• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many rounds on this receiver?

mtnhunter22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2020
Looking for some input here. Purchased a BA from a member here. Was told specificlally “350 rounds on barrel and receiver”. This is what I received today.

I take good care of my shit so maybe this is just what 350 rounds of abuse looks like. But what do yall think? Anyone have a receiver that looks like this after 350 rounds?

Nitride is chipping in several places. Bolt stop also has excessive play in it.

Attachments

• IMG_7420.jpeg
    IMG_7420.jpeg
    697 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_7428.jpeg
    IMG_7428.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_7427.jpeg
    IMG_7427.jpeg
    752.1 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_7426.jpeg
    IMG_7426.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_7423.jpeg
    IMG_7423.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_7421.jpeg
    IMG_7421.jpeg
    656.8 KB · Views: 404
What is excessive? And how and what are you measuring it against? Looks like it could be 350rds fired, with a bunch of dry firing.

What is excessive? And how and what are you measuring it against? Looks like it could be 350rds fired, with a bunch of dry firing.
To me, it seems the nitride has chipped/worn more than I would expect. And more than I’ve seen on my receivers with the same round count. Both another Rukus and a TL3

IMG_7420~2.jpeg
Those marks are normal on a well used action from the cases hitting the receiver; it happens on virtually every bolt action.
Are you sure that is nitride?
It could be Cerakote or paint, which would wear a lot faster.
The action looks like some of my customers actions which have had several barrels shot out on them and which I've barreled multiple times.

Are you certain that the coating is nitride?

Did you not see the pics before making the purchase?
Not 100% sure it’s nitride. But pretty sure. But comparing it to my other one it’s the same color.

And yes I saw pics but it was a full build that he parted out and didn’t see anything glaring in the pictures he has posted. Should have asked for more apparently.

View attachment 8297911
Those marks are normal on a well used action from the cases hitting the receiver; it happens on virtually every bolt action.
The action looks like some of my customers actions which have had several barrels shot out on them and which I've barreled multiple times.
Yeah I understand some brass rash. But at 350 rounds it still should only be that, just brass markings. But this has gone through the coating and down to the steel. Like you said, to me, looks more like a receiver that has seen a couple barrels. Or a poor coating

View attachment 8297911

I wouldn't think it's nitride, but I'm no expert. Have marks like that on my Cerakote actions. My AI's start looking like that in pretty short order.

Not 100% sure it’s nitride. But pretty sure. But comparing it to my other one it’s the same color.

And yes I saw pics but it was a full build that he parted out and didn’t see anything glaring in the pictures he has posted. Should have asked for more apparently.
I have a nitrided Lone Peak action with 3x that many rounds and the only place that shows a little wear is on the bolt lugs.

It looks like Cerakote to me, but still more than 350 rounds.

Looking for some input here. Purchased a BA from a member here. Was told specificlally “350 rounds on barrel and receiver”. This is what I received today.

I take good care of my shit so maybe this is just what 350 rounds of abuse looks like. But what do yall think? Anyone have a receiver that looks like this after 350 rounds?

Nitride is chipping in several places. Bolt stop also has excessive play in it.
Nitride is not a coating, and cannot chip. The surface color can wear away, but the base metal remains nitrided. That receiver appears to have cerakote on it. The bolt looks like it may be nitrided but hard to tell due to the picture quality.

Yeah I understand some brass rash. But at 350 rounds it still should only be that, just brass markings. But this has gone through the coating and down to the steel. Like you said, to me, looks more like a receiver that has seen a couple barrels. Or a poor coating
I'm going to go with air dry Cerakote and they didn't blast the surface. Defiance Actions are tumbled to near mirror finish. The coating would probably wear that quick in 350 if that's the case.

Why on earth would you buy a used action, without seeing detailed photos first? (Hey, somebody had to ask.)
I’ve had good luck on the hide (and other places) doing deals. Most guys, if selling something like this, will disclose the issues in the ad. Or the issues are open to see. In my experience someone with positive feedback isn’t going to say an action like this only has 350 rounds just for it to show up like this.

In this case they weren’t easy to see in the og ad. And some you couldn’t see like the bolt stop, corrosion on the cocking piece, wear on the pic rail, wear under the action and in the mag well etc.

But you’re 100% right. Should have asked for close up pics of everything no doubt!

Here’s a picture of the tang area next to my current Rukus. You can really see the flaking of whatever material it is. A lot of the edges have material coming off. But if you zoom in you can see it.

Attachments

• IMG_7430.jpeg
    IMG_7430.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 195
I get it looks worn, but if it functions perfectly it IS only cosmetic. I have several actions that look worn like that and slide like glass. Often they get better as they wear if they started tight.
I get where you’re coming from. But you gotta disclose this when selling. Period.

I understand I should have been more thorough in asking. But if something looks like this, it needs to be shown or told to the buyer. As you can see, most would agree with me. Shit doesn’t look like this after 350 rounds.

The bolt stop isn’t only cosmetic. Nor is a magwell with burs from a magazine. And neither is corrosion on a cocking piece. So there is both cosmetic and actual wear on metal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Milf Dots
I’ve had good luck on the hide (and other places) doing deals. Most guys, if selling something like this, will disclose the issues in the ad. Or the issues are open to see. In my experience someone with positive feedback isn’t going to say an action like this only has 350 rounds just for it to show up like this.

In this case they weren’t easy to see in the og ad. And some you couldn’t see like the bolt stop, corrosion on the cocking piece, wear on the pic rail, wear under the action and in the mag well etc.

But you’re 100% right. Should have asked for close up pics of everything no doubt!
Like Ronald Regan and the Soviets ... "Trusty But Verify".
Just curious ... did the seller have a track record of 100% positive feedback, or did you "roll the dice" on a newbie?

Reactions: Milf Dots
Like Ronald Regan and the Soviets ... "Trusty But Verify".
Just curious ... did the seller have a track record of 100% positive feedback, or did you "roll the dice" on a newbie?
Had all positive feedback. But only 4. So not many

The "flat" or "matte" spots inside the lug raceways are what over application of oven cure Cerakote look like. It's also what Duracoat starts to look like after a lot of wear, which is what I'm leaning towards, because some of that just doesn't look like how Cerakote wears to me. I've only had 1 Duracoated BA & it wore in exactly like that... but it took a lot more than 350 rounds & still didn't look even half that bad

Not disclosing the action looks like that is dishonest IMO, you're looking at additional $$$ to get that thing cleaned up. Hopefully you got a great deal.

Some of the Defiance actions have sloppy bolt stops when they are new.

I remember doing pushups.
It'd go like this...123ONE, 123TWO, 123THREE
Even so, that'd only be 700 pushups.
Some guys just trash their shit, though.

Just looks like worn paint to me.
I’d be more concerned about what the important parts look like; lugs, faces etc.

If you did not ask for pictures similar to the pictures you took to show here then you ought to ask yourself why you did not.

If you ever go shooting with a bunch of guys from the hide you'll see more who treat their rifle like a plumbers pipe wrench than who treat it like an expensive watch.

Reactions: camocorvette
If you did not ask for pictures similar to the pictures you took to show here then you ought to ask yourself why you did not.

If you ever go shooting with a bunch of guys from the hide you'll see more who treat their rifle like a plumbers pipe wrench than who treat it like an expensive watch.
I get that. And I agree to an extent.

No problem treating it like that. There’s a place for it and those that will buy it. Just disclose what it is, what has happened to it, and the condition it’s in. I don’t feel like that’s too much to ask, no?

Are you sure the guy wasn't implying that it 350 rounds on the current barrel rather than the actual action? I doubt its going to cause you any problems operational wise but I would guess that action to have many more than 350 rounds on it. does it operate ultra smooth like it's well broken in?

Are you sure the guy wasn't implying that it 350 rounds on the current barrel rather than the actual action? I doubt its going to cause you any problems operational wise but I would guess that action to have many more than 350 rounds on it. does it operate ultra smooth like it's well broken in?
I specifically asked about the rounds on the receiver and the reply was “same as the barrel 350”

And no it’s not as smooth unfortunately. My og rukus that hasn’t had anything applied and close to the same round count is much smoother.

Reactions: AllenOne1
It sucks that you got screwed, but it also sucks that you allowed a sociopathic personality type (that's what he/she is) to get one over on an SH member- by you not doing your part to filter the scum. It's almost 2024 and there are very few honorable people left, even in America.

I hope it functions well for you.

Reactions: mtnhunter22
I agree that looks like cerakote. My tl3 that I bought on here used with 5000 rounds that I’ve put on it plus countless dry fires, has no exterior surface that looks like that. The bolt has almost all the nitride worn off though and it was decently worn when I got it.

Opinion: OP normal, seller is a cunt......
You declare that shit if you're a reasonable person. 350rnds it should look new, not like an improvised hammer. Anyone happy with that shit, likely treats their stuff like the seller and thats cool, it's yours...... not cool to imply otherwise when selling.

If it was a Deviant instead of a Ruckus, I would try to buy it and eliminate your pain.

100% a shitty cerakote job.

My question is have you talked to the seller or did you just post the loaded question?

And you purchased it here, right? So I assume the seller is likely reading this.

100% a shitty cerakote job.

My question is have you talked to the seller or did you just post the loaded question?
Lol no I reached out to him before posting. And we exchanged some messages throughout the day. But we didn’t come to a resolution. Valid question though!

And you purchased it here, right? So I assume the seller is likely reading this.
Yep purchased it here. Seller still has an item or two up for sale last I saw. Maybe he’s read this, maybe he hasn’t.

But we chatted and he stands behind what he’s sold. Sees no problem with the receiver or the condition it’s in. Actually said that his receiver he sold me looked better than mine when I sent him pics of my nitrided Rukus for comparison 😂

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
With the complaint of the bolt release being wore is subjective.

It's impossible to get a round count on a used action. The fact is it that is is possible (may not be probable) for a action to look like that with 350rds on it. If the coating was sub par and there was no prep. It does look like it has a lot of bolt cycles on it.

Looks like spray paint to me. What did the seller say it was coated with? Kinda crazy to buy anything used sight unseen.

With the complaint of the bolt release being wore is subjective.

It's impossible to get a round count on a used action. The fact is it that is is possible (may not be probable) for a action to look like that with 350rds on it. If the coating was sub par and there was no prep. It does look like it has a lot of bolt cycles on it.

Looks like spray paint to me. What did the seller say it was coated with? Kinda crazy to buy anything used sight unseen.
I mean that’s what happens here everyday right? Buying something sight unseen.

I’ve bought stuff here and other sights for a few years now and haven’t had any issues. This was my first time being burned.

Lesson learned in asking for more detailed pictures. But at 350 rounds (and myself having a receiver with 300 rounds) I didn’t think it could get this bad. Obviously I was wrong lol.

As far as actual round counts. I know the round counts on all my stuff, but at the end of the day, yes, you are counting on sellers being honest.

No. No, that doesn't happen here everyday. I know nobody who would buy a action with zero pictures if they didn't personally know the seller and still most would want to know what they are getting.

If you were really bored you could count the brass marks you can see and put a educated guess on the ones overlapping. It looks like a horrible coating. Nitride should not flake off and the cerakoted rifles I have doesn't seem to have that big of divots missing from the brass.

20231217_133122.jpg

No. No, that doesn't happen here everyday. I know nobody who would buy a action with zero pictures if they didn't personally know the seller and still most would want to know what they are getting.

If you were really bored you could count the brass marks you can see and put a educated guess on the ones overlapping. It looks like a horrible coating. Nitride should not flake off and the cerakoted rifles I have doesn't seem to have that big of divots missing from the brass.

View attachment 8299016
There were pictures. But it was in a chassis. Pictures were dark. I couldn’t make out any noticeable issues, other than some brass marks that I could see. But, even then, I thought they were just that, brass marks. Not chipping in a poorly done Cerakote job.

Like I said, I should have been more thorough. It’s unfortunate that someone would sell something without being clear on the issues, or even worse, see no issue in something like this. But it is what it is at this point. Good lesson learned.

Now to decide if I’m going to DLC it, have the Cerakote redone, or maybe blast it and polish it.