• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many of you "actually" shoot 500yds+ often?

Re: How many of you "actually" shoot 500yds+ often?

Depending on what is planted and what time of year it is, usually have targets from 100 to 900, every 50 yd. out to 500, then every 100. Short stuff is for 3 gun practice, and the longer is for F-class and UKD steel match practice. Closest right now is 350 as it's getting close to wheat harvest and I pulled them a couple weeks ago. Range is behind the house so when I have time I shoot, at least twice a week.

Every other week, at least. I have up to 600 as of now where I work, about 10 minutes away. Need to talk to the neighbors and see if they would let me put up a target 1000.

i am lucky, i can go out almost when ever i feel like it, im living on a farm only a few hours from melbourne and have a 100>300 yard range and a 300 > 1000 range in a different paddock only 2 min up the road. its on the coast so the wind is always fun 15 > 40 kmph are frequent (10 / 25 mph)

mostly just shoot up into the sand dunes, but i can put a gong out up to 600 yards

My deer camp is an hour away so I don't get to shoot as much as I would like BUT I have a 1200yd range there. It runs through a pine plantation so it has very little wind. The turkey hunters make spring shooting difficult. They complain way too much!! I have a good solid burm to shoot but have to move the bench up and down the road to adjust distance. There are some distances that you can shoot prone ohters require the use of the bench so you can see over the rises in the road. I would say that I get to do the long range thing 8 to 10 times a year just because it is an hour away.

Typically I shoot 500+ yards once or twice a month. I am lucky enough to live within a hour of some property that gives me access to 2000+ yards of shooting fun.

Depending on who I go with to the range there is either a 600 yd berm or steel out to 500. I try to shoot those every time I go, depending on what I brought out. Since I can only go as a guest to those it limits my time, probably 2-3 times a month now.

Staked out my own range in the grasslands to 1000 yards and have been shooting that about once a week.

Except for a Service Rifle match years ago, I just started shooting 600yds this April. A group of the guys I shoot Winter SmallBore with, practice 600yd High Power / F-Class every Tuesday. Next Tuesday will be my second outing at 600yds. Otherwise my local range runs out to a lasered 211yds.

once a week on wensday our club has a 300 and 600 yd shoot also they have some type of shoot 2 or 3 weekends a month from 200-600

I shoot +600 yards every week or so. I'm very fortunate to live 12 minutes from a 1K range.

Last Sunday I got to sneak away and shoot some. It was me 2 buddies and one of them's wife. I re zeroed the 338RUM @100 yards since It was taken apart and painted. I got her dialed in on 3 shots. I reset the turrets. I ask Heather my buddy’s wife if she wanted to shot it. She about sat on me as she sat down so fast. She WANTED to shoot it. I told her to shoot it at 100 and see how it is. She pulled one off and dead zero. She had a big’ol grin on her face. I watched and the recoil was pretty stiff on that one. I ask if she wanted to shot again, she looked me in the eye and said "Umm yeah!!!". I said okay lets move to the 200 yard target and test some drop charts so I can spot where they hit. I dialed it in and boom,Dead center of the plate. So far so good. I moved her over to the 300 yard and dialed up the scope and boom. Another dead center!! . I looked at her and said “what’s the farthest you have ever shot anything?" she said 100 yards and this big smile was on her face. I said okay cool you have beat that so far today but let’s move out to the 550yard target. she said OKAY.. No problem. I dial the dope in for the 300gr Berger at 2655FPS to hit the steel. She touched it off and I be dammed if she didn't hit 1 inch right of the dead center of the plate. I had her fire 4 more off and she shot a 1 3/4 to 2 inch 5 shot ( splat) group at 550yards. The size was hard to get the tape on as the steel was eaten up from other shooting days. She did ask if she could buy the rifle from me before we left for the day. This was all on film from her shooting the first to the last shot and looking at her once in a life time 550yard group. When my editing program finally shows up I’ll post the video of it. It was an awesome day. We also was shooting a 17REM at 550. Talk about a pain to get to hit. A bird fart can move it 2 feet at 400 yards.

I also told her this was a once in a life time 550yard group being that tight. As most minor league shooters like myself dream of a group like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mhael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out in my area it is hard to find ranges that allow you to shoot too much distance so consequently I haven't shot out to very great distances recently. With my new Nemesis Arms rifle on the way I'm hoping to find some good BLM land to shoot at greater distances. But then again i don't pretend that I know anything:) </div></div>

It's a bit of a drive for you but you should come up and shoot with us at Angeles Shooting Range. Let me know when and I'll meet you at the range for some work at 600+ yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well i have to admit I have been reading a fair amount of posts with advice on long range shooting which is a true passion of mine. I find some of what i have read doesn't seem very realistic. So i thought to myself how many of the guys are speaking from what they have read and how many of them are speaking for first hand field experience. For me i have to drive at least 1.5hrs just to get to a spot to shoot 500yds. My local range 3 miles from my house is only 200yds so i only go there for intial load testing.

Here's the honest truth from me, i would love to shoot 500yds+ every weekend but i have a wife and 2 young daughters so its just not going to happen. I make a point to go out at least once or twice a month, but honestly thats as much as i can get without having my wife want to divorce me. So i would say somewhere between 20-30 times a year i practice long range and in true field conditions.

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">SO HOW MANY TIMES A YEAR DO YOU SHOOT 500YDS OR LONGER?</span></span>

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">PLEASE only post in this thread if you have actually shot a minimum of 500yds, and please be honest!!!</span></span> </div></div>

Send-It,

Here in southern California where they are closing up gun shops and places to shoot indoors and out faster than California Senators and Congress persons are getting CCW permits while legislating CCWs out of existance for law abiding citizens it's pretty tough going for shooters. Thankfully we have Angeles Shooting Range to shoot paper to 300 yards and steel out to 600 yards. Of course unoffically there are some really nice 5" to 6" rocks at 975 yards on the slash we sometimes reach out and touch when bored ringing the 600 yard steel.

But anywho to answer your question, every time I go shoot at ASR which is somewhere between two and six times a month depending on who is going and what else I'm doing during the week. But sometimes I get caught up on the handgun range and just shoot pistols.

HTH!

My range goes out to 700y currently... I rarely shoot less than 400y. 600 and beyond is still a pretty decent challenge for me so I am spending the most time at 600+ And I'm still trying different ammo's and always collecting dope for my setup at different distances.

We have a range w/targets out to 1000 yds. Rarely does a week go by when I don't get out and shoot a few rounds.

As often as I can. I have steel set up at 500, 620, and 838. Hard part is spotting shots in heavy wind.

Spotters are an enormous benefit.

BMT

I have 505 yard range at my house, 15 seconds out my back door. I shoot 500 yards pretty darn often...a few times a week at least. I have 3 inch steel that offers the most challenge now, the 6, 12 and 15 inch targets only get shot whan I have friends over to shoot. Even the 3 inch spinner is a pretty easy shot when its calm. I have shot 1000 yards many many times and shot 1300-1500 a few dozen times. I do wish I could shoot to at least 1000 yards more often.

I shoot at least to 625yrds every time I go to my own spot (about 2x's a month). When I compete (1x a month) it's usually 0-700yrds with a few that run to 1k so thats when I shoot the farthest. Before I began to shoot at local competitions I pretty much just hunted, white tail deer here in Arizona to be specific. The first 2 deer I killed were just over 600yrds, 610-620yrds so I made it a point to be able to hit a 625yrd/ MOA size target when I went out. I started shooting from 100-300yrds max while starting out with a factory Remington m700 30-06 and a redfield widefield scope then went to 400-500max then began to realize 600-700yrds wasnt out of the question any more and I had a spot that offered the distance and so I began to shoot farther than 500yrds on a regular basis.

I shoot Mid-Range Prone, at 300, 500 & 600 yards once a month, from April until August and I shoot Long Range Prone, one 2 day weekend, 800, 900 & 1000 the first day and 3 times at 1000 the second day, in June July and sometimes August. I use a .223 Spacegun for the Mid-Range, and do fairly well, took 2nd in last years regional, behind an All-Guard shooter who shot 591-29X to my 591-26X, and last month I won with 397-19X out of 400-40X. In Long Range I shoot a 40X across the course rifle in .308, with 175 SRA bullets and I shoot around 570 out of 600, which I'm not to proud of, but I win most matches. Out to 600, the bigger calibers are not beating the .223. By the way, I shoot prone with a sling, and am 68 years old.

We shoot beyond 500 every-time we shoot. It is a 5 second walk to the range. The closest we shoot is 300 yards unless we are confirming a zero at 100. The majority of the rounds down range start at 500 and go as far as we want from there. Unless it is raining, we generally shoot 2+ times a week for an extended period.
Checked a log book...Since early Feb, I have averaged shooting 2 times per week with an average of 40 rounds per session with 70% of those at 500+ yards.

I try to get out on the weekends every weekend. Friend has property that is safe to shoot to 500. So that's as far as I shoot so far. Trying to get him to doze me a berm but it's a little wet still. If his neighbor is ok with it I should be able to stretch to 1k.

Last weekend was fun. Finally getting dialed in with reloads and proper form. Busting clay pigeons every shot! Time to stretch it out:)

In no way should anyone think I know what the hell I'm doing. I'm pretty green!!!

I am getting to my 600 yard range on Friday with my new 260AI. Initial testing and fireforming at 100 yards was extremely promising.

Drive 45 mins once a fortnight to shoot out to about 600 yards. Have only just started shooting out to that distance. I have to say I don't understand people I see visit the range with tactical type long range rifles and they only ever shoot to 100. I get that zeroing and testing loads for grouping is important but I find it odd that people seem to evaluate their performance (and equipment) based entirely on 100 yard groups. It seems that's it's only when you start shooting beyond about 200 - 300 yards that you get to learn the variables associated with precision shooting. The "art" really seems to come into play from 300 plus. I can't imagine what it must be like on a semi windy day at 700 plus. Look forward to trying though. Hats off to those that can get first shot on target at 700.

My buddy and I have 2 places to shoot.One is for Spring/Summer,and the other is Fall/Winter.It's according to where the cows are.One we can get 800 on one,and the other we can get 650.We try to shoot every weekend.But he's had a new rifle ordered for 3 months and is waiting on it to come in.So here lately we've only been going about once a month.

Young's Longshot in Indiana is where I shoot. I try to get out there at least 2x a month if I can. They have steel in 50 yd increments from 100 to 1000 yds. I usually settle in at about 700 with the 308 and go the distance with the 338.

We have the range to do it but just habitually shoot out to 600 as a maximum b/c realistically that's all I feel comfortable shooting on game animals that I intend to eat. Guess I should get off my lazy rear and try it but I'm not going to be deployed to combat as Im a nasty civilian now so I really am not motivated as I used to be. ;-)

"Life begins at 1000 yards"

1000???? My eyes get fuzzy at that range!