• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes how much elevation does 1/2" height delta at scope translate to at 100 yards?

GeminiZ06

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2013
Equipment: Remington 700 5R in 308 w/ Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50 G2 FFP with nightforce ultralite rings medium (1 inch) and ultralite 20 MOA base (definitely playing into issue).

Problem: The 20 MOA base is playing into this. Bottoming out the scope and yet the POI is roughly 2 feet about POA at 100 yards (hitting the berm high above the target stand). With the scope bottomed out, I targeted downrange and found the POA to match POI at 475 yards!!

Problem 2: The base is bedded to this rifle. I have other 1.5" rings (didn't take to the range) for 34mm tube - I would prefer not having to purchase a 0 MOA base.

How much would the extra 1/2 inch a the scope add up to at 100 yards with 20 MOA base?

Thoughts?

if the scopes objective lens is making contact with the barrel then you need taller rings ....

I agree with hermosabeach, your scope should have (as published) 50 MOA adjustment-that's 25up and 25 down from center. With a 20MOA base you should be 5 down 45up (equivalent). firing 24MOA high at 100-something is really wrong.

Are you watching the reticle move while you are cranking the turret? If so, might actually be adding elevation instead of lowering the POI.

OFG

1/2" taller rings will only buy you 1/2" at 100 yards. Sounds to me like the bedding job has gone bad making it a virtual 50MOA base.

I agree with hermosabeach, your scope should have (as published) 50 MOA adjustment-that's 25up and 25 down from center. With a 20MOA base you should be 5 down 45up (equivalent). firing 24MOA high at 100-something is really wrong.

The XRS has 31.5 mils or 108 MOA of elevation travel. The specs online are way off.
If the OP is unable to zero at 100 yards with just a 20 MOA base, there's something else seriously out of whack with the rifle/base combo.