• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How often do you clean your rifle

Placebo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
Illinois, Big rock
hey everyone I have been reading all over here and read some people, me included clean our rifles after firing whereas some say they might do it every 100 or more rounds. Could I get a consensus on this. Am I taking some life out of my barrel by cleaning every time i come back from the range. Hope this is the right section to post in.

Thanks in advance.
P

Re: How often do you clean your rifle

You will never get a "consensus" on this. Everyone has a different technique...

Over cleaning will kill a barrels life.

Each barrel responds to different cleaning methods differently.

Dont over clean period

Thanks Knight for the quick reply. I will probably clean maybe after a couple trips to range instead of every.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Placebo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey everyone I have been reading all over here and read some people, me included clean our rifles after firing whereas some say they might do it every 100 or more rounds. Could I get a consensus on this. Am I taking some life out of my barrel by cleaning every time i come back from the range. Hope this is the right section to post in.

Thanks in advance.
P </div></div>

I do not think that you can 'over clean' a rifle. I just find it hard to believe that an incredibly hot chunk of metal can tear through a barrel at 2,800 FPS, but that cloth patch with Rem OIL and Hoppe's No.9 on it is going to damage your rifle.

Do whatever makes you happy brother. I would however recommend a bore guide, and to use the copper solvent crap sparingly.

Personally, I will clean my rifle after I get back from the range. It is part of the whole experience for me that I enjoy..

Haven't touched my AR after about 1000 rounds
smile.gif