• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much ammo/components do you have?

Compared to before the ammo crunch (I guess about two years now) how much ammo/ components do you ha

• Less than 50%

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • Closer to 75%

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • About the same

Votes: 39 39.4%
  • 25% More

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • 50% More

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • 75% More

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 100% More (2x)

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • 200% More (3x)

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I went Crazy!

Votes: 9 9.1%

• Total voters
Virtually nothing! In fact, I’m taking the few guns I have left to a nearby Foundry, to have them cast into a plow! memtb

Reactions: Kalthoff
Yes

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1628720488916.jpg
    FB_IMG_1628720488916.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 66
  • Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Thanks for the feedback, let me share more context from a professional analysts perspective. (Not my industry though)

Market conditions have changed, but every statement I have read from manufacturers says production is way up. LGS are not only low on ammo, but gun racks are empty as well. There are no doubt a lot of new gun owners, but the ranges do not seem more crowded, at least around me, they have slowed with ammo prices.

So, my question above relates to this. It takes time to build new factories, but manufacturing will not invest if the increase in demand is caused by hoarding. The problem is that after what caused the spike ends, the consumers do not go back to normal buying, they use up their surplus first. So, the factories would be coming on line after prices come back down, and by increasing capacity to produce drive prices and profits down more.

I strongly believe what has caused this is mostly political in nature. If that is true, the shortage will end when people are no longer afraid the government will take away their ability to buy guns, mags and ammo. The House and probably Senate will be more GOP after 2022.

Anti-gun rhetoric from the government has always been more effective than positive messages from the gun lobby to grow sales.

The other thing driving this is fear fueled by politics, I wish I thought that was likely to get better soon.
I don't know where you are but guns, ammo and components are everywhere.
However, the stores are still charging a platinum price.
Me,I could care less and neither should you,we only had 2.5 years of bargain bin deals on ammo.
If people were stupid enough to not buy ammo when 5.56 was $225 a thousand and premium 22LR was on average $0.04 they needn't bitch.

There's at least 5 threads in the bear pit that would be considered a great tool for social engineering - IE what guns do you own, while you're at it don't forget to post pictures of all your stuff on the internet.

Can't afford to replace any... so I've cut back on training... However much I had, it's about the same. Problem is, with all the crap going on... I'd love to have about 3x as much.

OK, 10x as much...

I just find it odd that someone who it aparently afraid the government is spying on people thinks they would do so by posting a poll here or think that responding "Not today fed" wouldn't put them at the top of the list.
Especially being as the question is "how much in comparison to what you had before" so my answer of 75% could mean I had enough to assemble 4 rounds before but only 3 now; hardly going to get the BATFE knocking on my door. People on forums can be such tools.

Can't afford to replace any... so I've cut back on training... However much I had, it's about the same. Problem is, with all the crap going on... I'd love to have about 3x as much.

OK, 10x as much...
I totally relate, but this isn't my first apocalypse.

I still have unused magazines I purchased because of the Brady Bill was going to make them "impossible " to get and ammo because Y2K was going to be the start of my Mad Max fantasy.

I work on the field of analytics and forecasting, I have worked in wholesale distribution, import/ export and the pharmaceutical industry. The problem with big data is there is so much it is difficult to use it with good results.

With all the information from easier to analyze sources out there, I think worrying about this pole is like worrying about getting shit on by a bird during a hurricane.

Clearly you haven't been through many hurricanes...

Reactions: Ravenworks
To be honest, pretty much all of my money that is left over from other expenses is consumed on 1/3 ammo and 2/3 gear. I shoot enough that 1/3 is not enough to get me the spare stack I want though.

So I suspect others feel the same..

And in reality, I do not even l know when my stack would be good enough. 10k would feel like a good amount for a start, 10k bulk and 3k precision ammo, per caliber.

My goal is way bigger, but I will have to wait until my other gear is where I want it. Seems like I am getting there full steam.

Hi,

Hey wait, what.....Are you guys saying there is an ammo shortage or something? Sorry but I just caught onto what this thread was actually about, lol.

I must be doing something wrong because even though there is less than 2k rounds of a particular ammunition in the entire USA....I have a new ammo can of it sitting in storage drawer awaiting reamer arrival this week....

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Ravenworks
To be honest, pretty much all of my money that is left over from other expenses is consumed on 1/3 ammo and 2/3 gear. I shoot enough that 1/3 is not enough to get me the spare stack I want though.

So I suspect others feel the same..

And in reality, I do not even l know when my stack would be good enough. 10k would feel like a good amount for a start, 10k bulk and 3k precision ammo, per caliber.

My goal is way bigger, but I will have to wait until my other gear is where I want it. Seems like I am getting there full steam.
I have a bunch, but wish it was way more. I plan on doing a lot of shooting when I retire. I know from talking with retires at the range, that lack of ammo is the real obstacle.
I will have money, but after my career ends I will be on an anemic allowance by comparison. I have my " Other 401K" as I call it, cases of ammo, especially 22lr, my guilt free pleasure, and my toy collection.

Hi,

Hey wait, what.....Are you guys saying there is an ammo shortage or something? Sorry but I just caught onto what this thread was actually about, lol.

I must be doing something wrong because even though there is less than 2k rounds of a particular ammunition in the entire USA....I have a new ammo can of it sitting in storage drawer awaiting reamer arrival this week....

Sincerely,
Theis
I dont know if I am more jealous or curious.
What caliber only has 2K rounds in the whole country? You necking 50BMG down to .17 or something?

Components are kinda hard to use if they aren't loaded into actual ammunition. If I need ammo like right now, all the individual components in the world are not going to help me. If individual components are the way to go, why doesn't Uncle Sam keep them in vast stocks? I think that stuff went out of style some time shortly after the civil War.

I'm being facetious, but while I've got so little to do; assembling my components into ammo makes a sorta sense to me.

Greg

Last edited:
I was hoarding prior to the pandemic when it wasn't considered hoarding it was just a serious passion. I used to buy cases of shotgun shells every fall when Scheel's or Rogers would sell them for a $100 a case which included shipping and no tax. Still have 14 plus cases. No wants or needs here...

Ya know.
thanks to the “patriot act”
The feds have access to all your banking info. So they know how much ammo guns NVDs etc you bought.
And if you just bought from a gun show , don’t forget the facial recognition and tag readers they use.

For the first year, I didn't change any of my shooting habits. Now I'm starting to want to replenish some items.

Hey, were you on the water the day I lost all of mine? How did you get that picture of my boat?

These days, I figure that whatever practice (decades worth) I have under my belt is going to have to do the job.

What ammo I have left is going to need a more serious purpose before I commit it to use. My time is being spent on rifle maintenance, and picking out helpful additions to my accessories.

Greg

Reactions: memtb
Are you or do you:

A competitor with firearms
Member of the NRA
Belong to or regularly use a gun range
Shoot with a regular group of people
Shoot on your own property within hearing of neighbors
Use a credit card or check to buy firearms, ammo, reloading supplies, etc.
Do you have or have you had a carry permit
Buy firearms from an FFL
Buy from any source who has you on a mailing list
Current or former LEO
Current or former military
Have a hunting license
Register as a Republican
Live in a rural area
Have a neighbor who doesn't like you
Have or have had a child in private school
Have a home schooled child
Not gotten covid vax
Ever posted anything on this or any other firearms oriented site
Use any social media
Take your child to an MD who asks about gun ownership
etc.
etc.

If you can check more than two of the above boxes you are utterly f____ed. The ability to intercept comm.s and collate info. that we have allowed the government is insane.

Enjoy the things you have always enjoyed and we'll see what happens.

I've been through these shortages before. I'm old and there isn't much new that I give a shit about. As far as the survey I didn't and won't answer it. I'm old enough that a lifetime supply may not be very much ;) .

Interesting. Nobody who's hoarding is willing to admit it. When things got scarce, did you grab another 1,000 primers while they were still available? Of course, that's the quantity they're sold in, and a year later nobody has any in stock. Okay, so did any of you douchebags who won't answer this poll buy up 5,000 or 10.000 primers? Buying 8lbs instead of 1 lb makes sense because I burn up an awful lot of powder just trying to arrive at a good load, and I want to have the same lot. But people bought more than they need or can use and it created a huge problem for the rest of us. The new demand has an exponential effect on shortage because of this behaviour.

If I shoot about 60 rounds on a trip to the range, and my son shoots 80, and we go twice a month, how many rounds could we possibly have on hand before the hoarders make it impossible for us to go shooting?

Rhetorical question of course none of you will ever admit on the internet how much ammo you have. Shame. Honest answers could actually convince some of you that you're buying up more than you need and the rest of us can't spend an afternoon sharing an interest with a son who's going to be deployed sooner rather than later. But okay go ahead and hoard your ammo so the gub-ment can't come take it.

Interesting. Nobody who's hoarding is willing to admit it. When things got scarce, did you grab another 1,000 primers while they were still available? Of course, that's the quantity they're sold in, and a year later nobody has any in stock. Okay, so did any of you douchebags who won't answer this poll buy up 5,000 or 10.000 primers? Buying 8lbs instead of 1 lb makes sense because I burn up an awful lot of powder just trying to arrive at a good load, and I want to have the same lot. But people bought more than they need or can use and it created a huge problem for the rest of us. The new demand has an exponential effect on shortage because of this behaviour.

If I shoot about 60 rounds on a trip to the range, and my son shoots 80, and we go twice a month, how many rounds could we possibly have on hand before the hoarders make it impossible for us to go shooting?

Rhetorical question of course none of you will ever admit on the internet how much ammo you have. Shame. Honest answers could actually convince some of you that you're buying up more than you need and the rest of us can't spend an afternoon sharing an interest with a son who's going to be deployed sooner rather than later. But okay go ahead and hoard your ammo so the gub-ment can't come take it.
Haven't been here a week, and goes on this angry rant? You are missing the point of the post and Snipers Hide community.

What is your definition of hoarding. Someone who shoots 100 rounds a month for someone who shoots 5000 in the same amount of time will have a slightly different stash of ammo. Hard to define what hoarding actually means.

Reactions: Secondistic
Can’t hoard ammo if you don’t have guns to shoot it out of.

I turned all my guns in during the most recent buy back event!

It was my understanding that there would be no math…

What is your definition of hoarding. Someone who shoots 100 rounds a month for someone who shoots 5000 in the same amount of time will have a slightly different stash of ammo. Hard to define what hoarding actually means.
ED0371BB-1701-4270-8DFF-E1FB01722223.jpeg