• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much felt recoil do muzzlebrakes suppress?

Forrestman

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
Louisville, KY
The reason for my question is that F-class competitions don't permit muzzle-brakes and I want to try my new TRG-42/338 LM out at the 1000yd mark. The military base range in my area is only available during sanctioned matches. The recoil is pretty stout with the muzzle-brake using 300 gr. SMK bullets, does anyone have experience shooting this setup without a muzzle-brake? My shoulder may be too old to try this experiment.

Re: How much felt recoil do muzzlebrakes suppress?

You might want to think twice before pulling the brake and touching a round off. Having seen a 338 LM shot without a brake, I'm glad it wasn't my shoulder!

That what I was thinking, it doesn't feel great with a brake. Thanks for the feedback.

Though I wouldn't do it myself I'd like to see someone try...maybe you could get one of your less-liked friends to try your "new 308"...hahaha!
I have a Remmy 338 with the factory brake and though the blast is awesome the felt recoil is like a stout 308.Wouldn't even THINK about taking it off though...

I'm out on the range right now taking a break reading some SH.

I just pulled the break off my friends .338.

It bruised me. And sort of rattled my brain a bit as well...

your TRG brake will reduce the recoil by around 38-40%

Ive a TRG S in .338 lapua, it weights less than 7lbs and it is the most horribly recoiling rifle you can imagine, shooting it with out some form of recoil reduction device is not an option i like.

We fitted a Knoxx stock (thier version of the Hogue) to my employees .270win Sendero the other day, that system also reduces recoil considerably.

Pete

Hi the 338 Lapua is fine to shoot without a break in a hunting rifle but as soon as you go prone it is a diferent thing all of the recoil is taken directly by your shoulder. This is the reason most dont use anything bigger than a 7mm Mag some use a 30 cal but to equil the 7mm mag you have to shoot a projectile 50gr heavier at the same speed just to be on parity.

Also in most places the 8mm cal is the largest available for use and is that way in international competitions. I know in the US that up to 35 cal is now allowed but without muzzle breaks it is not an option. In europe they allow the use of silencers so the larger calibres can be used there, If you are at a smaler range and not shooting in a comp the clubs sometimes allow you to use a break off to the side.

SO dont remove the break and shoot it prone or it might hurt you especialy if you have a shoulder injury.

Some breaks can work well enough to totaly remove the felt recoil and move the rifle forward but it comes down to the weight of the rifle the amount of the gas and muzzle break desighn. the 243AI we just build does not move at all but using 50gr of slow powder and a 105gr A MAx the relativly small weight of the projectile is countered by the massive amount of gasses to make the break work.

Shooting a 338 without the brake does not sound like a fun day for me, shoot somethiing else at the matches if they dont allow brakes

Bill, rather your shoulder than mine. Ive developed a recoil sensitive shoulder.

during our muzzle brake testing for this diploma study with the University of Applied Science we managed to work out that a rifle in a typical hunting type caliber and weight, say from .308win upwards and maybe 3.5kg-4.5kg in weight (+ scope) actualy puts more peak force back on your shoulder than is permissable in the Health & Safety Regulations that cover the vibrations, and forces induced to a human body during the course of a working day.

Its not currentyl possibel in all EU countries to use supressors,although we have laws saying that we must,.. hopefully that will change.

Regards Pete

A lot of ranges will let you shoot the match with your brake on for no score. You will be put way to the side like a leaper, but you still get the experience and data you are after. Ask and see what they say.

Thanks to all that replied, as always I have learned from fellow shooters. I thought I would see that it wasn't good move to let off a round in this caliber without a brake, but like most anything, it is better to ask those who know more than yourself.

I have a brake for my TRG 300 Win Mag. Felt recoil is almost zero. Could shoot all day long with it.

Matches in my area don't like it. With the brake off, it does pound my shoulder. (I can't imagine .338 Lapua.) 5 shots prone, and it's bruising my shoulder. I did get a Limbsaver shoulder pad to offset that, which helps quite a bit. 40 shots and my shoulder's tender, but not really bruised.

Here's the thing. I really prefer the brake. I'll take it off as a courtesy to fellow shooters in match. But really, I'm finding 300 Win Mag to be overkill for match in terms of ammo, barrel wear, shoulder wear---.338 I would think even moreso. Something smaller like 6.5 Creedmoor looks to be emerging as a fav for match. But then, I didn't get the 300 Win Mag as a dedicated match rifle. Instead, I'm using the match as a setting to take a big gun to the 600-1000yrd ranges, and I'd assume that's how you're viewing your .338.

Nik