• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How offten do you clean the crown?

supermoto917

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2011
SF Bay Area CA
I was changing out my POF muzzle brake ( picked up a Titan ) Noticed there were some crusty carbon that I guess eventually builds up where the muzzle starts and the crown begins. It wasn't hard to flake off but I'm sure this has some effect on accuracy. So for grins and shizzles i took off my vortex flash hider off on of my Daniel Defense carbine and wow it's amazing how much junk can build up after 2k rounds. I have yet to clean my other DD carbine that has more round count.

Re: How offten do you clean the crown?

Same issue here. Brakes and supressors, I've been told, naturally cause carbon build up on a perfectly good crown. I thread off the brake and clean off the carbon build up from the crown after every time I shoot. Which is about 80 to 100 rounds per session.

I've been told by some to not remove and replace the timed brake to clean the carbon off the crown and that I'll change the POI or damage the crown if I thread the brake back on too tight. Well, I havn't had any problems yet with a changing POI or causing damage to the crown by overtighting the brake. I just snug the brake back on gently by hand and no problems. Lines up perfectly every time. Removing the carbon for me does return it's "laser" accuracy. I use Carb-Out to soften up the carbon build up and it works great after an overnight soak.

Mine is self-cleaning every time I pull the trigger.

one fix after you clean the barrel ..put some gunzzlia on the crown ...it helps against built up ...

To be honest even though I found some carbon crusty stuff stuck on the crown I didn't affect the accuracy of the rifle. And as the crown getting damaged it's probably more likely to happen on a Stainless steel barrel than a cold hammer forged chrome molly barrel. I don't know if it really has a benefit but figured I would ask since in any normal condition black carbon crusty stuff means bad.

Every time I clean the gun. Ain't got nothing on the end of that barrel so I might as well, while I'm at it.

I run allot of Brakes and have found that SeaFoam removed the carbon very well without and mechanical intervention.

I've never given it much thought. But I read this thread and decided I would check my rifles with brakes and sure enough there was some nice little mounds in there.
You guys are giving me more gun chores! That's OK though I don't mind.
wink.gif

I found that whenever I remove a muzzle device (suppressor, flash suppressor, or muzzle brake), I have to be extremely careful to put it back on in exactly the same position, or point of impact is effected. So, I began to put witness marks on any rifle on whicj I intend to remove and replace the muzzle device.

I seldom remove a muzzle device just to clean the crown though.

All my stuff is rocksett on so I never clean them unless they require servicing and the removal which is a PITA. Needless to say I never experience accuracy issues associated with a dirty crown.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt2143</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All my stuff is rocksett on so I never clean them unless they require servicing and the removal which is a PITA. Needless to say I never experience accuracy issues associated with a dirty crown. </div></div>

Same here. I figure I don't need to fix anything until it is broke.

I've never cleaned by POF crown. I just let the stuff cake off on it's own.

I never cleaned the crown of an AR, unless I'm switching FH's for some reason. Since it's right in front of me, I'll give it some attention. Never had accuracy issues following this rule of thought.