• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

how many rifles do you need?

Re: how many rifles do you need?

I'm just going to assume that was a retoricle question....

side note: Anyone know the exact number of variations of all known calibers x all barrel configurations x all stock configurations?? That will give you a base to go from. Then multiply that by optics configurations and your getting close.

We had a rule:

GUN + John Hardy= Happy S

Apperently there was more that I should have paid attention to...

You need n+1 rifles, where n is the current number of rifles you own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can never make a woman happy. Might as well buy the guns you like. </div></div>

Yup. And the guns, unlike the woman, will actually let you use them.

Y'all are going about it the wrong way.

Point out "the huge economic crash of 2008, stocks and real estate wiped out people's retirements and bankrupted thousands."

"Now... Gold... Collectibles such as coins, art, guns... (
wink.gif
) have held their value. If I spend $1200 bucks on a gun, and re-sell it 30 years later, I'll get my money back, plus some darlin', I'm taking thinking of our future".

"Not to mention, Sri Lanka, Haiti, Japan, 9/11, Egypt... I gotta look out for our protection, alright? If zombie nazi's started walking down the street, what you gonna do? Huh? Call 911? So now you have armored cop zombie nazi's coming to our house? We need to have protection, girly!"

"Lastly, they can be used to down food to feed us if the apocalypse happens... It's a trifecta win-win-win. And your saying you dont want me to buy any more guns, you dont want us to think of our financial future, our safety, and survival if the world ends?"

"Your the one that sounds crazy. I know I have 48 guns, but is that enough? Are you a zombie nazi post-apocalypse survival expert that knows 48 is enough? No you dont. So yes, I need to buy this 24k .50AE Deagle. It's absolutely necessary."

I've bumped into guys that have a whole bunch of guns bet are all trash! I would rather have a few top notch guns vs a whole bunch of crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I'm different. I don't buy guns based on NEED. I buy rifles (Pistol/Revolvers) based on WANT.

My misses doen't care. She knows I can take care of her regardless what I spend on guns.

But seldom do I set out to buy a gun. I'm an implus buyer. </div></div>

I concur to the above; my problem is I have a 308 addiction that I need to break. Seems 5 have already followed me home and I found myself looking at another one last week.
crazy.gif
But it does simplify ammo supply.
grin.gif

all of them

I only need one; however, I WANT a whole lot more than that. I started buying weapons when I was 18 years old and I am quite a bit away from that number now. I spent my military career collecting and still do to this day. I don't normally buy off the rack anymore, thanks to this site
crazy.gif
I have two in the build process right now and am already thinking of what to get next
grin.gif

At the age of 50+ I think I'm out of the norm here as I wish that I owned fewer guns over the years. As I look back on my gun buying habits I realize that I would usually buy middle of the road production rifles (like the R700) and then proceed to spend a lot of time and money customizing them. In many cases I got tired or dissatisfied with the rifle and sold it (at a loss of course) and went out and bought another production rifle and started over again. Looking back I would be more satisfied today if I just owned 3-4 top of the line (Surgeon, GAP, etc) rifles compared to the safe full of semi-custom middle of the road rifles that I currently own.

Also - as I age I realize how much better is to have just a few guns so I really know how to use them properly. I know some posters here have enough shooting time to become competent with multiple rifles but personally I do not have time to fire all of my rifles on a regular basis and I am not a big on safe queens.

For those of you who are significantly younger than me please think about this carefully and learn from my mistakes. Fewer guns – higher quality – enough shooting time to become competent – that’s my current formula. Problem for me is that I would lose a ton of money selling the guns I already own so it’s going to be a slow transition process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silver78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the age of 50+ I think I'm out of the norm here as I wish that I owned fewer guns over the years. As I look back on my gun buying habits I realize that I would usually buy middle of the road production rifles (like the R700) and then proceed to spend a lot of time and money customizing them. In many cases I got tired or dissatisfied with the rifle and sold it (at a loss of course) and went out and bought another production rifle and started over again. Looking back I would be more satisfied today if I just owned 3-4 top of the line (Surgeon, GAP, etc) rifles compared to the safe full of semi-custom middle of the road rifles that I currently own.

Also - as I age I realize how much better is to have just a few guns so I really know how to use them properly. I know some posters here have enough shooting time to become competent with multiple rifles but personally I do not have time to fire all of my rifles on a regular basis and I am not a big on safe queens.

For those of you who are significantly younger than me please think about this carefully and learn from my mistakes. Fewer guns – higher quality – enough shooting time to become competent – that’s my current formula. Problem for me is that I would lose a ton of money selling the guns I already own so it’s going to be a slow transition process.
</div></div>

Uhm. That actually struck me pretty deep bro. I've always been one to greatly value quality over quantity. But this sort of opened my eyes some more, not just to guns, but everything in my life. Weird how a few words can create an epiphany for someone, eh? Thanks for your wisdom.

-Bill, 26 years old.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silver78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the age of 50+ I think I'm out of the norm here as I wish that I owned fewer guns over the years. As I look back on my gun buying habits I realize that I would usually buy middle of the road production rifles (like the R700) and then proceed to spend a lot of time and money customizing them. In many cases I got tired or dissatisfied with the rifle and sold it (at a loss of course) and went out and bought another production rifle and started over again. Looking back I would be more satisfied today if I just owned 3-4 top of the line (Surgeon, GAP, etc) rifles compared to the safe full of semi-custom middle of the road rifles that I currently own.

</div></div>

Thats my new mantra. Started off buying whatever crappy impulse buys I wanted but decided to go the route of few and high quality. Only one of each caliber, each with a specific purpose, hopefully not overlapping too much. Plus maybe a 50 cal for shits and giggles later on down the road for the simple reason of I've always wanted to own one. Plus my wife says every time I buy "bullets" I have to buy her a purse. And no she doesnt like to buy cheap purses either. And yes she calls pretty much everything gun/rifle related "bullets". I've tried to educate her but she just doesnt seem to care.

Same answer I give when wifey asks how many beers I plan to drink, Just one!!
....my first one, my next one, one more, and my last one!!
with a couple ones added in there
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wife won't leave. I've gone way past what would have driven most wives away and she is still hanging in there.
</div></div>

Yep, same here.

The only thing I have holding me back is my conscience....and that ain't working out too good lately.

Be aware of the man that owns only one rifle and knows how to use it.

That being said, it's fun to have different calibers/weight rifles/setups for different jobs.

AR15 and a .223 bolt to match b/c they are lightweight and accurate and fun to shoot
.308 cuz ya have to have one
.260 b/c I reload and it's a laser
.22 rimfire b/c you can never train enough
12ga - burglers, clay birds, turkeys and geese beware
30/30 - deer beware