• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How much magnification is needed?

jre4192

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2011
Ohio
I just found out that a local club is running varmint matches on a monthly basis. The match is shot at a 2 inch bullseye at 300 yards from the prone position. I have a varmint upper on order from WOA and am shopping for a scope. I've never shot beyond 100 yards and am wondering how much magnification do i need to see the 2 inch bullseye at 300 yards? I dont expect to see bullet holes just curious about the bullseye itself.

Re: How much magnification is needed?

High quality glass in medium to low mirage can see .30 cal bullet holes at 300 yards on contrasting targets.

I can see .30 cal holes most days at 300 with my Vortex Razor at 20x. I shoot on a 1" black diamond on white paper. IIRC it is still visible at 10-15x, but I rarely shoot at less than 20x when I am trying to hit sub-moa targets.

If you have a 15-20x maximum magnification, I would use that. If you don't then run what you have. If you don't have anything, then your budget will have a lot to do with what will work best.

Right now my max budget is 500 or so. I'm looking at Weaver v24s, bushnell elite 4200's and a nikon monarch.

A 20x would do just fine for that distance! If you could, no shame picking up a 25x. I am currently in the process of picking up a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50 for my .308 that will be used a lot for long range varmint.

For that distance and that application, 20x would be more than enough. If you go any higher, mirage can become an issue. If you're going with a variable power, you can always turn it down.

Max magnification and mirage can be an issue if you're trying to spot misses and the reticle has to be at max for proper measurment but, that is not the issue for this application.

In addition to magnification, choose a reticle wisely. You don't want something overly thick that will obscure too much of such a small target.

So sounds like a 6-24x is what I'm looking for. What would you guys recommend in the $400-$500 range?

It seems like the older I get I have become a better shot. And I have noticed that I need less and less power for good accurate shoting. Anymore 15X or 16X is more than enough power for all my long distance shooting. Which is shots out to about 800 yards.

I put a NF 3X15 on my new Cooper 22-250 for long distance ground hog hunting. And I can't see any need what so ever for any more power than that 15X. Tom.