California
I was just cleaning my guns and pulled off my brakes and cleaned them as well. I noticed some corrosion on the brakes and got to wondering when I should be looking at replacing them.

Any thoughts?

I guess that answer depends on what cartridge you are shooting, what powder is going through it, round count, what the firing schedule is, what the muzzle brake is made out of (aluminum vs steel), etc.

But I think most of the above is pretty academic and practically speaking you probably aren't going to wear out a muzzle brake in most situations.

By corrosion are you taking about the blueish residue that develops from carbon deposits? Or is there an actual material degradation you are observing? The former is easily solved through simple cleaning. The latter I guess the answer is "it depends".

I guess that answer depends on what cartridge you are shooting, what powder is going through it, round count, what the firing schedule is, what the muzzle brake is made out of (aluminum vs steel), etc.

But I think most of the above is pretty academic and practically speaking you probably aren't going to wear out a muzzle brake in most situations.

By corrosion are you taking about the blueish residue that develops from carbon deposits? Or is there an actual material degradation you are observing? The former is easily solved through simple cleaning. The latter I guess the answer is "it depends".
Material degradation. I am seeing a little bit of pitting and rust around the core of the brake (where the bullet passes through). The brakes have thousands of rounds through them so I don't think they will fail anytime soon but was wondering if as the brake erodes it might have enough of an impact on accuracy to require a new brake.

Honestly I'm not sure at what point the material degradation of a muzzle brake would be required to upset the flow regime enough to perceivably impact precision.

Personally not something I worry about. Are you seeing anything downrange that would convince you that there is a degradation in precision? If no, then I wouldn't worry about it. If yes, remove the muzzle device and see if that's the source of the issues.

Reactions: Staccato
I'm not seeing anything downrange and suspect that if a brake did need replaced the initial effects would be pretty hard to spot. I was asking here to check what the common wisdom was. I was wondering if the rule of thumb would be something along the lines of "buy a new brake third barrel".

I'm not seeing anything downrange and suspect that if a brake did need replaced the initial effects would be pretty hard to spot. I was asking here to check what the common wisdom was. I was wondering if the rule of thumb would be something along the lines of "buy a new brake third barrel".

If such a rule thumb exists I'm not aware of it.

For the vast majority of us here, I don't think we are going to wear out a muzzle brake.