• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

how much different does different primers matter?

hershey

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2007
northern ohio
i see guys always posting which primer they are using. in this day and age, one answer might be anything that you can find. but in reality, w/ the multitude of variables, i/e type of brass, powders, seating depths, bullet weights, twist rates etc. is there that much to be gained w/ throwing primer variables into the mix of testing too?

i have learned to pick a few givens and then fine tune a few variables for a load, but i have never used anything but a federal blue box primer ever, just wondering if i am missing out on something major here.

my givens are 308, 30" 1-10 tube, r-p brass, varget, 168 smk's. my variables are seating depth and powder load. just broke the barrel in and got the scope on paper, now it is time to get serious.

Re: how much different does different primers matter?

i have asked the same question and tried most primers and i can tell you i really am not seeing a difference worth mentioning as far as shooting the exact same load aside of the primer. fwiw

IMO(and it isn't worth much) ,I don't think there is much difference until you get down to Benchrest precision were you can notice clear differences of 1/8 inch or more while changing variables.
I have always used WSR primers,but have used federals a few times as well.
I think a lot of components are incorrectly blamed or praised for there part when its usually some other variable that made the difference.
Thats what I find for myself anyways.
I just try and stick to basics more and more and work on consistency.
Even though I always favor WSR for the way they seat and feel using a hand held primer.I feel almost any primer would give me the same result for the precision level Me and my Rifle(ar15) are capable of..
My accuracy hovers between 1/2" to 3/4" prone off a bipod If I have my head on straight.If everything is perfect I have layed down some 10 shot groups 1/2" and some better 5 shot groups but My point is If I switched primers I don't think anything would change for better or worse undermy shooting conditions.
Quite honestly the biggest variable is Me
smile.gif

I think if you and your rifle shoot better than 1/2" groups I would consider trying primer differences

JMO

Not owning a .308 I can't speak to your exact cartridge, but in my .243 Win. shooting 107SMKs I get much better ES and SD using magnum primers in lieu of regular ones.

I've conversed with others at different forums who've experienced similar results. YMMV.

Re: how much different does different primers matt

h29zo85.jpg
There is frequently enough difference to measure. It depends on the powder and the cartridge.

h29zo86.jpg
The only difference in the load the two targets were shot with was the primer.

For the 308 Winchester with Varget, I would suggest you try CCI 250 Large Rifle Magnum primers.