• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many mags per weapon...

Loaded mags are the necessary requirement for defensive fire.

Think of a big number and double it.

Yes, all loaded, all the time.

3 mags for every gun at the house or on person

8 mags for every gun in the car

12 mags for every gun at the way point and another 8 mags for every gun in the car

20 mags for every gun at the bunker fishing cabin plus belts

Last edited:
So, while Maggot was asking about how good GunMagWarehouse is, I was excited to learn that many of you have purchased many times from this vendor within the same year and I jokingly asked how many mags you guys need. And while that was a joke it does make me wonder how many mags people typically store for each weapon. I don’t mean for a load out on your plate carrier to larp around the basement. I mean how many do you think you should have stored long term for each weapon for whatever reason? So let’s here it. How many mags for say ARs/AKs, sub guns, pistols, bolt guns and so on?

I think most here have way more mags than what is needed. Kind of tough not to when they run deals on 100 mag cases for less than $10 a mag.

1688912265914.png

Reactions: doubloon
I run P-mags for 5.56, and metal mags for all the other AR calibers. Luckily, the 6.5 Grendel works just fine with the 7.62x39 mags. I simply have to color-code identify the mags for clarity. The wrong ammo in the wrong chamber is no bueno.

View attachment 8178960

Might double-check your work…..your system doesn’t seem to be working…..the one pictured far right doesn’t match.

Reactions: mtrmn and 91Eunozs
You can take a glance at just the tip and easily tell what caliber penetrator you’re dealing with. No need to rainbows all over everything you own.

I‘m in the process of making my stuff color-coded. It’s more for the kids than me, but it will help all of us.

Might double-check your work…..your system doesn’t seem to be working…..the one pictured far right doesn’t match.
Exactly.
Green on blue is wrong - and even my wife can spot it!

It really depends on the weapon and what you do with it.

Glock mags and AR15 mags for example, I have a bunch. I have no idea how many I have or where they even all are.

I can say 4-6 mags for other guns, the ones I do not shoot as much. I am ok with loading mags at the range,

2 isn't enough, right? maybe at 10 you can feel comfortable? (except AR15 mags and glock mags :D )

Somewhere between 2 and 10, except certain guns have more
If you competition shoot, you may need more as there is no time to reload mags.

I don't have fantasies of being in firefights where I need 20+ full mags ready to go

As many as needed. Comp guns a couple for each cal. Defensive/offensive guns depends on the level of fuck around intended or expected

That’s because you tried to move all of them in one trip. Too big a load and you capsized. I warned you about that.
You gotta know that there’s someone out there whose magazine collection would look like stacked pots on an Alaskan crab boat…

Reactions: lash
Reactions: 91Eunozs
When gun/mag prices returned to normal after the O'Bummer years (when mags were sky high priced and couldn't be found anywhere) I had a friend say fuck mag shortages and he bought this 100 pmag package

and he bought about 50 glock mags around the same time, and yes he has money to burn like that so he didn't care. I don't think he has opened the packages yet :D

I sold about 50 30 round milspecs during the AWB. Don't remember how much, but I think $80 per. Guys were begging to buy.

AR mags? About 50 is reasonable. 30 rounders. I only have a couple 60s, 40s, and 10s for novelty purposes.

Pistols I default to 10 per gun. Standard and extra capacity.

Aics, I only ever need 2, so 5 is fine for now. I'll get up to 10 eventually as I catch them on sale and buy 2 here and there.

As my Dad starts handing down things with unobtainable magazines, I'm realizing I'd rather leave the kids with 20+ mags for every gun.

Anyone have any 10 round izmash 22lr mags for less than $300 each? Damn rifle was only $280 with 1, 10 and 1, 5 round.

Handguns I keep 3 mags for. Semi auto rifles I keep 7 mags for. Not sure I need more than I can carry or run with but was told once that we never really own anything we can't carry. It's just more stuff to leave behind.

VooDoo

Yes.

However, if you're using things they wear out. I'd rather have my own shelf of consumables than be trying to farmer fix that mag with a broken spring or feed lip.

Maybe the best rule of thumb is enough for your kit/go bag and extras for practice?

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Maybe. I'll be dead before I wear out or break enough stuff to screw me over.....for guys that shoot a lot they should probably have extras. I don't shoot enough anymore to justify leaving more magazines to my Nephews in the next 20 - 30 years.

VooDoo

I am also behind enemy lines, and when we had Freedom Week, I bought a large amount. Fortunately many of my guns use the same mags, AR15 style or Sig classic and P320, which reduces need for many different types. Overall I am at well over 200 mags, and many are "pre-ban", which as some advantages depending on the state.

Every time Obama talked about more gun control, he cost me a lot of money. However if the SHTF, and am reasonably well prepared.