• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How many honestly wear safety glasses

Re: How many honestly wear safety glasses

I always wear safety glasses, especially since a co-worker was running her weed eater without them and something flung into her eye. Later she had intense pain and went to the doctor only to find out she had a fungal infection from the object. Her left eye had to be removed and was replaced with a glass eye (it looks very very real). Although it looks very real, it sure doesn't function real.

Your eyes are too valuable to be left to chance. Safety glasses are too cheap to not wear. Amazing picture!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually start out wearing them but end up taking them off because they give me a headache from distorting my vision.

Any recommendations for safety glasses that are clear enough to not distort view and durable enough to not scratch instantly? </div></div>

I have the same problem and found these to work great , they are by AO Safety and model "Virtua" and are actualy realy cheap at only $4-$5 a pair from Home Depot or even cheaper on line, i keep several pairs all over and a couple in the wrapper in case they get scratched. they dont distort my vision and are very very light , i have some yellow and dark tinted ones as well for differant situations </div></div>

Thanks for the info. I will check them out....

I'll be honest, I don't always where them although I know I should.

About 10 years ago I got hit in the eye with a peach pit while weed wacking. About 3-4 hours later I was in serious pain. Went to the ER, they dug around and put a patch on it. The next day I was in such pain that I was willing to give up the eye if they could make the pain stop. Honest. Went the ER again, called my personal doctor while I was in there, he said to stop waiting and come see him. He looked all over the place and finally found the problem. Dead center was a spec embedded in the pupil area. That spec had been cutting the back side of my eyelid. Every move of my eye was scratching the back of my eyelid! He took some pics of it to show others what he had found. It was sticking straight out of my pupil, easily seen from the side but nearly impossible to see from straight on. I wear sunglasses while in the yard as standard. I don't always around the mill but I'm trying to get into the habit.

Great picture and will probably be the catalyst for me to wear them more often. Thanks!

mike

I don't wear glasses much and my wife is always on about it. After seeing that I think I'll take my wife's advice. Brian Brown.

Showed this pic to some Drs my wife works with one is an eye specialest (no I can spell it) andhe said that if it hit hard enough to stick in the glasses that it would have most likely gone though the eye , possibly completely !!!

I have oakleys in G30 and clear lenses. Too often with the dark lenses I found myself taking them off.

I have a close friend that just buried his 4 year old son. His son was standing back away from the shooting and a fragment came back and struck him in the eye and into his brain. Yes it was probably a one in a million incident but that does not bring anyone back. Sorry if this is a hijack.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/RIP-cinch-Machado/196570137072310

I always wear a full face shield when I'm on the mill or running the die grinder. It's more comfortable than my prescription safety glasses, and keeps anything from sneaking in around the lenses.

-matt

Also while using a chainsaw..full face shield

Read a pape once by Doyle Haines , MD who was I believe from Opalaca Alabama

"Chain Saw Injuries of the Face" Rather graphic pics from kickbacks....see these once and U will never fail to wear PPE again...

They issue MAGID safety glasses at my husbands work. There is almost no drawer you can open in our house and not find a pair, and there's at least one in every car, and on the lathe, drill press, saws. EVERYWHERE. I don't know how many times he's had stuff hit them. But he wears them. His dad spend a month in an eye patch. They don't pull stuff out of your eyes, they grind it out with a little dremel looking thing.

The $1.10 each GM spent on them is worth it.

I do we have to wear them permanently at work along with alot of other ppe equipment like gloves etc so it's second nature now took a bit to get used to though but if you see first hand a decent eye injury ull wear them too

Always...you only get one set of eyes...

I caught a piece of wood or splinter years ago and got lucky so I always wear them now!

I'm printing that pic out and posting here at work with no other info - it speaks for itself.

Wife's an ophthalmologist, so she is always yapping at me about wearing them so I do. I'm not allowed to have any bungee cords either. Thank god duct tape is relatively safe, she'd be taking that away too...

Anytime something with a motor (drill press, lathe, mill, grinder, sander, dremel) comes alive, I have my glasses on

Especially the Dremel, those things seem to fling little bits and pieces all around especially if you are using the grinding wheels or the wire brushes which fall apart.

I won't lie, I rarely wear glasses shooting unless they're required (qualification, matches, etc.) but I do when I'm using machinery. I make a few knives and one day I was grinding and didn't wear glasses. Thanks to a fit of temporary stupidity, that afternoon I was in the ER with a dr digging a piece of silver out of my eye. Yes, I was awake. Watching a needle come toward your eye is something you don't easily forget! I won't even go into the idiots I've seen using a cutting torch without cutting glasses....

I always wear my safety glasses in the shop regardless if I'm running machines or epoxy bedding a stock. I typically try to wear them while shooting but it does not always happen.

Last year I had a .22 LR AR-15 spit something back and hit me in the eye. I had to go to the emergency room and they picked out a small clear round object out of my eye. After that I always wore safety glasses while shooting.

Recently I had a case head separate while test firing another MFG's rifle and it blew back the bolt raceway and peppered my face really well. I was lucky to be wearing my eye protection, while my right ear is permanently damaged and I have bad ringing in it still, I will always wear my ears even when shooting with suppressors (like in this insistence)

Mark

I have to wear them where I work, if I don't I will get fired. I had a torx bit explode on me the other day while under a semi. While shooting I try to wear some sort of glasses whether they are sunglasses or safety glasses.

i wear glasses at work and try to remember to wear them when doing things at home like reloading or whenever i know shits a flyin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually start out wearing them but end up taking them off because they give me a headache from distorting my vision.

Any recommendations for safety glasses that are clear enough to not distort view and durable enough to not scratch instantly? </div></div>

Check out Rudy Project. They have some really nice shooting lenses available.

Always always always! I never know what is gonna come back. i spent to much money on Lasik to have something go boom and mess things up!

I wear Costa del Mar Tripletails anytime I'm doing anything outside. They're not safety glasses but they have saved me a couple times from various things.

I learned my lesson about putting glasses on before I start doing anything a few weeks ago. I was getting ready to do some work with the dremmel and spun it up to check it before I put my glasses on. First time its ever happened but the cutting wheel disintegrated at high rpm and slung a large piece into my eyelid. Came out with a small cut and what was almost a very expensive lesson.

I made the mistake of sandblasting (outdoors) without enough (just a hood, no goggles, or glasses) eye protection once....
I took a trip to the ER the next morning when I couldn't open my eyes... They put contact lenses in both eyes with a fixture to hook them both to their own I.V. bag... Flooded both eyes with two entire I.V. bags of saline... Talk about painful and torturous...

PPE is worth its weight in gold!!!