• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship How many rds. do you go through a week/month ?

KQguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2008
Ohio
I am not talking about pistols,AR's,or anything else,just your long range weapon.I was wondering how much you shoot your rifle to keep your skills sharp.I would love to be able to shoot 100+ rounds a week,but with the price of components,I just can't afford it.What do you guy's think would be the minimum amount of shooting required to keep on top of things.I am planning on doing some tactical competitions(long range,250-1130 yds.),I want to stay sharp,but not break the bank.Just wondering what your experiences are with maintaining good marksmanship.

Re: How many rds. do you go through a week/month ?

Spring summer and fall usally about 60 rounds a week. winter iam lucky to do 20 rounds a month

I've got heavy barreled Savages in .308 and .223. I put just over a 1000 rds of .308 and about 1200-1500 of .223 through them last year. They pretty much stay in the safe Dec-Mar.

The only way I can afford it is to handload my own. Haven't bought any loaded ammo for years. Buying in bulk from Powder Valley has helped.

Fortunately, I'm less than 10 minutes from my shooting area, which allows me to shoot about twice a week. I've got plenty of components for this year, but if I don't start seeing more stuff in the stores, I'll be shooting the 22LR more often.

Right now, I shoot about 100rd/mo in a competitive context, .223 prone/bipod at 200yd. As the weather moderates, I will be augmenting that with .22lr practice, because the way I'm shooting right now, about half my .223 is going to the wrong POI.

If it doesn't improve soon, I'll be sitting out the comp, because wasting ammo like that is not productive. One thought might be to shoot alongside on the same target but with .22LR at half the distance.

Greg

I am going to try to get by with 10-15 rds. per week(500-800 yds.)with my 7mmWSM,not counting competition rds.I am fortunate to have 800 yds. in my back yard to work with.If I like the results I am getting,I will just leave it at that.If I don't like what I am seeing,I will bump it up to 20 30 per week.Maybe I will do more dry firing to save money also.

I may shoot up to 500 rounds in various weather and zero checks to ensure my load a weapon/equipment are in sync,after every thing is the same day in day out or to my standards I will shoot 100 or so rounds per month on average at 400 to 1048 yards,If I use a overbore I cut that in half or more ,I don't need as much practice as I would with a 223 or 308 I have taken 50%( guess) out of the life and wind calls and come ups so I don't need to be as sharp making up the difference with an overbore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KQguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not talking about pistols,AR's,or anything else,just your long range weapon.I was wondering how much you shoot your rifle to keep your skills sharp.I would love to be able to shoot 100+ rounds a week,but with the price of components,I just can't afford it.What do you guy's think would be the minimum amount of shooting required to keep on top of things.I am planning on doing some tactical competitions(long range,250-1130 yds.),I want to stay sharp,but not break the bank.Just wondering what your experiences are with maintaining good marksmanship. </div></div>

Well, I shoot my AR in long range, which in NRA classification is now over 600 yards, 300-600 is considered mid range. But to answer your question I shoot 2 matches per weekend that amounts to 172 rounds, we start at 200 yard offhand, 300 rapid then back to 600 slow prone. Ammo is either 77 SMK's or 80 SMK's.

50-100 a week since getting my 7WSM almost 2 months ago. Going at that rate, I am going to need a new barrel in less then a year! Jered and crew loves me. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50-100 a week since getting my 7WSM almost 2 months ago. Going at that rate, I am going to need a new barrel in less then a year! Jered and crew loves me. lol </div></div>That's the pace I was going at with my 7WSM also,but I have to drastically cut it down,due to cost.Those 7mmWSM's are so fun to shoot,I could literally go through hundreds of rounds a week,if money was no object.

There's a guy at our club who shows up every day at lunchtime and fires a handful of rounds out of his H/G on our indoor range, then goes back to work.

I usually shoot 150 to 250 rounds a week. Through the last winter in 6 months I shot about 6500 rounds. From what I have found it is about trigger time. Reloading is the way to go if you plan to shoot alot.

I have been doing 40 to 50 rounds per week on my TRG-22. The TRG is so consistent and predictable I need to shoot at this level to increase and maintain my proficiency. I do reload and that is getting to be a bit of problem finding components. I did cut back some because of the shortages and cost. I spend more time now shooting my 22LR CZ 452 varmint rifle.
I am fortunate to be just 5 minutes from my shooting area, with multiple spots and at any range.

alexander66

Not enough lately......
frown.gif

Staying sharp doesn't always mean you have to fire live ammo. Dry practice will pay off. A wiser man than I showed me the light when he said, "Live fire only confirms what you do during dry practice".

I dry practice anywhere from 5-30 minutes a day. I always make time. When I work (I am in LE) I start my shift by 10-15 draws with dry practice. When I work patrol I check my AR when I set up my car and dry practice with it about a dozen times. If I am on the range I get a ton of dry practice, I dry very hard to check my tactical gear on a daily basis, doesn't always happen but I tend to spend 5-10 minutes with my bolt gun and various positions. So that is my routine. Consider if I only do 10 dry fires a day at the end of the year I will hit 3650 dry practices.

My live fire varies. For boltgun I say I average 200 rounds a month but that is just a guess, I stopped logging rounds a couple years ago.

Right now I'm shooting an average of about 200 rounds a week through my 223 bolt gun. Some weeks it's more, but rarely is it less. The prairie dogs just keep sticking their heads up where I can see them.

I'm doing about 40 rounds a week out of the 700 in .308 Dry practice with the lessons from the Online Training produce great results when I do make my weekly trip.

i shoot anywhere from 200-300 rds a week for free and get paid to do it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shoot anywhere from 200-300 rds a week for free and get paid to do it </div></div>Are you guy's hiring?J/K

I like shooting prone smallbore matches , it is cheaper and a great tool for position and trigger squeeze .

Howard

I cut way back to conserve what I got. Seroiusly,consider setting up a .22 rim rifle.ammo seems to be more abundant. Also will be using the H and R Varmit Special a whole lot more,been collecting dust,thats in a .223 cal,powder will go a long ways.

I guess about 40-50 per week. That is holding back. Range is 5 min away and I go out to the farm 3-4 times a week which is an open range were ever I want. Always have 2-3 guns with me.

50-100 per month if I can, this is being conservative in trying to save ammo but stay on it...

I did get another 2k primers along with my stock so I am not as nervous as I was but it varies from lots of rimfire at long range to 60-80 large rifle in a busy week to none in the winter

Not enough rounds.

Like 25 rounds in a day, twice a month...a lot more if the supplies and $$$ were there.

100-150 each trip to the range with my savage 10 308

100 rnds centerfire for practice,

300 rnds rimfire for pratcice,

1-3 centerfire after game, 10-20 rimfoire after game and 10-100 rnds of shot shells after game.

Nop place to practice clays or steel with a shotgun.

Best regards Chris

338LM 1000rounds a year. At an average shooting session 25 rounds a time.
30-06 Spring 500 rounds year. At an average 25 round a time.
22lr 2000 rounds a year. At an average 100 rounds per session.

On top comes the 7,62x39 shooting, 223, 308 and 7,62x53R. The amounts of these vary more.

I do plan to increase my shooting from kneeling, sitting and standing positions and to mowing target by ading to these amounts about 1000rouds of 308win.

Big bore, about 50 a month except for a few of the bad winter months, if it keeps
me on top?, I never have been.

I used to shoot around 500 .22lr every two weeks, but have since slacked off. Now I shoot my pair of .223s and the .308 quite a bit. Between the two .223s probably 200 or so a month, and the .308 is around 100 or so a month.

i try and get about 50rds of 308. on my home range per week, 22, 9mm, and 556, pdiggers, yotes, rabbits and its to hard to count all the empty brass.

100 to 150 a month. this doesn't include the rimfire which is about 100 a month.

I have shot almost 500/month, on average, since getting my GAP. It would be higher if I was loading only one load and not performing all kinds of experiments...

Dry-fire for an uninterrupted ten minutes, a few times a week. Then, firing 15-20 good rounds per range session is plenty, with lots of dry-firing before the cold-bore shot and between live rounds. Try to get out to the range for about an hour, once a week.

I shoot maybe 100rnds a month from my 300wm, but i suplument that with a LOT of dry fire, and some 22 thrown in. The problem I have with 22 is mine isnt very accurate, so it frustrates me some. But Trigger time is important, and I feel dry firing is a good way to make sure your trigger pull is smooth and you keep your aim point.

I'm doing some initial shooter education for my Grandkids these days, and when I can, I put each of them through about 100rd of .22LR, about evenly divided between the scoped accurized 10/22 and the micrometer sight ex-GI Mossberg 44 I keep for training. They shoot at 50 and 100yd at our outdoor range, but are too young to be accepted in our club's youth marksmanship program, so I'm putting my NRA Instructor Certification to use on them. When they're old enough, they'll have enough experience to be able to hit the ground running.

In the process, I get in some brief trigger time myself; but mostly that's just for sighting-in as the distances change and some quick target drills. Soon, the kids will be doing the distance change sight-ins on their own.

Greg

Mine varies with the season. I dont shoot enough, either way, though. From March until October, I probably go to the range at least 3 times a month, sometimes more. But I dont necessarily shoot a ton when I am there. I usually have around 100 rounds loaded up and bring some home with me as often as not.

This thread is making me want to spend more time behind my 17HMR.

I could always shoot more! haha

i am seasonal but usually go through 1500-2500 a year

when I go to the range I like to shoot cmp mini matches of 20 rounds. It's not how many rounds you send down range its also how your shooting. I like to practice standing, prone, sitting, slow fire, rapid fire, loading 1 round @ a time, with hand guns I also practice non dominate eye, off hand.......

I used to go thru 400 a month or so.. then I got a job at a nightclub and havent gone shooting for 2 years..

But i'll be shooting again this weekend! With my new nightforce which I'm definitely looking forward to.

I just moved this past 2 weeks and while packing and unpacking my reloading bench I've realized that since January I've just crossed the 10k mark for the year, including 22LR's which consisted of about 8500 of that.

Some months that's 5 days at the range, some 2, some as much as 7. My job and relationship gets in the way of my shooting addiction er.. I mean, hobby.

since Obama took over.....
about 20% of what I did last year...