• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many use CCI 450 mag primers w/ .223 varget?

elfster1234

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2012
    www.youtube.com
    I usually reload my .223 ar-15 with standard cci400 & varget, but as most of you already know cci400's are impossible to get right now locally. My friends swears up and down that I can use cci450 mag small rifle primers and does it all the time & I do have the cci450 available in my area.

What do you guys think? Any help an suggestions would be great.

Re: How many use CCI 450 mag primers w/ .223 varget?

You should reduce load when changing to use Magnum Primer.

thanks for the reply. just wondering how much you would reduce?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Golfy Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should reduce load when changing to use Magnum Primer. </div></div>

I would start over same as you would do with any load. 10% below what you are now.

I tried them.

My loads:

24.5 Varget 69SMK 2.245"
    24.3 Varget 75Horn 2.245"
    LC, REM, PMC brass mixed trimmed to 1.750"

I didn't reduce my loads at all and didn't have any pressure problems however accuracy was not quite as good. Varget has always worked best for me with a mild primer.

thanks for the info brother

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried them.

My loads:

24.5 Varget 69SMK 2.245"
    24.3 Varget 75Horn 2.245"
    LC, REM, PMC brass mixed trimmed to 1.750"

I didn't reduce my loads at all and didn't have any pressure problems however accuracy was not quite as good. Varget has always worked best for me with a mild primer.

</div></div>

I have not noted a sizable difference in accuracy between Rem 6.5, CCI-400 and CCI-450.

No pressure issues interchanging the above primers with 24.0 up to 24.5gr Varget and a 75gr HPBT.

CCI-450 is my primer of choice for 223AI, and as I use up all my -400s I'll switch everything to the -450.

Stopped by my local gun shop and picked up a 1000pc brick cci450's small rifle primers for $35 each. They had loads of them left also. This brick with what I have should hopefully hold me over till I find 400's. If you live close to north west wisconsin PM me and I'll get you in the loop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not noted a sizable difference in accuracy between Rem 6.5, CCI-400 and CCI-450.

No pressure issues interchanging the above primers with 24.0 up to 24.5gr Varget and a 75gr HPBT.

CCI-450 is my primer of choice for 223AI, and as I use up all my -400s I'll switch everything to the -450. </div></div>

No worries. I have long thought that the idea that a load will be hotter with a magnum primer is in large part myth. I am all for being safe so I reccomend that you start over, at least reducing by a grain from what is max for your gun.

Here's mine:
    24.1gr Varget, 450 primer,75gr Amax.
    23.6gr Varget, 80gr SMK or Nosler CC or AMax all same same performance 450 primer

I use them in my Colt CRP18. Load data:

27.6gr CFE, 450 primer, 55gr AMAX.

They work just fine. I am going to clock them on the crony shortly. So far I am getting sub-moa results.

I did some side by side testing with CCI std and mag primers using varget & blc2 with 55gr softpoints. The mags actually shot a few fps slower, no pressure signs on anything.

I didn't notice any accuracy difference, but the way I shoot, that's not saying much.
    smile.gif

I've decided they are interchangeable for me.

wow, really??? that is good to know! thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steel-r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did some side by side testing with CCI std and mag primers using varget & blc2 with 55gr softpoints. The mags actually shot a few fps slower, no pressure signs on anything.

I didn't notice any accuracy difference, but the way I shoot, that's not saying much.
    smile.gif

I've decided they are interchangeable for me. </div></div>

If I had to pick just one SR primer, the 450 would be it. I use them in 223, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor (Rem URBR brass), and 308 (Lapua Palma and Rem URBR). My shooting partner uses them in 223, 6MM BR, and 6.5x47.

Never backed down on charges and the numbers are always good with no pressure signs out of any of the calibers mentioned.

FWIW, I have or have used Remington 7.5, Fed 205, Fed 205M, CCI BR4, CCI 400, CCI 450, Wolf SRM, and Wolf SR. They all work for me, but would go to the 450's for everything and be happy.

I use the 450's in my 223 and 6.8SPC w/ ssa small primer brass. I use H322 in both calibers. Both shoot really well, but I did my load work ups with the 450's so I'm not sure about interchanging to std primers.

I would not be concerned. Primers, whether marked magnum or not, vary quite a bit between makers. Remmy 7 1/2s are as hot or hotter than the CCI magnums for example.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steel-r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did some side by side testing with CCI std and mag primers using varget & blc2 with 55gr softpoints. The mags actually shot a few fps slower, no pressure signs on anything.

smile.gif

I've decided they are interchangeable for me. </div></div>z

My experience in 6.5x47L and varget was similar. CCI BR-4s gave the most velocity, followed by CCI 400, then 450, then #41 Arsenal Primers.