• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft How Many SH Members are/were Snipers

Re: How Many SH Members are/were Snipers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I volunteered to teach the Ft. Benning course, but I guess they had more highspeed dickheads by 07 or so when I found out about it</div></div>

The SDM program uses instructors from a list provided by the CMP to assist the AMU.

Because of the cost involved, they pick people from the list that are local for the most part. That's probably why you didn't get solected for the Benning course. Don't take it personal. You might get the call if they have another one at Ft Lewis.

what, no mention of OPSEC yet to stir the pot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone please explain to me what a Sniper is, Does, an What set of rules apply first before they can be Given or Hold the Title, of?

</div></div>

from a former sniper definition rant:

SNIPER - (present definition) a person professionally and highly trained to observe, report findings, or to engage and eliminate specific targets of oppurtunity to gain a tactical advantage uses a wide array of tools to accomplish the assigned tasks, and generally uses a highly modified precision rifle (sniper rifle as it used by a sniper) to eliminate those specified targets, usually from a concealed or unknown position in order not to be comprimised.

sniper -(originally) a person that hunts for and is successful in harvesting the elusive above game bird. usually had to be concealed (by the use of special areas - enter the "hide"- or special clothing - enter the "gillie suit"- during the shot as snipe have excellent eyesight.

once common in scotland, a ghillie (the person themselelf) was a hired person (a proffesional hunter / guide that used unconventional tactics for success) used to catch poacher's on the royal's land. they used special clothing to be concealed or hide themselves from view (AKA ghillie suit), from the highly observant and skillful poachers. the poachers that had escaped capture from the ghillie also began to employ the ghillie's suits to remain stealthy as they had to evade detection both from the ghillie and the royalty's normal gaurdsmen as they poached the royalty's game.

snipe- –noun 1. any of several long-billed game birds of the genera Gallinago (Capella) and Limnocryptes, inhabiting marshy areas, as G. gallinago (common snipe), of Eurasia and North America, having barred and striped white, brown, and black plumage.
2. any of several other long-billed birds, as some sandpipers.

maybe a glossary of terms will help the newbies realize that(at least in my opinion) a definition of a "build" worth reading:

BUILD (noun or verb depending on usage)- A weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol, shotgun etc. (project) that has substaintial components added or enhanced that operate and are engineered in conjuncture with each other for the intended purpose of launching a projectile downrange and hitting a designated target with more consistancy / accuracy than a factory manufactured weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol shotgun etc., or exceeds the average accepted performance metrics of a factory manufactured weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. or at a higher rate of speed in cycling rounds + accuracy than a factory manufactured weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol shotgun etc.
(in my opinion a build starts with a bare receiver or frame, then specialized components are added to achieve the above directives, and to achieve the below)....

LONG RANGE SHOOTING (verb?)- To accurately and consistantly hit a target with a projectile at a greater distance than is normally accepted by a majority for the performance parameters of any given weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. whether it is "built" or not.

Example: A .45 cal 1911 pistol used at 10 yards to hit a target accurately and consistantly may be considered average distance. A .45 cal 1911 pistol used at 75 yards to hit a target accurately and consistantly would probably be considered long range shooting.

A .45 cal 1911 that shoots well at 10 yards, but is not good at all at 75 yards until components are added or enhanced and has acheived the goal of launching a projectile consistantly and accurately on a target should be considered a "build" to make a "precision firearm" for the intended purpose of "long range shooting"

(a scoped .308 rifle at 100 yards is almost always considered short range, however an open sighted 30/30 at 100 yards may be considered medium to long range)

PRECISION FIREARM (noun)- A weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. that is used for the intended purpose of launching a projectile downrange and hitting a designated target with more consistancy / accuracy than a factory manufactured weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol shotgun etc., or exceeds the average accepted performance metrics of a factory manufactured weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. Most precision firearms are "built" (see build) for objectives described above.

ACCURATE RIFLE (noun)- Any rifle that consistantly launches a projectile to a target with better results than what is considered by a majority average parameters for comparable rifles.(MOA and sub MOA)

SNIPER RIFLE (noun)- Any rifle that is used by a S N I P E R, otherwise, it's a precision firearm / rifle.

so technically, in the traditional sense, if you ever shot a snipe, your a sniper. of an "official" sense, if you passed and qualified any military or LE sniper qualification course and graduated sniper school, you are an official sniper that can sew a new tab on your uniform.

otherwise it's just another word that's been bastardized for shock value in various medias or used by someone as an adjective to boost their own ego, or it's meaning has been twisted to the point that it depends on what point of view you are coming from to describe some unique actions taken of someone that has caused a particular event to happen (lee harvey oswald, dc sniper, etc.). a bell tower and a rifle is "good enough evidence" to fit the description.

some define a sniper simply as a person that takes the life of another using unconventional means or from a concealed location - whether or not they can extract successfully or not.

"sniper's shoot people" is only a partial truth as assassins, murderers, and serial killers do the same. while snipers DO POSSESS the skills and ability to nuetralize threats effectively in a "scientific" manner, snipers also skillfully and professionally observe and report troop movements, provide security / surveilance details, paint equipment and other targets with laser designators for other types of ordinance to neutralize targets, convey coordinates for direction of artilery and other types of fire - some true designated snipers never having to take a shot on another human in their entire tour - a murderer, serial killer or assassin rarely do the same.

a "game animal" that has been shot from a shooter in a prone position dressed in a straggly burlap outfit from a concealed location that one has inserted themselves into undetected by using a remington 700 with a big scope and a bipod from say, a longer distance that is traditionally shot from - does not a sniper make -perhaps it was just taken "sniper style" as the movies depict what a sniper is.

the butcher at the local meat market can't be in the same class as a surgeon, though they both use a form of knife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I SENT Lowlight to Sniper School, so I want all credit for everything he's done good since then! ;-</div></div>Sure, if you can name one good thing he's done - just ONE good thing. LOL!
laugh.gif

I think we are doing a dis-service, especially to the LE Sniper if we discount the fact that the Criminal Sniper Exist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I volunteered to teach the Ft. Benning course, but I guess they had more highspeed dickheads by 07 or so when I found out about it</div></div>

The SDM program uses instructors from a list provided by the CMP to assist the AMU.

Because of the cost involved, they pick people from the list that are local for the most part. That's probably why you didn't get solected for the Benning course. Don't take it personal. You might get the call if they have another one at Ft Lewis.</div></div>

Yeah, I know that. I got the info a little bit late and they were looking more for civilian NM shooters and not exactly vets that did that stuff if I recall. I wasn't butthurt or anything, I understand how the military works (and the damn VA too) but it would have been nice to do that again during my sabbatical from university at the time. I just REALLY loved that job, enough to do it for free (well, you gotta feed me food and ammo and let me use the ranges!).

I think they send 'em all to Benning now for that course and it isn't nearly as long as what we did. They really shortened the crap out of it. But if they ever did have one at Ft. Lewis, I'd be all over it.

I'm close enough to Lewis I could commute to the range in no time, and I have nothing better to do anymore. Practically retired at this point, all I do is play with my weapons and reload and shoot when I can. So they ever need one here again, I'm ready.

Oh, and I have shot at snipe once, I have been snipe hunting. I did it in NE on the Platte River. So, in that sense I guess I am a sniper, and at the age of 14!

They are hard as hell to hit with a .22, they hide well and fly crazy. A lot like Duck Hunt on Nintendo but harder I suppose!

Take it easy guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think we are doing a dis-service, especially to the LE Sniper if we discount the fact that the Criminal Sniper Exist. </div></div>Hopefully no criminal snipers are members here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully no criminal snipers are members here.</div></div>

LOL, I didn't mean to imply that, it was more for those who think only military training makes one a sniper.

My contention is there is Military, LE, and Criminal Snipers. Hopefully only the first two catagories are members here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunderstorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You bitches all brag about about Call of Duty and Battlefield 3 like that's sniping...I fought sniper battles on N64 you couldn't fuckin' imagine.

Amateurs.... </div></div>

For sure! I'm old school SOCOM on PS2 Quick Scoping Super Sniper! </div></div>

SOCOM on PS2 was the best all time!! Still playing Confrontation on PS3 and No I'm not a sniper! lol

Not a sniper just a marine and his weapon but I do scuba lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: topgun99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While the class I graduated from was called Sniper/Counter Sniper School, I personally don't consider LEO's snipers. Rather Precision Marksman. That being said, I am one.</div></div>

Ditto.

I've watched a show or two on the discovery channel about sniping. That must count for something eh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cvcustoms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a sniper just a marine and his weapon but I do scuba lol </div></div>

Same here. spent some time with some snipers on the MEU. Seriously considered training for the indoc as I could shoot and my asvab score was off the charts. But my political believe system made me decide to leave military service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can hit .5 MOA groups into my fleshlight from across the room, i consider myself the Ultimate sniper</div></div> Wow just wow.....lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can hit .5 MOA groups into my fleshlight from across the room, i consider myself the Ultimate sniper </div></div>

Only when you do your part........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can hit .5 MOA groups into my fleshlight from across the room, i consider myself the Ultimate sniper </div></div>

Only when you do your part........ </div></div>

All day long

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can hit .5 MOA groups into my fleshlight from across the room, i consider myself the Ultimate sniper </div></div>

All day long </div></div>

YOU don't count either.....

Indeed I have never been to sniper school as my user name might imply but I did have a dumb ass company commander in Iraq. When we need a designated marksman to go sit on rooftops and and shoot at bad guys putting out IED's in our AO. He decided since I was the only guy in our Tank company that new what those old ass vietnam looking rifles in our arms room were"m21's" that I was the guy. So we had my friends dad go buy a leupold scope and mail it to us and we mounted it up, our master gunner then procured a case of m118lr from the snipers from HHC and away I went as the local FOB sniper. I have to say it was not a bad gig haha. All the excitement, none of the training, I will never know how the fuck we didn't get killed. So, Sniper no not me but as close as you can get without being one.

4th meb anti terrorism Bn, 02-07. I was a hunter of gunmen once upon a time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strykervet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Former army SDM and SDM instructor at Ft. Lewis; it was kind of pilot program I guess. I volunteered to teach the Ft. Benning course, but I guess they had more highspeed dickheads by 07 or so when I found out about it; they never called me. Many of the other instructors were snipers there, and at least three I know made it to the Ft. Benning Comp., with the head instructor last year or the year before in fact, so it wasn't exactly stocked with douchebags.

The SDM course was a four week shooting course focusing on the M4 at the time (02-04?) and was the best time I had in the army. The NM component of it made me a much better shooter, period. It was where I got introduced to that kind of shooting.

Sniper school is more fieldcraft and less shooting. SDM school is, or was, nearly all shooting. They are very different, but can interchange roles to some degree.
</div></div>

I took an SDM course in Kuwait, and it was some instruction and some informal firing on the Udari SDM ranges which were 300-800 meter pop up targets only.

Sniper school was about 60% shooting. What they accomplished that the watered down Kuwaiti MPRI SDM course didn't, was to actually teach (to the point of student demonstrated proficiency) the concepts of shooting, AKA leads, range estimation, wind calls, alternate positions, etc.

That other 40% was either physical to make sense as an Army course, or fieldcraft.

The Stateside SDM course may have been very different from the MPRI course, but the gear (M4 or M16A4 and ACOG) was probably the same, so there are some aspects of shooting that just can't get as refined as they can with the equipment used in a sniper course.

My unit also put a random assortment of not necessarily motivated people into the SDM course, so the class probably suffered due to people not having any interest in learning anything, where Sniper candidates either care, or quickly wash out. 33 students in Sniper school washed to 11 graduates (not counting 2 who were restarts for phase II fieldcraft), and those 22 were all performance related, non-political drops. Too often it was some really well intentioned guy who really cared and tried, who just couldn't make the cut and the standards were absolutely concrete.

Another advantage of sniper school, is that the instructors are highly qualified and very skilled, so they really bring a lot to the table.

Include Lowlight. I was at his Sniper School graduation ceremony.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Include Lowlight. I was at his Sniper School graduation ceremony.
smile.gif
</div></div>

I know... I was simply stating that my count was "not including" Lowlight. So he would be +1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can hit .5 MOA groups into my fleshlight from across the room, i consider myself the Ultimate sniper </div></div>

All day long </div></div>

YOU don't count either..... </div></div>

LMAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You bitches all brag about about Call of Duty and Battlefield 3 like that's sniping...I fought sniper battles on N64 you couldn't fuckin' imagine.

on what game? favorite N64 game for multiplayer crazy shootouts was 007 goldeneye

My favorite game for sniping is battlefield 3. I like the trajectories, bullet speeds, ect. It would be cool if the reticles were actually mil scale and corresponded to range. That would be the best game EVER. Hopefully one day.

+1 I have been lurking around for a couple of years, but I havn't posted much. I guess I qualify. Went through sniper school at Ft. Benning Ga. back in the 70's. Member of the AMU from 1976-1980. Certified Sniper Instructor. But I must admit things were a lot different back then. Shooting M-21's with an ART scope out to 1000 and using anpvs2's out to 600. The sniper game has come a long way in 35 years. But them boys at Ft. Benning could always shoot. I have been out of the game for a long time, but I still like to squeeze a few off once in a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went through sniper school at Ft. Benning Ga.</div></div>

When in the '70s, I went through the AMU Sniper Schoool in Oct '78. Great course.

Back then everyone was sending their propective Sniper Instructors to the AMU's course. Secret Service, FBI, even the Marines.

That was one of the requirments I had to come up with, that I would start a program in my home state (AK NG). I did, had a good program. The Course also certified me as a LE Sniper Instructor per the APOSC. (Alaska's version of POST).

I'm retired from the guard now but kept my LE Certification up to date.

As to the AMU, they are without a doubt the best over all shooters in the world. Best thin President Ike did when he was president, starting the AMU.

I found, in my experience, that snipers converted to team shooters more readily than team shooters converted to snipers.

Just an observation. Not a judgement.

kraigWY, we may have bumped into each other on a range back then. I was assigned to the AMU shooting team till July 1980. your exactly right about the program back then. The AMU recruited the best marksman for the sniper school. Col. Hinds was the CO when I arrived, and then Col.Palmatier ran the unit from 1978 till I left in 80. Those were good times back then. We also offered a close combat/riot training course (moving target) up on the hill at the shotgun range. That was mostly secret service, FBI, LE. Did you go through that course?

Nah I just attended the Sniper Course, I had other plans but got screwed over. I got home from the course on Sat and found I had orders for OCS starting Monday. Really limited my options for schools.

Anyway, I just looked LTC Cannella signed my deploma as acting commander. I think Col.Palmatier took over shortly there after.

I don't know if you know Wayne Young, he might have retired before you got there. He was the AMU Sniper team armor when they were sent to Vietnam. When he retired he openned a gun shop with Shelly Lamb, another AMU Vietnam Sniper. Wane got me lined up with the AMU's Sniper School. He alos sold me my M1A for $295 NEW.

Yes, I recognize the names. I still see some of the old guys. I still go back to Ft. Benning deer hunting as a AMU guest. James Hare worked in the AMU armes room building sniper rifles when He came back from Vietnam. He then went on to help out with the marine sniper program. He lives in Ft. Pierce Fl and still does my gunsmith work. H&H custom rifles. He is old school.He Doesn't have a web site or even go on the computer.
But spending time with the old Vets that helped get these sniper program up and running is priceless.

Stanley PARMENTIER

http://www.militarymarksmanship.org/

If you guys are not members, then that is the link for the Military Marksmanship Association. They are pretty active around Fort Benning and Columbus Ga. My Dad is a long time member.

krm 375, Thanks for posting the link. I see a couple of pictures down near the bottom of old friends. Haven't seem them since 1980. Nice to know they are still doing well.

Sorry, I spelled PARMENTIER wrong. its been a long time. I remember Col.Parmentier well, Stanley J, If i remember correctly. Good Guy. Good CO.

1981 June graduated 3rd Marine Regt SS school.
STA 1/3 81-85 (8541)
1984 SSIS Quantico
88-89 STA 3/2
89-90 2ed Mar Div SS School Instructor & LE Sniping Course
90-DS/DS STA 3/2
91-92 II MEF SOTG R&S Instructor and Urban Sniper Course

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I once read something a guy said. "There were 345 snipers sent to Vietnam and I've met all 8,000 of them." Having spent two tours in Vietnam, I'm pretty sure that I have met another several thousand of them.
frown.gif
</div></div>

LOL. Sad but true. The same is true for Vietnam and "Green Berets.".

BMT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "There were 345 snipers sent to Vietnam and I've met all 8,000 of them."</div></div>

I use to tell people the reason we lost the Vietnam war was because I was the only "grunt".......everyone else was special ops.

BTW-I am a sage rat sniper.

Over 100 kills.

We replaced "one shot, one kill" with "10/22: 22 shots, 10 kills".

BMT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You bitches all brag about about Call of Duty and Battlefield 3 like that's sniping...I fought sniper battles on N64 you couldn't fuckin' imagine.

Goldeneye? I was there... never forget...

We've been hijacked...

LET'S ROLL, SNIPERS!

Ft. Benning, Class 06-10
Short timer now though
laugh.gif

My uncle is a school certified sniper *retired now* which is what got me interesting in LR shooting.

does SOTIC count? or SFSC as its now known

I went to SDM school - my unit didn't have slots for Sniper school for a long time, and one when came up my unit used the lure of it to keep me from transferring to Civil Affairs. I accepted it, then the next month they called me up to tell me the state ran out of funds and my school was cancelled.

So no, not sniper qualified
frown.gif

I hurt someones feelings once....

Hammelburg graduate 99. Short time as instructor end of 2000.

My first Scout Sniper Platoon had a Sniper Section where all the guys had gone to the Benning school, and a few had gone to Quantico for the Marine Course (and graduated). They said there was no comparison between the Marine Scout Sniper Course at Quantico and Benning. I think they got more trigger and spotting scope time in two weeks of Quantico than the whole Benning course at the time, which had changed from 3 weeks to 5 weeks IIRC. Quantico was 8 weeks.

My 2nd Scout Sniper Platoon was on the DMZ in Korea, and 8 of us were selected to attend a SOTIC MTT run by 1st SFG out of Okinawa-very good dudes, very good course.

Our Scout Platoon Leader in Korea was a former E-6, 82nd and 18th ABN Corps LRSC, B4 and SOTIC-qualified, Panama vet, so we actually did great training in that platoon.

My 3rd Scout Sniper Platoon mostly sucked, had bad leadership, until we got a prior enlisted E-6, Force Recon guy as our PL, who had a laundry list of appropriate skills and qualifications for that position. I was on my way on to greener pastures, so didn't get to really work under him.

I would point out the distinctions between a military sniper under the US/NATO system, Designated Marksmen, and Police Marksmen.

In the US system, <span style="font-weight: bold">Snipers</span> are highly-trained, semi-autonomous soldiers in that they can be attached and detached quite frequently, to support their unit or other units, and operate as 2-man or larger teams. In addition to eliminating priority targets with high 1st-round hit probability at extended ranges, Snipers also act as advance, flank, and trail scouts, performing battlefield reconnaissance for the commander they're assigned or attached to, while <span style="font-style: italic">also</span> operating as Forward Observers for the calling of indirect and Close Air Support fires on targets of opportunity. This last skill set was by far my most favorite, as immediate suppression HE with 81mm mortars, 30mm GAU-8, and 500-2000lb bombs pretty much places 7.62 into the pea-shooter category.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Designated Marksmen </span>are an integral duty position to the Infantry Squad, per the new MTO&E. They fill in the 300m-600m gap that riflemen leave, and enhance the situational awareness of their Squad, in addition to providing precision fires on priority targets. Since a Fire Team Leader needs to be an expert in every duty position within the Team, we can infer that he should be DM-trained, or the DM himself. Same for the Squad Leader.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Police Marksmen </span>add a precision fire skill set to the Law Enforcement Leadership, especially for scenarios involving high risk of collateral damage, but where a violent application of force is likely. They also enhance the situational awareness of the ground commander on both static crime scenes, as well as from aerial platforms for the departments that train for it and have rotary wing assets.

When I got out, and started competing in sniper or long-range matches, my eyes were opened quickly to how exceptional many of you civilian shooters are, and I continue to usually be humbled by some very talented guys who are almost half my age.

Overall, I think the past decade has seen an unprecedented increase in the number and quality of well-trained shooters, and the competitive shooting sports has really driven that increase in ways that benefit both the .civ and .mil sides of the coin. It really is a fun community to be a part of, and we're living in a golden age of sorts when it comes to precision long-range shooting.