• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many rounds

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
do you shoot per week? And what percent are handloaded. Very curious as to how actively you all send rounds downrange. I usually shoot 50 rounds of 9mm, 50 rounds of .45, 100-150 rounds of .22, 100 rounds of HMR and up until yesterday, when I decided to sell my .22-250 and 223/5.56 about 100 rounds of those usually twice a month. Non are hand loaded. That may have to change with my .45. Egads, this could get expensive, if I thought about it!

Re: How many rounds

i used to shoot once a week until about 1.5 years ago. i got engaged, married in 4 months. 3 months later, wife got preg.
smile.gif

i used to shoot about 300 rounds each trip. about 200 rounds of 9mm and 100 rounds of 45. sometimes, i'll bring my AR and shoot about 100 rounds.

now, i go about once every 2-3 months. when i do go, i still shoot about 300 rounds each trip. i do not shoot 9mm or 45 anymore. it is about 100 of 40 and 200 rounds of 10mm.

i reload.

from the age of 16-20 i shot 500rounds of .22 and 200 rounds of .243 a week. the .22 was cheep enough the .243 at the time was between .25 and 1.25 a round depending on what you shot i of course shot mostly cheep out to 300 yards. this was mid 90's

now i shoot 2 times a month and most of the time the entire family go's with so its 300 to 400 .223.....100 to 200 .45 and 300 to 500 .22 i have a family of 5

if we are doing bolt guns its way less rounds maybe 300 rounds of .308

Been so dang hot this summer and I have not shot that much. I usually go once a week when the weather cools.

i don't shoot much centerfire as i used to as it got, how can i say without being cocky, kinda predictable.

i know shoot .22 at least once sometimes twice a week, between 50 and 200 yards, about 200 to 250 rounds per session.

same for pistol went the .22 rooute. about 200 rounds.

when going back to the centerfire stuff, i have found myself improved, due to the all .22 shooting.

once upon a time per month: 50 - 100 rounds of .308, 25 rounds of 12 ga., 100 - 150 rounds of 9mm, 50 rounds of 50 .357 mag., 50-100 rounds of .223, some other assorted calibers, plus some .22's.

I think it's more about how focused you are--blasting away with 300 rounds might not improve your shooting at all. Shooting methodically with 300 rounds will improve your shooting for sure, whether that's shooting fast or slow.

I shoot once per week usually but if I go to a week-long class in which I might shoot 500-1000 rounds per day I find it keeps my shooting on an elevated level for 6 months. So again I think it's both quantity of rounds and quality of rounds--which again I'm talking about your quality of mental focus, not whether you're shooting slow or fast.

I too feel that focused and disciplined shooting , especially with my .22 and 17 HMR does wonders for my accuracy, breath control, and trigger control on my bigger guns. True also for my handguns. As a weird aside, after shooting several hours on our local range, my putting on the golf course improves - but that doesn't last for more than a day or two. I do think it is about hand-eye coordination and the mental focus part of the game. Bottom line is that golf is still the devil's game and should be given up at one's earliest opportunity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prairiefire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bottom line is that golf is still the devil's game and should be given up at one's earliest opportunity. </div></div>

I almost traded my pings for a swaro HD spotting scope. Won't make that mistake again.

I shoot 300 .40SW, 500 .22lr, a handful of .50AE (Desert Eagle), 100 .223, and a few cylinders of .357 on a monthly basis. Cheaper to shoot the .22lr and it still teaches me plenty every outing. I think quantity and quality are equally as important. If you can get out there and make both work for you, then cheers.

SS

I shoot as often as I can, usually 200rds per week of rifle (2-3 range trips) sometimes more/less and at least 200 through my Sig p226 (9mm). I would go more but it gets pricey (~$125 a week) because I don't reload. I'm thinking about getting a Ciener kit for my AR so that I can run more drills--500-1000 rounds per range day would be fun.... I don't have the time (at home time is family time) or patience to reload.

I try to keep everything as far as my personal shooting ability tippity top. Of course, that's not always how it ends up, but most of the time it does.

50-75 rounds Semi-auto 308
50-75 Rounds bolt 308
30-90 rounds of .223, whatever I load in mags
50 9mm
50 45

Once a month I'll take the shotgun out, just incase I get to it first in the event of a HI. I'd prefer to be sufficient with all my guns, meaning I go every week, but I usually go one big weekend of shooting then one skill focused weekend.

All precision rifle is loaded by hand, pistol it depends on if my buddy made me reloads or not. Shotgun is just whatever they have at the counter.

EDIT: forgot .223 rifles..

40-50 rounds of 308, 50-100 rounds of 223, 50 rounds of 45 or 9mm if I bring the handguns as well. All are hand loaded.

I shoot precision rifle to 800 several days a week. Very little pistol shooting at this time. In the fall, when I am predator hunting and culling I do not shoot so much on the range. I would guess 250 rds/week ave year round.
Most of the shooting is for groups, noted in field book, so no "wasted" non learning shots. I do some LR night shooting practice as well.

All precision rifle ammo is handloaded. Most of the .45 ACP is not but does not amount to two cases/year.
RTH

I average 2-3 times a week at the 600yd range.

50-250 rounds of 22LR between bolt rifle and target pistol. 100-300yd on rifle, 20-100yd on pistol.

25 rounds of 223 from bolt action with match bullets out to 600yd

Sometimes 0, sometimes 75 rounds of bigger LR ammo like the 260 or 6.5-06, 7/270, 30-06. If I'm doing load testing on a new bullet/powder combo for an upcoming match then the round count goes up.

Avg. is about 5 per session at 3 times a week.

Everything but the 22's are handloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i don't shoot much centerfire as i used to as it got, how can i say without being cocky, kinda predictable.

</div></div>

You can always improve. Offhand, support side, rapid fire, shooting after physical exertion, etc.

I do a lot of dry firing in the basement. That is hands down the easiest way to practice. You still need to go to the range from time to make sure everything is working well, but as far as practicing the execution of a shot, all the fundamentals and important items happen before the gun goes off.

The bang is just for show!