• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report How many rounds is too much in a session??

BigDKC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2010
KCMO
Just curious, is there a threshold of how many rounds should be fired in a session/range day out of a .308 precision rifle?

I got about 100 new cases I need to fire form. 20 additional load work up rounds to shoot, and thinking about picking up another 50ct bag of new brass.

Is 150-170 rounds too much to shoot in a session? This would be stretched out over most of an afternoon for sure. Or early morning - early afternoon.

Also what is proper rate of fire for just shooting steel etc?

Sorry if these are dumb questions just something that popped into my head while doing some reloading tonight!

Re: How many rounds is too much in a session??

whatever you feel comfortable with....barrel life certainly isn't much of an issue with .308

It's not a question about the gear, it's a question of fatigue. I stop shooting when fatigue sets in so that I don't start developing bad habits.

Well, to paraphrase Smokey the Bear, only you can prevent that. Get a good night's sleep and eat your Wheaties so you can fire the hell out of that thing.

Seriously though, while barrel life in a .308 is not the issue it is with something like a 300 WSM, it's not a bad idea to pace your shots. The bore deteriorates the most when it's hot. Bring another rifle along to shoot in between. I'll usually bring my M1 and a .22 along or set up a separate target for pistol.

I like doing a nice round 100 per day at the range. At/by this point, my mental energy to focus and lay down good fire is waning.

ETA: That is for 308, maybe double that for 5.56*45.

I actually like to induce a little stress and or fatigue in my shooting sessions.As long as its not one of the big boomers I can shoot alot before it becomes counter productive.

Round count and rate of fire depends on you. When you start missing, it's time to slow down.

Shoot them all, just take your time. Don't overheat the throat or yourself for that matter.

The thing is for every round fired,you are in control and getting payback from each round fired. Comes to a point where you are shooting for the sake of shooting,time to quit. I 'd rather fired 10 rounds of meanful shots rather than putting 50 down the range....I quess you could call it drive the rifle,not let the rifle drive you.Good Shooting.

Thanks for the help guys! I didn't really think there would be much issue, but wanted to make sure before possibly messing something up!

I resize .243 and 7-08 cases to make .260 Rem brass, and I shoot my ammo out of a rather pricey custom barrel. I do not fireform.

Every shot consitutes an expenditure of both brass and throat life, and unless I'm doing the sort of case forming that requires a section of the case to get blown out (which I not only don't do, I probably will never do), I consider the process to be extravagantly wasteful. In fact, I share the opinion with a large number of precision handloaders that loading a standard load into an 'unformed' case and firing it delivers the best accuracy the case will ever deliver.

Just load 'em and use 'em.

Greg

Fire forming 308 = a total waste of time and resources.

Ever think about the people that only shoot new ammo? Like SNIPERS from every government branch in the world? or LE?

If you are wanting to waste time and money, drop me a few grand via paypal and I'll pass on the time.

With regard to fatigue, I believe it may be good to shoot until you essentially drop.

Back when I was a 3-gun Bullseye Handgun Competitor, I would spend all Sunday morning and maybe some of the afternoon at the range. 200rd with the .45, 200rd with the 9mm, then 200+ (as many as it took for me to get thoroughly disgusted with my shooting) with the .22LR. All but the .22LR (of course) was my own handloads, cast lead, off the RL550B. After the C/F strings, I would finish with 10rd of jacketed, to srip out some of the lead before cleaning. S/C Lead Solvent was a staple item in our household.

Basically, I shot until I had rung my own bell quite convincingly. FWIW, I firmly believe it made me better.

But handguns and rifles are different critters. I never burnt a handgun barrel, and I never even considered the possibility. With rifles, bore life is a primary consideration of mine.

Greg

It depends on what you are trying to acheive. I went to the range the other day, fired one round, logged it, and went home.

Well I guess I should explain a little bit, I said fire form the brass but I guess I didn't really mean it in a scientific way. As in I am not going to go out in the back yard and shoot off 100 rds into the dirt because I need to fire form them!

Basically my intent is just to go shooting! I have a bunch of new brass and have always heard the term fire forming used for the initial firing of the cases so that is why I used that term. I am new to precision rifles and long rang shooting AND reloading for L.R./precision rifle. In every article I read it seems like there are references to fire formed cases. I am guessing that is where I have picked up the use of the term..

I have some load work up rounds ready to go, and the rest is all just loaded ammo to shoot steel etc and work on developing the skills required to shoot long range.

Sorry for the confusion or poor choice of wording!

No, not a problem. You basically stuck you foot into a fast running stream and got caught in the current.

For my purposes, I think that fireforming as a step that is separate from taking brass and making 'working' ammo with it is something it might do if I were a handloading dilettante, but which serves no practical purpose that interests me.

Any necessary fireforming takes place during the first 'working' firing, and is simply a nice plus that happens the first time one fires it 'for real'.

I run a very simple handloading operation, and do it on a shoestring budget.

What steps I perform I only do because they have <span style="font-style: italic">proven</span> themselves over time to be indispensible. The rest is just frills, and I ain't got any o' them in <span style="font-style: italic">my</span> shop...

Greg

I shoot between 50-100 rounds during my usual range sessions... and they usually span between 3-5 hours

I take my time, allow the barrel to stay cool whilst also evaluation weather conditions as they change over the course of the time im there.

I tend to get into lots of conversations whilst im at the range. Not too many folks in australia have tactical rifles (not refering to SPS tactical either) so I find alot of my time is spent in conversation with curious people. I also like to talk to alot of the older and experienced handloaders as they are a wealth of information.

I figure that 100 is about max for me at a range session, to keep cost down and also I find that load development does not require that much shooting. 100 rounds is usually me letting off some steam and general boredom at home. I like to keep my range visits to about once a fortnight so 50 rounds is feasible with my budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It depends on what you are trying to acheive. I went to the range the other day, fired one round, logged it, and went home.

</div></div>

I'd like to have an objective in terms of what I want to work on for each session. Usually, I focus on around 20 rounds 35 rounds per session. Sometimes, I just want to log my cold bore shot and confirm my zero, which is just one cold bore shot at a 1" target at 100 yards.

Yeh I guess thats effective.

Only thing that makes me want to pump more rounds down range is the 1 hour drive to the range, and then 1 hour back...

CBF two hours driving to fang out just one round

My competitive shoots are built around a 40rd for score with unlimited sighters COF; divvied up into 2 stages with two targets each, 10rd per target. We break the COF to allow barrels to cool. I can make do with 50rd, usually. In my current physical state, I'm about wrung out after that, especially if the heat goes above 80*F. Most folks could do twice that.

Greg

Once again thank you all for the replies!! I think I am just going to leave it with the 120rds I have loaded up for this trip. I do like the idea of having a goal in mind for the session, that makes sense. Sticking to it might be tough sometimes haha And yes I will be taking a couple other toys with me to allow cool down time etc! My main goal this trip is those load work up rounds. After that the goal is to start learning the rifle, and have some fun!

I also agree with Vman though, to shoot anything over 100yds I have to drive an hour and a half or so one way. On top of that I don't get as many days as I wish I did to go to the range. So making the most out of time is very important!

Kansas City REALLY needs a 1000yd range in the area! I would get out a ton more if I could hop in the truck and be at a long distance range in 20-30 minutes!

bout 100 rounds of .308 for me.

I have fired well over 300 rounds in a day from GAP .308 Crusader and GAP 243 shooting pdogs with no loose of accuracy. I quit when my eye gave out and could not see thru the scope! They are just bullets, shoot the things!

Would do 50 300WM, 100-150 308, and about the same in 223, and 50 or so 260 rounds in a session. Would be more but reloading gets old. Takes like an hour each way to the range so I like to get the most of it plus I love to shoot steel at distance and am getting pretty fair at it. All rifles are McM A5 stocked and very similar in feel and setup. Since doing this I noticed I have gotten alot better. When I had some AICS's in the mix I would have trouble getting comfortable between switching.

'Reloading gets old' is my primary reason for advocating the .22LR for practice. Yes, recoil has its place; but during practice and training, it's more of a distraction than a benefit.

My emphasis on practicing to exhaustion is important. The shooter needs to be able to quickly recognize when fatigue is impairing their performance. The shooter can use the experience to develop strategies that raise that performance when fatigue has become an issue. The wise shooter will fabricate those strategies upon increased concentration in the basics. Of all the muscles the shooter uses, the brain is the most significant.

Greg

If you have a good quality rifle, shoot it!! Enjoy it and learn it! I have always tried not to shoot the barrel too hot! When it gets really warm I'll take a break! usually the timing is perfect, when the guns hot so am I, and a water break is the ticket....

Lately its been so damn hot that i can't get more than 50 rounds or so before I'm so hot i cant concentrate or I'm shooting in the evening and it gets dark. I always thought the greatest job in the world would be a sniper in Iraq until last week when I spent 5 hours shooting in 100 degree heat. I've got a lot of respect for those guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zjones748</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lately its been so damn hot that i can't get more than 50 rounds or so before I'm so hot i cant concentrate or I'm shooting in the evening and it gets dark. I always thought the greatest job in the world would be a sniper in Iraq until last week when I spent 5 hours shooting in 100 degree heat. I've got a lot of respect for those guys. </div></div>

Your on the money there!! I managed only 70 rounds before the heat became to much! Not to mention my temp scope failed for the 3rd and final time. I packed it in and called it good!!

I dont mind shooting my .308 for 100 rounds in a day. More often than not, 50 is the most I shoot. This is because of most of the reasons you see above (+ Wife & Kids
wink.gif
). I shot to day and it was 97 degrees. HOTT I tell ya! Ended up putting 31 rounds thru the .308 and 130 rounds thru the AR. BansheeSWS was helping me on some drills with my AR, so those were walking in the sun (no overhead cover) and moving. Did I tell you it was HOT?

The best time to quit shooting is when you are not doing yourself any good by shooting any more. If you are having a bad day with a new piece of equipment (rifle, scope, or whatever) dont push too hard. Maybe just go home and check mounts before you waste ammo. Right now, heat will get you. While I agree with shooting to some degree of fatigue and raised stress level for training, remember to be safe with yourself. Fluids (water) and a little pause now and again to ensure personal safety cannot be overlooked.

Just my opinion, yours may vary.