• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how much did you pay for your in-ground swimming pool? Need tips and advice for a new pool install - updated again

You can do something free standing. Here's an all metal on I did last year. It's on a commercial property so material would be a little large for a residential house, but it would be scaled down.

trellis-steel-denton-big_orig(2).jpg
Yea, that’s the existing patio that there extending concrete from, I feel the same way about shad and temporarily we’re just gunna do canopy tables with chairs and eventually build a bungalow that extends off the patio towards the edge of the pool. The cost is too much to extend the patio roof.

Reactions: Buttersdad
That pretty much exactly what I’m looking at getting built. Looks good and I love the stone on the bases of the main beams

Id hire these guys give them some sticks and you got a work crew

That whole set of videos is very interesting to watch.
Basically the difference between "Surviving" and "Thriving" in an extremely primitive setting with almost nothing to work with.

I'd say it should be required watching for young folks to realize what can be done without all the modern tools.

Talk to your contractor about the clay soil in and around Houston. Lot's (thousands!!) of home foundations have to be repaired due to shifting clay soil in the dry/wet/dry seasons. It has to effect pool concrete and it's not as thick and maybe not as strong as house foundations. This also causes problems with underground water pipes. Several of my neighbors have had water line repairs due to soil moving. It is NOT a cheap repair.
What is his warranty on the concrete?

the problem is not the soil. it's the owner not keeping the soil a consistent moisture level.

Pretty basic shit

Not sure if this has been covered already, but don't do it. It's the worse mistake you'll ever make on a big, wet, fucking hole in the ground you pour money into until it eventually collapses; like a boat but not nearly as much fun. If you want to get wet go stand in the shower. It will decrease the value of your home, increase your insurance premiums and become an attractive nuisance that presents nothing but a major liability. We spent a $100K on ours 15 years ago which I think was the last time anyone actually swam in it. Take the money you were going to spend and get a Condo by the ocean, plenty of water there to look at and you can swim in it.

• Love
Reactions: tomcatmv
Mine cost about 30K about 12 years ago
It is unquestionably the best money I have ever spent
It is great to have the kids and their friends around especially in their formative years instead of them wandering the neighbourhood looking for something to do
They don’t use it t as much now but I am in there every afternoon after work in the summer
A chlorine pool is cheaper to maintain because you don’t have to run the pump as long and it will recover faster in hot weather or heavy loads

I'm in the Houston area also. Realtor told me that salt water pools are out as buyers don't want them. Platinum Pools is the premier builder in the area. Be prepared for the hard sell by their sales people.

I’d say that realtor is full of crap. What was the logic they provided? There is no downside, as far as I’m concerned, having owned a salt pool for nearly 15 years.

So im in Pearland/Manvel - Houston area, and the dominating pool builders are Mckenny and premier pools, I had an app scheduled with platinum but they cancelled and never called back to reschedule. Now debating between these two and who will be more competitive on price. The whole salt vs chlorine is still debatable to a certain degree, but salt is just down right easer to manage, and after talking to other saltwater pool owners and 2 dog vets I decided on salt for the dogs skin and eye health.

I build pools and run my own shop. I would check what the water table is in Houston. if its high you may want a gunite as a vinyl will have a tendacy to float if there is too much ground water that is not properly controlled. That is until you lose power. Perhaps have your possible builder do a well point check and a perculation test. Salt is definitely the way to go. Ioniozers combined with ozoniators are starting to make some noise but I have salt and I will have salt on every pool I will ever own. the water quality is superalative and the its literally 90% less maintenance than a traditional chlorine pool. Its not chemical free though. Basically top off some salt now and again, put ph minus or muriatic in to help keep the Ph spikes down created from chorline production(this also depends on what percentage your generator is running at) and maybe some stabilizer to help keep the chlorine your making stick around alittle longer.

I have a 5000 gallon spa/pool that the previous owners of my house had built after the actual home construction was completed. When we bought the house I saw the invoice and they paid $55k for it.

I think the size isn't all that much in determining the price as the costs were extremely front heavy. Had they wanted to double it, it wouldn't have been anywhere near double the price.

While its not huge, its a heated spa/pool with a waterfall, jets and air that has 3 seperate pump systems so everything can work individually or at the same time.

Only downside to it is that they decided to have a pool built in the back where we literally have a forest of trees that dump leaves all year so keeping it maintained is a total pain in the ass. I wish they would have torn up where our 3/4 full size basketball court was and put it in there instead.

Pelosi wants addresses to all these pools. She knows some "people" who may want to squat during your next family vacation.

All these ridiculously overpriced pools reminds me why a hot tub is such a "good buy".

I have a 5000 gallon spa/pool that the previous owners of my house had built after the actual home construction was completed. When we bought the house I saw the invoice and they paid $55k for it.

I think the size isn't all that much in determining the price as the costs were extremely front heavy. Had they wanted to double it, it wouldn't have been anywhere near double the price.

While its not huge, its a heated spa/pool with a waterfall, jets and air that has 3 seperate pump systems so everything can work individually or at the same time.

Only downside to it is that they decided to have a pool built in the back where we literally have a forest of trees that dump leaves all year so keeping it maintained is a total pain in the ass. I wish they would have torn up where our 3/4 full size basketball court was and put it in there instead.

Stop being poor and put a cage (screened enclosure) over that bitch. ??

Whatever you do, make sure you have an aluminium fence around it if you have little kids around or visiting, just for precaution.

Reactions: oneshot86

How much extra is that built in hot tub?

I know 4 or 5 people that did a built in hot tub with their pool and loved it...until they sat in my Hot Spring Envoy NXT with like 70 jets, multiple seats with different massage functions, etc... then they regretted spending the money on their built in tub with like 6 jets, no comfortable seats, etc... Not that my tub was cheap at all, but the functionality over a built in wins IMO...

My wife and I are getting ready to build and will build a pool at some point, but we will be keeping our stand alone hot tub and not be building a tub into the pool.

Reactions: plong
I build pools and run my own shop. I would check what the water table is in Houston. if its high you may want a gunite as a vinyl will have a tendacy to float if there is too much ground water that is not properly controlled. That is until you lose power. Perhaps have your possible builder do a well point check and a perculation test.

Mine is vinyl. If we get a lot of rain, the liner will float. 1st time I called the folks who did the liner. Drained the pool, cut the foam off the walls, reset the liner and refilled the pool. Now I just pull a bit of the liner, stick the vacuum hose down there and vacuum to waste. Or, just wait a week and it'll do it automagically.

So 5 months and 70k later we broke ground today. Got some good info and insight from you guys which was appreciated. I went through 3 different design changes before finalizing the project and was well worth it. Decided on a UV and Ozone chlorine system after swimming in all the different pool types and seeing other peoples pools and how they have held up to each. Our project estimation is 4-6 weeks and ill post updated pics as it comes along for anyone that is interested. Heres the final design draft and some day 0 and day 1 pics.

jennifer and anthony rios pool final 4_009.jpg
jennifer and anthony rios pool final 4_004.jpg
jennifer and anthony rios pool final 4_003.jpg
jennifer and anthony rios pool final 4_002.jpg
jennifer and anthony rios pool final 4_006.jpg
jennifer and anthony rios pool final 4_007.jpg
jennifer and anthony rios pool final 4_008.jpg

forgot to update the project. Nothing but great things to say about how everything turned out. Went with McKinney custom pools and they did the pool, hot tub, and outdoor kitchen, paid a little more than expected for the kitchen but was worth it to have to only deal with one builder for everything. Have been using the pool like crazy the past few months with the hole covid situation. spa is 8x8, and the pool is 30x17. Upgraded the splash pad of the pool with all glass iridescent and looks incredible, well worth the upgrade price. It's an infinity type design so everything is on one flat plane. 16150 gallon fill, chlorine and ozone system, cartridge filter, and a 300,000 btu beast pool heater, can heat the pool in about 3 hours. Turned out just how I wanted, only complaint is learning how to balance the water consistently, but after a few weeks was pretty simple.

IMG_2556.jpeg
IMG_2557.jpeg
IMG_2558.jpeg
IMG_2559.jpeg
IMG_2673.jpeg
51B66CE6-0988-4DA1-BFA8-C8DD3BAAC3F1.jpeg

Your pool looks fantastic! I'm planning to have my own inground pool built in my backyard as well. I got a quote from my local builder for a pool similar to yours but a little smaller, and with less features for 40k which is slightly above average according to this guide. I'm curious, were those features included with your $70k quote or did you just have them installed for additional costs? Planning to add features like heating and lighting as well, but I'm kinda working with a tight budget.

Thanks for the the kind words, so the whole pool project ran 70k, but the glass tile upgrades were close to 10k by themselves, the entire splash pad is glass tile, and the 8x8 spa/hot tub has an extended rolled over glass tile as well. We added 2 extra lights in the pool and that was 2k, comes with a 300000btu water heater that’s amazing, heats the entire pool to 90 degrees in 5 hours!
Had some extra concrete poured as well on the side of the spa, and a few other little upgrades. Originally the quote was for 50k but with all the upgrades we came to 70. The kitchen with the grill, burner, and two cabinets ran $15k which was a little overpriced but our contractor did the entire project and we just didn’t want to have to work with different builders and in the end it was easier this way.

It would look so fucking weird if I did. I thought about it once, but it would look like total shit.

Haven’t kept up with the your neighbor thread. Maybe you have a hole pre-dug for your next pool and you can fill the leaf magnet in and take your wall down?

closing on a new house here in Houston pretty soon and budgeting for a new pool as well. Looking to see how much others have spent on there pools and what material you went with or recommend like vinyl, concrete/gunite, or fiberglass. So far seems like $45-$50k will get me what im looking for and im set on a chlorine pool due to having dogs that will be in and out of it and a saltwater pool will damage there eyes. So let me know about your experience and how much $$$$$ you put into it to better gauge what im looking at. Included a pic of type quality im after. Pool in the pic was a total cost of $55k

View attachment 7138130View attachment 7138131
A neighbor put that size / design pool in using a big company, sans the water features, and it cost him $100k.

I build more elaborate pools with waterfalls and mine start at $150k.

Looks like the pool in the pics need to be shocked.

1607308640448.png

Last edited:
The original owner put the property on the market and it sold within a week. The new owner called me today from California and introduced himself and said the reason he bought the new house on 30 acres was because of my pool.

Attachments

• 1607310066324.png
    1607310066324.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 80
Reactions: 1moaoff and missed