• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many of you "actually" shoot 500yds+ often?

Re: How many of you "actually" shoot 500yds+ often?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am fortunate to have 2 kick-ass ranges within 1 1/2 hours driving distance ...... Rayner's Range and Thunder Valley Precision. Rayner's goes out to 1k and TVP has targets out to 1 mile, but the typical TVP intimidator match goes to 1165 with a 1650 bonus target.

I guess the answer to your question is about twice a month. </div></div>

I'm in the same boat (and a lot of times, the same vehicle). 3 times a month max. 10 or 11 months a year.

I shoot as many Fclass match a year as possible, so right around 20ish match from 500 to 1000yds plus practice at local range but only 200 max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People here shoot?! I just repost stuff I read.

Honestly? Every once in a while.......
</div></div>

That is actually the reason i started this thread, so that i could see which guys i should actually listen to there advice. I am only interested in opinions of guys that are actually doing it and not just reading/talking about it.

Once or twice a month at 500 yards so about 100-150 rounds a month. 3 or 4 times a year longer.

Ain't gonna brag about how far/how often, but here's my youngest boy, two years ago, his first time at 500+.

I won't make mention of the wind here, or that he's shooting wrong handed.

We shoot, just a little bit.........

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1aLDnpAFWsg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1aLDnpAFWsg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

2 or 3 days a week.

I try and make a match and practice day (out to 1k) monthly. So twice a month. Other than that, its 300 a few times a month.

I looked at my log book, 500 or greater 18 times in last 7 months.

I also have a range at the house with the farthest target at 2k. The core of my shooting is done from 400 to 1000 similar to the shoots I have been to. Targets are 1 moa relative to distance steel plates. Shot laying on my nuts off a bipod. I do try to shoot at least 5 times a week. I am a hunter not an operator. I do have a challenge that's called 3 for 3 at a G that's 3 three shots at three targets 8x10" 8x8" and a 4x7" at 1000 yards. No spotting shots.

I shoot to 678 yards 2-3 times a month.

Unfortunately, I usually only shoot out to 400yards max except for the Hardrock 1000yard Competition held merely once a month. So, I've only got to shoot 1000yards twice with much more to come, but I typically shoot 400yards...but my shooting partner and I are in the process of trying to extend his property out to 500yards.
smile.gif

Once or twice a month depending on my schedule. I begin at 250 then move out to 500 and 750. At least 60 rounds each trip. The range goes to 1000 but I don't get out that far, yet.

OP, we live in a similar world, My 1000 yard range is 1 hour 20 minutes from my driveway. I can shoot to 100-300 any time of my choosing. So I run to the 1000 range about every other week and shoot shorter whenever the mood hits. But it does help having a rotating shift with days off during the week. I just can’t shoot matches because of the rotation unless they line up with off days, which is rare. The 8+ hour one way drive is another factor...

Used to go 2 times a month regularly until January lost access to the 720 yd range now 100-200 trying to get access to another spot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ain't gonna brag about how far/how often, but here's my youngest boy, two years ago, his first time at 500+.

I won't make mention of the wind here, or that he's shooting wrong handed.

We shoot, just a little bit.........
</div></div>

Awesome video Trip. "Wanna do it again?" "Uh Huh"-classic. Good stuff.

My uncle has a 600 yard range just down the road on his 80 acres. So I get there a lot in the spring/summer/fall. We shoot from a slightly elevated spot of dirt under cover of trees into a big field. I go there between 3 to 4 times a month.

I got a spot about 30 min from my house in a clear cut that's 800 to one spot and another one that appears to be about 1700 my LRF won't range that far. There's also the upper nisqually gun club in eatonville that's about an hour away. I need to get out to elma and shoot out there. I shoot about 2-3 times a month which is not as much as I like. I try not to give long distance shooting advice though. It'd be like the blind leading the blind!

Out in my area it is hard to find ranges that allow you to shoot too much distance so consequently I haven't shot out to very great distances recently. With my new Nemesis Arms rifle on the way I'm hoping to find some good BLM land to shoot at greater distances. But then again i don't pretend that I know anything:)

Once a week depending if its the range or the farm I shoot .The farm starts at 340yards then 430 -500 out to 700 I try to shoot as many distances as I can make depending on tree growth .

The NRA range I shoot starts at 300 and ends at 1000 yards , we shoot the 3-5 600 yards often and the 1000 about 4-5 times in the season , its not enough as I love it .

500 yards?? I didn't know a bullet could go that far...

I run the 600 yard F-Class matches at my club every month (3rd sunday every month); we shoot a palma practice (800, 900, and 1,000 yards) every month (second sunday), and we shoot a dedicated 1,000 yard match 4X a year (5th sunday). I go to the desert at least 4 or 5 times a year to shoot mile (1,760 yards) and longer. so I get beyond 500 yards pretty often.

JeffVN

I have to drive too but once the bug bites you can't stop. I run a business so I can't do it every weekend but I have access to a 225 yard range for practice. I flatly refuse to shoot at 100 yds except to dope a new optic/stick. I'm still working out the bugs in my schedule but I can typically pull it off at least once per month out to 850 and soon to be 1200 maybe 4-6 times per year.

I've got a 1200yd range built on my land....so I try to get out and shoot distance 3-7 times a week. I've got a very demanding job and family so I don't get to shoot as much as I want too....

I read the posts here and feel sorry for some of you. I have a 300 yard range at the house, and within minutes can shoot out to 1000. 500 yards or more, 30% of the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well i have to admit I have been reading a fair amount of posts with advice on long range shooting which is a true passion of mine. I find some of what i have read doesn't seem very realistic. So i thought to myself how many of the guys are speaking from what they have read and how many of them are speaking for first hand field experience. For me i have to drive at least 1.5hrs just to get to a spot to shoot 500yds. My local range 3 miles from my house is only 200yds so i only go there for intial load testing.

Here's the honest truth from me, i would love to shoot 500yds+ every weekend but i have a wife and 2 young daughters so its just not going to happen. I make a point to go out at least once or twice a month, but honestly thats as much as i can get without having my wife want to divorce me. So i would say somewhere between 20-30 times a year i practice long range and in true field conditions.

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">SO HOW MANY TIMES A YEAR DO YOU SHOOT 500YDS OR LONGER?</span></span>

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">PLEASE only post in this thread if you have actually shot a minimum of 500yds, and please be honest!!!</span></span></div></div>

I'm on a lease that's set up just for shooting. Many DFWers know what I'm talking about. It has gongs set up and 400 yards, and If no one is around I can move back to 650 yards. I go shooting at it once a week. Most of the time no one is around so I move back to 650 now that I've found the spot. So I'd say I regularly shoot at 400 and when ever I get the chance I shoot further. Friday I'm going to Top Gun which is a 500 yard range. Next Saturday I'm going to 3 mills and will be able to shoot out to 1000. I'm pretty excited about that.

TL;DR

Yes

PS

I know what you mean. I hear a lot of talk ( and i'm a noob to this) about shooting this and that. I always say.. .well let's go try that hahaha.

We try to shoot at topgun at least twice a month. Haven't found any place close that we can shoot past 500

Just PCS'd and found a 600 yard range in the area. When I was in Cali it was rare to shoot past 300.

Josh

Bi-weekly, I have a place close to the house that I can shoot anytime.

On average twice a month at distances of 600 yds or farther.

On a 5 year average about 1-2 times a month. I cut my teeth on NRA Highpower in which I shot 2-3 times a month on a 600 yard course. Now it's precision rifle with plates out to 890 yards. Wind reading is wind reading, no matter if it's irons or optics.

I am very lucky also. I live in centeral South Dakota and have a good friend who lives 8 miles out of town and lets me shoot on his land.

I have my own range set up with steel from 550 to 1000yds and have target backers for carboard set up from 400 to 1200yds. I use paper plates on the backers to shoot at. They make great targets.

I try to shoot at least a couple of times a week in the summer. My only problem now is there is a low area just past the 400yd line that is still wet so I can't drive through it. However I can shoot on the south end of his place and can still shoot out to 900 down there. The only problem is when your shooting east the sun can be a problem in the morning.

I also have plenty of wind to shoot in but what makes it bad around here is its hardly ever a steady wind its usually gusting and seems to always want to change directions at a whim!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People here shoot?! I just repost stuff I read.

</div></div>

That is actually the reason i started this thread, so that i could see which guys i should actually listen to there advice. I am only interested in opinions of guys that are actually doing it and not just reading/talking about it. </div></div>

grin.gif

3X/mo >500 is a safe conservative estimate.

Now the question is, at 500, how many are actually shooting support side, or unsupported prone, seated, off barricades etc?

The only time I shoot off a bench is over my buddies chrono, and I hate it then.

My avatar is shooting through a set of stairs and I think I'm engaging a 1/2 IPSC at 680. Pretty sure the drill was 3 targets (660, 680 and 710) off any of three different stairs, can't use the same spot twice, 45 sec par time, starting port arms.
Shooting from a bench does nothing to help with stuff like that, I'm sure most any that shoot precision matches every once in a while do the same kind of stuff.

Palma practice is great during the cooler months for getting dope and wind play.

A couple times a month out to 600. We have up to 900 available; we're working up to it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O1bnl8470V0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O1bnl8470V0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

My club (ORSA) has a club 1000 shoot every Monday afternoon. During the week I try to get out to shoot at 600 from time to time; however, no steel, only regulation NRA HP target stands so if you don't have a buddy to work the pits it isn't very doable

Shooting the F/TR in the match there this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People here shoot?! I just repost stuff I read.

</div></div>

That is actually the reason i started this thread, so that i could see which guys i should actually listen to there advice. I am only interested in opinions of guys that are actually doing it and not just reading/talking about it. </div></div>

grin.gif

3X/mo >500 is a safe conservative estimate.

Now the question is, at 500, how many are actually shooting support side, or unsupported prone, seated, off barricades etc?

</div></div>

Right now just prone or off a bench. still trying to figure a few things out. 500 to 600 not to bad after 600 I look foolish some days. Still learning. Most of the time I go I let me 12yr old son do most the shooting as I only go on weekends I have him. He loves to shoot but not reload so much, so thats my job lol.

7 months out of the year I have a 1 mile long range in my backyard. The other 5 months out of the year, it is planted to either corn or soybeans.
cry.gif

I travel one and a half hours to my mates place once every 3 weeks. From my current shooting spot I get 850 metres. If I shuffle the targets around I can get 1083 metres or if I move my shooting spot that will get me 1010 metres. I drag my nuts on the ground, I practice useing the trees, fence and shooting sticks for support, admittedley from 300 to 500m. Anything futher, off the bipod. Have to say, it's bloody hard reading the wind with no range flags.

our local range has steel at 600 & 700 , nice rock at 950 and can set steel out as far as my rangefinder can range
smile.gif
, so about 1/2 the time i'm shooting 600+ (got to play with the 22lr, shotgun, pistol 1/2 of the time)

min 2 times a month, 6 times a month if i'm getting ready for match (spring & Summer)

90% prone, (22lr is ggood for practicing offhand stuff)

Depending on work schedule, every weekend.

I like practicing up to 300 yards personally. A 500+ yard shot is mainly for fun to most casual shooters. It's not really practical. And until I'm getting smaller groups out to 3 yards I don't have any pressure to be shootin that far

Father n law owns land that I built a range on, has 750 yards. Having to commute an hour to work one way, a 4 year old and a 21 month old, I dont get to go out as much as i'd like but usually 2 times a month at that distance, and 4 times a month at pistol distances (farm 15 mins away)

Most of the time i set up targets across the feild and practice mil ranging for unkown distance

I have two places I can shoot both allow me to shoot up to one mile. The one is a road that ends in a bluff for a perfect bullet stop. The bad part of this is I can really only shoot in one direction. The other is a big grazing field. Kind of a valley. It is not every deep maybe 50 feet but it is about a full section. So from corner to corner I can shoot at the most. There are a few directions I can not shoot. Darn non-armored houses. My brother and I go shooting every Tuesday evening after I get done with work. We only stop when it gets dark too soon in the winter. I will still go on weekends and he will go during the weekdays. My shooting is at rocks or steel. I do not need to make tiny groups on paper as deer will not give sighter rounds. I have to use first round hits. I would think 99% of all my rounds put down range are at steel or rocks.

I would think we shoot over 800 35times together and I normally make it 15 or so extra times during the weekends. I am so lucky that my Girlfriend likes shooting. Granted she just shoots a 22lr and belongs to the “sights are for losers” club. She knows how to shoot but has more fun shooting like Rambo does. Yes I am shaking my head right now.

I am becoming a snob about long range shooting. It physically makes me sick when I have to go to the 100yd range to do anything. There are far too many hunters at the range telling me about how they took a (insert lie here) yd shot at a game animal and dropped it. When looking at their group (pattern) I highly doubt they took a shot 20% of the distance they claimed they shot. The best local 100yd range used to be a 100/200 yd range but they took that down because there was only about three of us who would use that side. Now when I go there to help my friends sight a hunting rifle in they ask “Aren’t you going to shoot? No why waste my ammo. I know my rifle is sighted in. Of course they talk trash. Most of the time I just do not shoot but on occasion I will take a shot with my pistol I always have one me at 100 or if I want to show off I will get out my rifle and tell them what rock I am going to shoot at. Always at the far old berm and then take the shot off hand. It never fails someone will say I am showing off. I just tell them that is what happens when you actually practice the correct way. I fire many hundreds of rounds every year to stay as good as I am and there are others who are much better than I am. A hunter will always come back and say I get my deer every year. So I have to tell them I also get my deer every year but do it near or over the 1,000yd mark. I also shoot a bunch of deer that hunters wound. They always have something dumb to say after that comment.

In the winter the light holds me back from shooting like I do in the summer (after work, straight to the range for a couple hours, 3 days a week).

I belong to a 600yd club and I average about 60 times a year, a long time for me to go without shooting is 10 days on average.

I shoot past 1000yd about 20 times a year based upon matches and practice days at a couple of places.

I shoot to 600, at night, about twice a month.

I heard of a guy that has an awesome range north of Billings MT. 8 sections of property all set up with targets as a walk/atv course in the Bull Mountains. Hope he puts a shoot together. Wish I had access like that.

I have a spot about 5-10 minutes from the house that is good out to about 600 yards, another good to 1,000 against a sand bank about 10 minutes out, and I've shot to 1,300 about 15 minutes from the house. I shoot handguns, trap, rimfires, and we do some deer rifle practice (out to 300) so the 500+ work is limited to around once or twice a month on the average, mostly focused in the spring and fall between skiing and flyfishing.

I have not shoot past 200 yards since I was in the Marines.
frown.gif