• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How many honestly wear safety glasses

JJones75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2008
southern , LA
Had a close call yesterday its one of those things i thank god i was wearing my PPE.
While hogging off some 4340 to make a set of guage blocks this chip shot up at seemingly faster than the speed of light and imbedded into my safety glasses , it was hot enough to melt and get stuck their.

I have no doubt that had i not been wearing my glases id now be blind in my right eye

Just some food for thought guys
safetyglasses.jpg

Re: How many honestly wear safety glasses

Wow. I had a 45ACP blow out a case one time and it blew powder and case fragments straight back in my face, I was bleeding all around my safety glasses. Good thing I had them on, it does pay off sometimes. Glad you had them on!

absolutely excellent example, and those are now "bazillion dollar safety glasses". Aren't they?

You went out and bought and 'even better pair' of them, didn't you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">absolutely excellent example, and those are now "bazillion dollar safety glasses". Aren't they?

You went out and bought and 'even better pair' of them, didn't you?
</div></div>

yes , those and every other pair of safety glasses are absolutly priceless in my oppinion , especialy now.
These arnt' expensive glasses , but they are very comfortable and dont give me a headache from distortion , this allows me to wear them all day without even thinking about it lessening the chance of taking them off and "forgetting" to put them back on

Dont leave home without em, it amazes me at times that people will ignore the risks involved with performing some tasks. I cant believe how many people I see weed wacking without eye protection, Ive been hit in the legs and even in the face with debris and Im sure it would cause serious injury. I another note I recently caught one of those chips on my lower lip, loads of fun. Maybe Ill get a set of those lip protectors like football players wear Probably NOT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 73 fastback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont leave home without em, it amazes me at times that people will ignore the risks involved with performing some tasks. I cant believe how many people I see weed wacking without eye protection, Ive been hit in the legs and even in the face with debris and Im sure it would cause serious injury. I another note I recently caught one of those chips on my lower lip, loads of fun. Maybe Ill get a set of those lip protectors like football players wear Probably NOT </div></div>

Dont laugh , my safety department is now doing an investigation on weather or not we should wear full face shields !! I had a little piece of an insert shoot off and hit the tip of my nose so i understand your lip issue

Never wore them when I was younger, but now wear them all the time weather shooting or working. My lathe is limited to wood, but I wear glasses and a face mask. Ever seen a piece of wood come apart at high speed, nothing like metal chips but a face full of splinters I do not want.

I wear them daily, but then again I need glasses to see anything. My daily wear glasses are high index polycarb....

JeffVN

Thanks for sharing, maybe someone will make a motivational poster out of your picture.
I wear mine while at home building shit or at work, going into customers shops.
We sell glasses similar to that for about a buck a pair, I agree cheap insurance and you don't have to wear a patch for the rest of your life.
SScott

I always wear safety glasses when turning, Shit like that can happen way to fast. like said above, its cheap insurance.

Kc

Thought you meant when shooting... rarely.

But when machining? ALWAYS!

And that's why.

Bad ass pic you could sell it to a safety glass company I bet
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bad ass pic you could sell it to a safety glass company I bet
smile.gif
</div></div>

If that pics makes sombody say "shit that could be me" and put their glasses on then thats payment enough!!

This would not only have been my shooting eye , but also the eye i look through my camera with to take pictures of my kids , the eye i wink at my wife with when i want to quietly tell her i love her.
Alot more to it when you stop and think

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought you meant when shooting... rarely.

But when machining? ALWAYS!

And that's why.

Bad ass pic you could sell it to a safety glass company I bet
smile.gif
</div></div>

Well, for me I will not shoot without eye protection. Ive never personally had a mishap where my glasses saved my eyesight but Ive certainly heard enough horror stories that Ive got religion

When I shoot my bolt guns for the best accuracy I don't use glasses. They bother me too much. I'll wear them for most other shooting.

I once hit a nail with my circular saw when taking down an old deck and the metal ricocheted off the inside of my safety glasses and got stuck in my eye. That's my kind of luck. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
wink.gif

Polycarb lenses in my px glasses for shooting, but I never use to wear em while doing anything else. After two trips to the emergency room to have metal and fiberglass removed from my eyes, I now use them at all times.

Nothing sucks more than getting steel slivers in your eye, especially when you already own a pair of goggles but neglected to wear them. Incidentally I launched a dried chunk of pipe dope in my eye yesterday while cleaning some threads, some minor discomfort being a friendly although unwelcome reminder that eye protection is important. As I wrote this post I rubbed my eye after eating some spicy food, and now the red pepper has it on fire. Gotta go!

I certainly wear my eyes when doing any kind of machinework, and when shooting pistols. I've gotta admit, I pretty much don't wear them when I shoot my long range guns. They really bother me with glint, glare and image distorion.

Wouldn't fire up a machine without. At least they make bifocal ones now so I can see what I'm doing. Long ago got tired of digging stuff outa my eyes.

As one advances in age and the eyes aren't what they used to be, it brings home the point you only have two of 'em. So ya better look after em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 671RTO9513</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As one advances in age and the eyes aren't what they used to be, it brings home the point you only have two of 'em. So ya better look after em. </div></div>

Ears too !!
i cant tell you how many times ive seen guys go shoot with no protection because
"im only gonna fire a couple rounds"

That’s a bad ass pic J. When I turn on the lathe I’m wearing safety glasses. Thanks for sharing and reminding us why we need to always wear them.

About an hour into my first time using a lathe I caught a piece of hot metal (not as big as the one in the pic though) about half an inch below my eye. I wasn't wearing safety glasses.

It stuck in my face and probably would've blinded me if it hit my eye. I'm thankful I've learned my lesson early on.

I never approach a mill, lathe, gun being fired.....without eye protection.

Close one eye and walk around. See(ha) how that sucks?

My brother lost an eye from a ricocheting nail. Makes riding his Harley a bitch.

Blindness is like diamonds. Forever.

Dang James, glad you are alright, that could of been a bad.

When I was MUCH younger I was grinding without goggles. I got a metal sliver in my iris. It worked itself out after a visit to the ER but left a rust ring in my eye. It had to be drilled out. I was awake when they did it. Lots of fun.

I always wear safety glasses now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was awake when they did it. Lots of fun.
</div></div>

DAAMN.

They would've had to strap me down!

I always wear it - even if operating a dremmel, shooting a rifle.

You only get one set of eyes.

I can't say I always use glasses when operating a dremmel tool...some work I can do away from my face by feel. But most of the time I do. If I'm in a machine shop of any kind, of course...there is crap always flying off of someones machine.

I do always use them when doing yard work, especially when using a weed wacker. It's saved my eyes a few times.

Shooting? Pistols, always, Rifle on the bench, most of the time; Shotgun, always

I wear when operating any machinery, I was digging back hoe a few years back when a hydraulic line broke and blasted me with oil, so I wear if any chance even remote

One of my pards caught a piece of steel vertically across his eye lid. It opened up in 4 parts instead of 2 but did not get to his eye. He was screaming so odd that I thought he was kidding.....till I ran over to him. That was 15 years ago and since I have been to the hospital twice for embedded metal. I ALWAYS wear glasses in the shop, so does everyone who comes in my shop.

Dane and I are pretty religious about safety glasses when working on the lathe and shooting.

WOW thank God you were wearing those. This makes me think about using mine more often
smile.gif
I would like to see my little girls and wife a little while longer!

I now issue two pair of clear and one pair of shaded safety glasses to every person in my 80+ man fire department, every year.

Some of the guys tell me "hey, my glasses from last year are still GTG, no need for more"... I always reply "take em home and leave them lying on your mower, gun bench, machine tools, grinder, wire wheels... wherever...if they are handy, you might put them on."

I probably have two dozen pair laying all over my home shop.

We use Pyramex brand, the model is "venture 2"...cost around $2 ea in bulk

My eyes are pretty important to me, so I try to take good care of them. I am wearing safety glasses right now.

First time I pulled a trigger I was about 4 or 5, dad made me wear eye protection then, and it stuck with me. Don't think I have ever fired a round in almost 30 years of shooting w/o a pair of safety glasses on. Don't think I ever will.

Kelly

Now thats why I always have a pair of safety glasses near by.
Who knows what will happen next.
sobering pic.
Thanks for the reminder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My eyes are pretty important to me, so I try to take good care of them. I am wearing safety glasses right now.</div></div>

In case the computer screen explodes?

laugh.gif

I usually start out wearing them but end up taking them off because they give me a headache from distorting my vision.

Any recommendations for safety glasses that are clear enough to not distort view and durable enough to not scratch instantly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually start out wearing them but end up taking them off because they give me a headache from distorting my vision.

Any recommendations for safety glasses that are clear enough to not distort view and durable enough to not scratch instantly? </div></div>

I have the same problem and found these to work great , they are by AO Safety and model "Virtua" and are actualy realy cheap at only $4-$5 a pair from Home Depot or even cheaper on line, i keep several pairs all over and a couple in the wrapper in case they get scratched. they dont distort my vision and are very very light , i have some yellow and dark tinted ones as well for differant situations

even with them on I will sometimes get some metal in the eyes. I have a REAL strong neodymium magnet about as big as a half roll of quarters. When I am done grinding or whetever I will pass the magnet over my eyes close enough to touch my eyelashes. A couple of back and forths with the eyeballs and any steel or iron is sucked right the heck out. Kind of a wierd sensation when you have a larger piece in there pull right out.

It is essential tools in most toolboxes.

I got a sliver of metal in my eye that had to be drilled out. Guess what, I was wearing company issued safety glasses. My eyes were saved twice in 2 months when 22lr ammo went bonkers in 2 different pistols and it was 2 different manufacturers of ammo. Thats the kind of luck I have. I wear glasses about half the time when shooting a rifle, most of the time when shooting a pistol.

You are one lucky SOB. Hang those on your wall as a reminder.

I am the biggest wuss in the world when it comes to my eyes. I cant even do eye drops so having a piece of metal in my eye would be full torture and id probably rather die.

I always wear safety glasses when at the lathe or operating other power tools. I now have a pair of polycarbonate shooting glasses after taking a 9mm jacket to the thumb, which was right in front of my face.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">even with them on I will sometimes get some metal in the eyes. I have a REAL strong neodymium magnet about as big as a half roll of quarters. When I am done grinding or whetever I will pass the magnet over my eyes close enough to touch my eyelashes. A couple of back and forths with the eyeballs and any steel or iron is sucked right the heck out. Kind of a wierd sensation when you have a larger piece in there pull right out.

It is essential tools in most toolboxes. </div></div>

Yes in deed , i do the same thing , ill run it accross my face and through my hair when i dont wear a hat

don't know if it is true or not but i had a old timer tell me when i was young that your eyes are the only part of your body that cannot replace fluids ever since then i wear glasses i have even canceled shooting trips because i forgot them

I bought some Oakley Split Jackets about 2 years ago and they came with 2 lenses that you could change out rather quickly. I ordered the clear lenses right away and I wear them in the shop and sometimes on the range.

They have saved me from a number of nasty things.

That photo should be sent to the safety glass manufacturer. They could use in for their advertising.

s

I wear safety glasses for metalworking, woodworking, and shooting at the range.

I got an eye infection from 50mph wind in the high desert.
I got an eye infection from riding a bicycle in the rain.
I got hit in the eye by a bug while riding a bike.

I ride a bike 365 days a year of exercise, and I wear safety glasses every day.

I don't wear safety glasses while hunting.
There is too much switching between binoculars, range finder, rifle scope, and crawling around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Had a close call yesterday its one of those things i thank god i was wearing my PPE.
While hogging off some 4340 to make a set of guage blocks this chip shot up at seemingly faster than the speed of light and imbedded into my safety glasses , it was hot enough to melt and get stuck their.

I have no doubt that had i not been wearing my glases id now be blind in my right eye

Just some food for thought guys
safetyglasses.jpg
</div></div> Wow glad you're ok.

I used to hate wearing safety glasses, but i couldn't "see" losing my job for not wearing them. Now I wear them all the time, any time I operate power equipment, the lawn mower, reloading,...etc

glad your ok