• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many of you "actually" shoot 500yds+ often?

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    Well i have to admit I have been reading a fair amount of posts with advice on long range shooting which is a true passion of mine. I find some of what i have read doesn't seem very realistic. So i thought to myself how many of the guys are speaking from what they have read and how many of them are speaking for first hand field experience. For me i have to drive at least 1.5hrs just to get to a spot to shoot 500yds. My local range 3 miles from my house is only 200yds so i only go there for intial load testing.

Here's the honest truth from me, i would love to shoot 500yds+ every weekend but i have a wife and 2 young daughters so its just not going to happen. I make a point to go out at least once or twice a month, but honestly thats as much as i can get without having my wife want to divorce me. So i would say somewhere between 20-30 times a year i practice long range and in true field conditions.

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">SO HOW MANY TIMES A YEAR DO YOU SHOOT 500YDS OR LONGER?</span></span>

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">PLEASE only post in this thread if you have actually shot a minimum of 500yds, and please be honest!!!</span></span>

Re: How many of you "actually" shoot 500yds+ often?

I'm lucky enough to have a 1000+ yard range in my front yard so pretty much every time I go shooting I get to. Some years I get to do more than others of course. Usually I manage at least 20 times a year I should think.

In Maine there are only a few longer ranges, and even then, 600 yards is the max, and they have strict rules (one only is open a day or two a week, the other requires you to have a shooting partner with you.)Plus, both are in exess of an hour drive from my house.

Luckily, I met a sympathetic landowner who has a good sized bit of property, about 10 minutes from me. He lets me shoot there whenever I want, and I even keep my steel targets setup there.

Max distance we have shot there is 1075 yards, but I'm pretty sure if I changed the setup of my targets, I could stretch out to 1300 or so.

I have been shooting there an average of once a week. Sometimes 3 days or more though. I feel very fortunate to have such a great opportunity though.

We just had a new 1k yard range built about 1/2 hour from where I live, open to the public and I usually try to get out there once a month. Before it was here, I had to drive 2 hours to use a private range for matches only..

Our local private range here in birmingham (scssa) goes out to just over 500 with a longer one under construction. Most of us birmingham guys that are reguler posters shoot there a lot. Sometimes multiple times a week. Its only about 20-30 min from me depending on traffic, guys like JRose and HDC Deadly are even closer. Most of us also participate in the monthly "tactical" shoots and F class matches there when we can.

I am fortunate to have 2 kick-ass ranges within 1 1/2 hours driving distance ...... Rayner's Range and Thunder Valley Precision. Rayner's goes out to 1k and TVP has targets out to 1 mile, but the typical TVP intimidator match goes to 1165 with a 1650 bonus target.

I guess the answer to your question is about twice a month.

650 yard range 20 minutes from the house. One monthly match has a target at 875 and a practice target at 940. One monthly match 505 yd targets. One monthly match 425 yd targets. One monthly match 547 yd targets. Guess I'll consider myself lucky.

I'm lucky too, I hop on the 4 wheeler, ride over the hill so the neighbors don't have to hear me, and have steel set up from 100 to 600 yards. slight grade, but its all about wind here in Nebraska

Eastern Nebraska Gun Club in Louisville, NE, about 18 mi south of Omaha. Longest range is 600 yd (625 if you stretch it), which I shoot probably 8 trips out of 10.

Edited to add: usually go from 4-8 times per month.

most weds. of every week...Lodi Wi... weather permitting...about 12 of us shoot.... today we were at 1000yd. line....what a trip.
    bill larson

I'm in the same boat as popgunz. Just jump on the four wheeler and go about a half a mile if that and I have targets out to 2000 yards. The winters are pretty cold in WY so shooting slows down a bit from about November to April. I try to get out and shoot every day weather its the .22 at shorter range or out ruining a few prairie dogs day out to 350 or so. Once the prairie doggin is done I usually break out the bigger stuff and stretch my legs a little. So to make a long story short I would say with winter months included, about once a week average and probably 2-3 times a week in the summer. Pretty nice having a range basically in the back yard.

I honestly don't bother shooting any closer than 400 for Ladder tesing, then its right off to the 600 yrd line which is as far as the closest club to me will go. But I've found another that can reach 1000 to a mile but is a drive.
    I shoot F-Class with a bi-pod but in the open division and can hold my own! I only care about small groups and staying in the X-Ring, banging steel doesn't do it for me really. I'm at the range at least twice a week and bring 3-4 rifles everytime...my wife could care less..perhaps she has a boyfriend!! LOL

I wish I was a lucky as you for being able to shoot that much. Here in idaho I also have to travel to shoot past 500 yds. I would say I shoot past 500 yds around 5 to 6 times a year.

I'm in the same boat as the OP with 2 little boys. I try to go twice a month and everytime I go I shoot to at least 6 sometimes 800 yards. The only thing is where I shoot the range is only set up for 300 so for everything further I'm walking past the line and having to find spots through the sage brush and cactus that I can still see the target. So for me a trip to the rage is an all night ordeal, and I hope they get the soon to be 1,000 yd range plowed down soon. I'd give my left nut to be able to shoot to a grand in my front yard.

I have a 500 yard range within 10 minutes. I shoot there fairly often. About 3 or 4 times a year I go to the 1000yrd range and shoot.
    I shoot rimfires at 100 to 150 at my house all the time.

took a camper off a lease two weeks ago......a hog died at 500yd or so before we launched for home.......at the edge of the caprock

I have a place where I can shoot 500 yards max but it is remote and isolated and gets pretty grown up in the summer. I try to shoot there once or twice a month in the winter.

The rest of the year, I am limited to 300 yrds.

I would really like a chance to shoot out to a 1000 but have not been able to find a place close enough.

I set up my gong at 500 yards which I try and shoot each time I go out. Try to get out 1 time per month at least. Hoping to extend the range out farther eventually.

Up until the last month, every week, we've had some water problems down here in the Memphis Area.

My personal range is 10 min from where I currently live. Farthest right now is 700. It will soon be out to 1000 and I'm building my house 1/4 mile from it next year.

I figure I'm lucky as 20 minutes from home the range that has steel at 100 yard increments to 700 yards plus one at 750 for good measure. It seems all I end up shooting is 600, 700 and 750 yards anymore.

RT

I'm lucky to live in Idaho where I have plenty of options to get out past 500 yards. My club has targets to 730 yards on the "main" rifle range and we have targets set up to where we can get to 2000 yards if we want.

This weekend we have a "1 mile shoot" and last month we went off site and up into the hills where we shot MGM and other steel targets out across canyons and out to 1300 yards.

I would say that I average between 12 to 20 times a year where I'm shooting past 500 yards. I shoot more at ranges less than 500.

Great fun!

My buddy has a range at his place with targets out to 2K. fifteen minutes from my house.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pretty much every Saturday</div></div>

well that certainly doesn't suprise me!!!

4-5 times a week, sometimes daily. My target start at 650 and go out to 1k. Only time I shoot at 100 is to breakin customers rifles and check zero's every once in awhile. Otherwise, its always 500+. You just need to move out of the city Scott!

Up until about a year ago I shot 2-3 times a week. Nowdays I shoot for every other week. I have a 600 yard range right from my reloading room. The 100 and 300 yd are lighted for shooting at night. The thing is I have a little over an hours drive to get here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4-5 times a week, sometimes daily. My target start at 650 and go out to 1k. Only time I shoot at 100 is to breakin customers rifles and check zero's every once in awhile. Otherwise, its always 500+. You just need to move out of the city Scott!</div></div>

Hey i don't live in the city, i live on an island. The town I live in only has 3000 people in it. The rich retired people aren't real keen on shooting right next to the beach houses.

Whoops...forgot you were on the island! Your probably right though, they wouldn't approve of that for sure.

Every week me and a couple of other Tango Dropper Hide members shoot at the 600 yard line. The only other time we go short at 100 is either to zero a scope or to do some load testing. And even then, we also load test at 300 and 600. Every once in a while we head out to the 1k yard range about 10 minutes from my house. And as big as TX is, it's hard to fine a lot of land to shoot on in the Eastern part of Texas as most of it is privately owned. Hopefully in a couple of months I get to go to CO and shoot out to a mile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">took a camper off a lease two weeks ago......a hog died at 500yd or so before we launched for home.......at the edge of the caprock</div></div>

oh.....forgot, i get to shoot down a friends runway into a bern set up at the far end, got some steel and paper there......mostly at 875, could go to 1500 or so....

Usually a couple times a month.There's a place 10 minutes from me out in the FS.We can stretch it out to 1100Y if needed but I have to hike a steel up a cinder hill.The 1000Y berm is off,it's only 985Y.Then there's 600,400,300,200 berms.

About 1/2 an hour there's a place to shoot 2 miles.So far 2500Y is as far as I've shot.I'll go out about every couple months for some ELR with the 375CT and 30-375R.

At the Azprc we shoot out to 1040Y.Close to half the shots are past 500Y.

At the place that I shoot I have the range from 100 to 1 mile so nearly every time we shoot there will be shots taken from beyond 500 yards. The only time we don't is when we go to shoot some clays with the shotguns.

i don't even shoot. i just pull my rifles out of the safe once and a while for pictures to post on the net.

People here shoot?! I just repost stuff I read.

Honestly? Every once in a while.......

Maybe once a month, twice at the most. I have to drive 1 1/2 hrs to get 550. I shoot on family land, but like yesterday the field I shoot in was too grow up to shoot in. I just shot groups at 100 yards and turtles in the pond. I get really stoked looking at pictures on here at peoples awesome ranges and end up buying gear but never really getting to use it that much, there are some days that I consider selling off my rifles because there arnt any long ranges within 2 hrs of me. There is talk of a 1000 yard private range being built 1 hour from me and if I can afford the dues I will join.

I see pictures of people and their ranges and get excited but I eventually am disappointed because on the east coast this sport/hobby is almost impossible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i don't even shoot. i just pull my rifles out of the safe once and a while for pictures to post on the net. </div></div>

I know some people like that.

Have the farm so plenty of places to shoot. Still haven't shot to 500, not with my rifle anyway. This summer i'm going to try to get more shooting done but humidity down here makes shooting pretty miserable, sit there sweat and the listen to the mosquitos buzz and bit the hell out of you.

I have a range about 3 min from the house then there is some public hunting land about 20 min away depending on road conditions(logging road) so I go there a couple times a month and it goes past 1200 but I havent went past 500 yet.

Have a 1200 yard range about 5 minutes from the shop. I shoot about 2000 rounds a year at 800,900 and 1000 yards, and about 75 rounds at 1200 yards.

Kyle
    Brux Barrels

I try to get out to the range and shoot 600yd once a week.i will take 2 or 3 different rifles and shoot 50-100 rounds.

i need to start shooting further but its hard to find a safe spot in western wa that you can get a 1000yd+

Weather permitting I shoot 1000 every 1st sunday and 600 every other 3rd sunday. I live within 40 min of 1000 and 20 min of 600. Belong to both clubs, have combinations to both gates. F Class 60 round matches. 800 to 1200 rounds a year all beyond 500 yds.

Paul

I can only shoot to 720 yds at a range 25 min from the house but i shoot out to that distance 5-6 times a month.

600 yards is as far as I can go on the range I have. I shoot from 100 - 600 6-8 times a month. A friend is just completing his 1000 yard range so that will open it up a little. Ah the advantages of living in wide open country...